Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

21 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

My favourite shot is this one:

giphy.gif

I could write thesis how this shot is the most groundbreaking piece of moving art history in terms of film semiotics.

Great choice, I've argued with close friends who are art dealers and curators that a single frame of Avatar is worth more (not merely in terms of work hours which it patently is) than the Mona Lisa, much to their chagrin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, feasby007 said:

It was never a wish... only ever a prediction, my hope was that I get the timing right so that both Jim and I benefit from it.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:18 AM, dashrendar44 said:

My favourite shot is this one:

giphy.gif

I could write thesis how this shot is the most groundbreaking piece of moving art history in terms of film semiotics.

This was the best scene in the film. For a lot of it I was "yawn, this is a Pocahontas redux", but this scene hit hard. Cameron always pulls through. We love a real director.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 5:41 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Great choice, I've argued with close friends who are art dealers and curators that a single frame of Avatar is worth more (not merely in terms of work hours which it patently is) than the Mona Lisa, much to their chagrin. 

The Mona Lisa is worth $620 million. At a $237 million budget (that includes work hours) with a 2hrs 40min running time at 24 frames per second, each frame of Avatar cost about $1029. So no.

• Like 1

when can we expect the marketing rollout to start of Avatar 2? I'm not sure how many people realize its coming out in December 2020. They should honestly start it from this November itself much like how TFA started marketing a year earlier to build up the hype. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shruth said:

when can we expect the marketing rollout to start of Avatar 2? I'm not sure how many people realize its coming out in December 2020. They should honestly start it from this November itself much like how TFA started marketing a year earlier to build up the hype. 

Probably a few months before release like the first, once they can cut a strong trailer.

• Like 1

My main concern here is the scale.

Cameron always pushed that boundary for the industry.

Bay and Jackson and superheroes followed in his footsteps.

Wonder how far he will go with these movies.

Show them that ol' Canuck Manhood, Jim !

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hunch said:

The Mona Lisa is worth $620 million. At a $237 million budget (that includes work hours) with a 2hrs 40min running time at 24 frames per second, each frame of Avatar cost about $1029. So no.

You're right, I phrased it wrongly. I meant to say that the man hours that went into each frame of Avatar are far more than ever went into the Mona Lisa (didn't it take thousands of hours to render the movie on a super computer)? 

Although I'd argue that Avatar is worth $2.8B, you would never say the Mona Lisa is only worth the amount she cost to make would you? That's not a fair comparison you're making in your rebuttal! 

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager

I ended up seeing Avatar again yesterday. Man, it's so sad that after all of this time, Avatar's CGI and green-screen locations blow everyone else's out of the water. Way better special effects than Infinity War (or Black Panther or Aquaman). Seriously it's the most epic movie ever made on its own two feet. It can even match the epicness of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. Very good movie.

My only complaint is James Cameron should have done Alita. That movie would have been great rather than just okay if he had directed Battle Angel. No doubt nobody does blockbusters than James Cameron

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I ended up seeing Avatar again yesterday. Man, it's so sad that after all of this time, Avatar's CGI and green-screen locations blow everyone else's out of the water. Way better special effects than Infinity War (or Black Panther or Aquaman). Seriously it's the most epic movie ever made on its own two feet. It can even match the epicness of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. Very good movie.

My only complaint is James Cameron should have done Alita. That movie would have been great rather than just okay if he had directed Battle Angel. No doubt nobody does blockbusters than James Cameron

It's a shame we can't have multiple Jim's making the films we want to see.

The amount of prep and energy he's put into the Avatar sequels is potentially more than ever seen before in filmaking, no time for Alita.

I would rather have Jim working on his own creation than someone elses and his ambition for the sequels is to make his own Star Wars by the most incredible 5 films you have ever seen.

As far as the CGI goes, I agree it's sad that we haven't seen much innovation elsewhere. Jim has been Hollywood's R&D team for far too long, can't someone else step up and match Jim? Avatar still looks incredible, I watch it monthly.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It's a shame we can't have multiple Jim's making the films we want to see.

The amount of prep and energy he's put into the Avatar sequels is potentially more than ever seen before in filmaking, no time for Alita.

I would rather have Jim working on his own creation than someone elses and his ambition for the sequels is to make his own Star Wars by the most incredible 5 films you have ever seen.

As far as the CGI goes, I agree it's sad that we haven't seen much innovation elsewhere. Jim has been Hollywood's R&D team for far too long, can't someone else step up and match Jim? Avatar still looks incredible, I watch it monthly.

Ding ding ! Scary how nothing to me (aside from the Apes films and then again, they take place on Earth) comes close to Avatar in terms of VFX work. 

• Like 1

James Cameron has earned the right to take his time to develop these Avatar sequels. Much of the problem of blockbusters is that they simply don't have enough time in all facets of production. Release dates are set before any development of the films are done. It's why I hope the Avatar sequels will be even better than the first one (which I like but don't love the way I love some of Cameron's other films) because he's taken 10 years to get them ready. 

10 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Welcome to the Jim Gang WB - here's your free 3D glasses... 

• Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Alita got locked friends. Back to Avatar hype we have to go... 

The Alita thread was a blast just like the movie. 

tAgBSSo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

We’ll have to settle for talking about the biggest and best movie sequel of all time. B) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1