Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

All is not well in wonderland....

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/avatar-2-james-cameron-talks-jake-neytiri-family-sequel-exclusive/

When we left Jake Sully at the end of Avatar, he was about to start a whole new life – leaving his Earthly body behind, and entering a Na’vi body to live among Neytiri and her fellow Pandora-dwellers. By the time the sequel comes around in 2020, the pair’s relationship will have moved forward considerably, as James Cameron himself revealed in a new Empire interview. 

Talking for a very special Empire Podcast documentary for Empire 30 – a 30-minute Avatar making-of, featuring brand new interviews and insights – the filmmaker revealed some interesting tidbits about the highly-secretive sequel. For one, it’s set several years on from the 2009 original – Jake and Neytiri are still together, and they now have an eight year-old daughter. Cameron detailed a ‘critical’ argument scene between the bickering parents, shot from the point of view of their kid – all part of the ‘emotional rollercoaster’ that Jake faces in the coming instalments.

“There’s a three-page argument scene between Jake and Neytiri, a marital dispute, very, very critical to the storyline,” Cameron explains on the Avatar Podumentary. “I wound up shooting it all from the point of view of the eight year old hiding under the structure and peeking in […] Having gone through the experience with [Sam Worthington] on Avatar, I now knew how to write the Jake character going forward across the emotional rollercoaster of the next four movies. It’s been tough on him. He’s done two pictures back to back now, because we did 2 and 3 together. He had to go to some dark places.”

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

All is not well in wonderland....

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/avatar-2-james-cameron-talks-jake-neytiri-family-sequel-exclusive/

When we left Jake Sully at the end of Avatar, he was about to start a whole new life – leaving his Earthly body behind, and entering a Na’vi body to live among Neytiri and her fellow Pandora-dwellers. By the time the sequel comes around in 2020, the pair’s relationship will have moved forward considerably, as James Cameron himself revealed in a new Empire interview. 

Talking for a very special Empire Podcast documentary for Empire 30 – a 30-minute Avatar making-of, featuring brand new interviews and insights – the filmmaker revealed some interesting tidbits about the highly-secretive sequel. For one, it’s set several years on from the 2009 original – Jake and Neytiri are still together, and they now have an eight year-old daughter. Cameron detailed a ‘critical’ argument scene between the bickering parents, shot from the point of view of their kid – all part of the ‘emotional rollercoaster’ that Jake faces in the coming instalments.

“There’s a three-page argument scene between Jake and Neytiri, a marital dispute, very, very critical to the storyline,” Cameron explains on the Avatar Podumentary. “I wound up shooting it all from the point of view of the eight year old hiding under the structure and peeking in […] Having gone through the experience with [Sam Worthington] on Avatar, I now knew how to write the Jake character going forward across the emotional rollercoaster of the next four movies. It’s been tough on him. He’s done two pictures back to back now, because we did 2 and 3 together. He had to go to some dark places.”

I'm a little surprised how far forward in time it progresses, but I guess we knew it would be anyway due to the child actors they'd brought on.

However, the synopsis provided here is worrying me a bit. I mean I trust Jim to get it right, but if the thing he's so excited about he has to tell the public is a scene with bickering parents... I'm not so sure. Kinda sounds like this epic is being converted into a rom-drama

I'm sure this is all part of a plan, but for now I'm not entirely satisfied.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I hope it doesn't turn into The Godfather - Pandora Chronicles.....I've seen that movie already, the other thing that Landau has mentioned several times is the exploration of other tribes, I'm not sure if this will draw my interest or not, will I care about the Plains tribe, the Ocean tribe, the Northern Ice tribe etc....it's starting to sound a little bit like Game of Thrones (which I love). Am I going to be reading sub titles for 3/4 of the movie or will they suddenly learn to speak english? 

No doubt the humans will be back and won't be playing nice that's one conflict that is not going away. 

He's promised if you loved Avatar you'll love the sequels. Trust in the greatest living director.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Trust in Jim.

All of Jim's storys are grounded by characters, that's just his style.

Also it takes the Venture Star 4 years to travel between Pandora and Earth each way, so that's 8 years right there. They do have quantum tunneling for sending tiny amounts of data but I got a feeling it won't be until Selfridge has made it back to tell the fullstory the humans will make their move. Not sure if badman Quaritch is on the Venture Star or still on Pandora... anyway 8 years is the minimum for the timeskip

• Like 2

They will hopefully re-use many of the amazing cues Horner wrote for Avatar, so the burden to come up with awesome stuff for the new composer should be in a way somewhat lessened. JunkieXL proofed with BvS he can and is willing to work within such constraints.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

They will hopefully re-use many of the amazing cues Horner wrote for Avatar, so the burden to come up with awesome stuff for the new composer should be in a way somewhat lessened. JunkieXL proofed with BvS he can and is willing to work within such constraints.

lmao no we're not having Junkie XL.

I would boycott the film if that happened.

• Disbelief 2

27 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Junkie XL's style of music worked very well for Alita but I don't know if he's a good pick to compose the Avatar sequels. I think someone like Ludwig Goransson would be a better fit than him.

1 hour ago, Rorschach said:

Junkie XL's style of music worked very well for Alita but I don't know if he's a good pick to compose the Avatar sequels. I think someone like Ludwig Goransson would be a better fit than him.

JunkieXL has proven to be quite versatile. With James Cameron taking him to the next level and stopping his worst excesses, while highlighting his talents, I could easily see him doing Avatar 2 and it having a great soundtrack. The last soundtrack I really fell in love with was... Fury Road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Koalablanc said:

Honestly these sequels could be pretty good. After all the world foundations are already in place and some epic story can come out of it. I wonder how good the technology they use for this will make the movie look. 

take the best looking CGI money shots from the original movie and apply across the entire movie 

• Like 1

Who is your "go to" reviewer ever since Roger Ebert passed away? Roger Ebert appreciated James Cameron in a way few "elite" reviewers do, giving 4/4 to Titanic and 4/4 to Avatar.

Miss the guy :whosad: 

I skipped RT and went straight to his reviews, I found him much more accurate, and even when he didn't like the movie, he'd explain his reasoning well, and he always pointed out what the film did well in case you were a genre fan or something.

• Like 2

Avatar looks so photoreal on so many levels, my brain can't comprehend how much "better" this should and is supposed to look with all the advancements since then and much of the heavy lifting being "done". I still find Avatar to be the most impressive VFX heavy film out there with the Apes films, Alita, The Jungle Book and Ready Player One behind them. It might be the oldest by a big margin and yet it still holds up like crazy. The shot (because of the lighting, the situation, etc) of Neytiri with her hand on Jake's chest just as he's about to lasso a banshee, and he says "Outstanding" is the most mindblowing to me, it's what cemented the Na'Vis as beings who could very well be real and indeed living on another planet. 

The VFX is still unreal, to think it was done ten years + ago (considering they were working on those shots for years before it was released) is insanity. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Avatar looks so photoreal on so many levels, my brain can't comprehend how much "better" this should and is supposed to look with all the advancements since then and much of the heavy lifting being "done". I still find Avatar to be the most impressive VFX heavy film out there with the Apes films, Alita, The Jungle Book and Ready Player One behind them. It might be the oldest by a big margin and yet it still holds up like crazy. The shot (because of the lighting, the situation, etc) of Neytiri with her hand on Jake's chest just as he's about to lasso a banshee, and he says "Outstanding" is the most mindblowing to me, it's what cemented the Na'Vis as beings who could very well be real and indeed living on another planet. 

The VFX is still unreal, to think it was done ten years + ago (considering they were working on those shots for years before it was released) is insanity. 

My favourite shot is this one:

giphy.gif

I could write thesis how this shot is the most groundbreaking piece of moving art history in terms of film semiotics.

• Like 3