Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Those hands looked real. Has he done it?

I don't quite remember what hands you're talking about.

There were a couple scenes that blew my mind though, it looks visually stunning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Those hands looked real. Has he done it?

The hands and the lips

The most stunning shot in a stunning trailer was the one at the end where Jake (im pretty sure) does the hand motion whiles he rides the flying crocodile

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

I expect more live action component in the teaser since they took 1 year to shot live action part (8 months in 2019 and another 4 months across 2020) after finishing the motion capture parts. Although that 1 year was spent to shot for both A2 and A3, 6 months each is still quite a long production period since I believe most of the shooting take place in studio soundstage.  

Again, I would caution in attempting to "define" the production period -- these productions are unlike any other in film history, and Cameron is refining his vision as they move along, and as the technology consistently advances.  Yes, they have schedules.  But yes, the schedules are also always adapting and being added to by new technological/aesthetic opportunities.  

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Spectacular Visuals have become normal for Hollywood blockbusters.

I thnk Cameron is going to have give us a much better film in terms of writing and a stronger story if this film is going to come anywhere near the original in terms of box office.

Exactly.  If visual feasts were still dominant just because of the tech a film like moonfall would have been a massive success. Western audiences care more about story and character interaction in blockbusters imo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Spectacular Visuals have become normal for Hollywood blockbusters.

I thnk Cameron is going to have give us a much better film in terms of writing and a stronger story if this film is going to come anywhere near the original in terms of box office.

They have? I mean sure we have gigantic movies with more and more CGI everyday but they don´t look spectacular at all beyond a few titles.

I do believe the story here will be better and it will help the movie for sure, but i don´t think people really showed up for months to watch Avatar just because it was good looking, the script on the first one despite all the simplistic writing and lack of originality ended up working just fine for the movie, that´s why not only it have insane legs everywhere but also receive critical acclaim and several nominations for awards.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They have? I mean sure we have gigantic movies with more and more CGI everyday but they don´t look spectacular at all beyond a few titles.

I do believe the story here will be better and it will help the movie for sure, but i don´t think people really showed up for months to watch Avatar just because it was good looking, the script on the first one despite all the simplistic writing and lack of originality ended up working just fine for the movie, that´s why not only it have insane legs everywhere but also receive critical acclaim and several nominations for awards.

But the simplistic writing also has caused a more neg critical reevaluation over the past few years with people bringing up valid criticisms over certain aspects of the plot.

12 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

But the simplistic writing also has caused a more neg critical reevaluation over the past few years with people bringing up valid criticisms over certain aspects of the plot.

That doesn't mean people hate it and it's inclined to pass the sequel because of that. I think the script is lazy in originality and dialogues and i still think is a damn good movie. 

And tbh the reception online of the teaser and images is overall excellent, so yeah i doubt people online finding the script of the original weak will have big impact.

• Like 1

Just got back from a late night showing of Doctor Strange in IMAX. And for the first time in 4 years, having watched over 350 films in the cinema (I've had unlimited passes in the uk), this was the first time there were no trailers.

I was gonna watch DS anyway, but specifically booked imax to watch the Avatar 2 trailer cause I'm hyped for it, and yet Cineworld decided they weren't gonna show that trailer or any trailer, just so they could go home 20 minutes earlier. Surely Disney would've made it contractual?

Either way, I'm now having to settle and wait to watch the trailer when it releases online :(

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

That doesn't mean people hate it and it's inclined to pass the sequel because of that. I think the script is lazy in originality and dialogues and i still think is a damn good movie. 

And tbh the reception online of the teaser and images is overall excellent, so yeah i doubt people online finding the script of the original weak will have big impact.

That's true but I disagree as more people call out certain tropes the more issues it brings up for the 2nd film

Pleasantly surprised by how colorful this is

Haven't seen the 1st one since 2012 on a mall display tv, so I checked out the trailer, and it looked much greyer and murkier than I remembered 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator