Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

Not at all. Cameron surely had some influence but he only showed up once on set and made it clear to Rodriguez that it was his movie. 

I'd believe it but based on a lot of stuff, such as Cameron being a big part of marketing around the time, Cameron was still a driving force, still wrote the script etc.

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Being a producer is something completely different than being the director. Cameron wrote a treatment of the script a long time ago when he was supposed to do the film but the actual movie script was done by Rodriguez. And he was off hands during filming. It would have been a completely different movie with Cameron at the helm.

Now whether it would have done better is anyone's guess. I really like the film we got and it's a shame we probably won't get a sequel.

Cameron did the script. He's credited along with Laeta Kalogridis for it. 

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Now whether it would have done better is anyone's guess. I really like the film we got and it's a shame we probably won't get a sequel.

So long as the Avatar saga does Jim numbers I think there is a good chance we see Alita sequels. 

Just now, watcher1232 said:

I'd believe it but based on a lot of stuff, such as Cameron being a big part of marketing around the time, Cameron was still a driving force, still wrote the script etc.

Of course he was a big part of the marketing. James Cameron is a much bigger name than Robert Rodriguez. It’s like how the trailers for Man of Steel made a big deal out of Christopher Nolan’s involvement, even though it was still a Zack Snyder movie overall.

• Like 1

Camerons track record of sequels atleast is extremely promising:

Aliens is a masterpiece and a true sci-fi-action classic.

Terminator 2 is a classic as well and arguably better than Terminator 1.

I dont count Piranha 2 because anyone who knows that films production history knows that it wasnt really Camerons movie.

Now, that could mean a lot or nothing in regards to this movie but imo, quality-wise there are good reasons to expect a very good movie.

• Like 2

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Of course he was a big part of the marketing. James Cameron is a much bigger name than Robert Rodriguez. It’s like how the trailers for Man of Steel made a big deal out of Christopher Nolan’s involvement, even though it was still a Zack Snyder movie overall.

Yeah and it still didn't make that much money. I like Alita, a lot actually, but I'm just saying acting like if Cameron directed it would make a difference is kind of ridiculous.

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

So long as the Avatar saga does Jim numbers I think there is a good chance we see Alita sequels. 

2 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

It's much bigger than that. Cameron owns ALL the rights to alita. Any anime studio that wants to do something with it goes through him. 

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Could the Avatar re-release pass NWH lol

There are so many people who never had the chance to see this how it was supposed to be seen - in 3D. I think there's an excellent chance we see a mini-WOM boom for the re-release. 

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Could the Avatar re-release pass NWH lol

$50m domestic with these ticket prices and with a well-marketed wide re-release with little in the way of competition for nearly a month sounds very doable.

• Like 1

Just now, hw64 said:

$50m domestic with these ticket prices and with a well-marketed wide re-release with little in the way of competition for nearly a month sounds very doable.

With inflation tickets might just be 100 bucks a pop come September too. 

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

He's credited because he wrote the first draft when he was supposed to do the film a long time ago. Rodriguez of course took parts of it and condensed it.

• Like 1

Just now, Elessar said:

He's credited because he wrote the first draft when he was supposed to do the film a long time ago. Rodriguez of course took parts of it and condensed it.

Going by WGA rules if Rodriguez wrote any significant part of it, he'd be the one credited. Rodriguez definitely did edits on it but it's still Cameron's script.

28 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Cameron was so involved with Alita (with his name on it way more than Rodriguez) including writing it and overseeing so much of it that to act like it would've done better if he was in the director's seat is disingenuous at best.

You give two different directors the same script and you are gonna get two completely different movies. 

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with Cameron rerealesing Avatar...it has been long enough that you have a whole bunch of people who have never seen it on the big screen just on video......but to say it  is going to be a huge grosser and make more then NWH is just plain silly.

7 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Yeah and it still didn't make that much money. I like Alita, a lot actually, but I'm just saying acting like if Cameron directed it would make a difference is kind of ridiculous.

It matters in a nebulous sense, like, maybe no one would have been able to articulate the difference but if was actually planned out and shepherded by him and promoted as a huge event the way the Avatar sequels have been, it may have made it a much bigger deal. Alita may have had his name on it but the marketing never made it feel like much more than a middling sci-fi trifle to fill a spot in February that just had some big names associated with it.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1