Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Curious to see how this does. On the one hand the criticisms about the first movie having a meagre legacy are somewhat warranted; on the other hand in a world of peak MCU saturation even a goddamn Avatar sequel feels like a breath of fresh air.

And sorry Jim - however I end up watching this it won't be in 3D. Fool me once...

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Curious to see how this does. On the one hand the criticisms about the first movie having a meagre legacy are somewhat warranted; on the other hand in a world of peak MCU saturation even a goddamn Avatar sequel feels like a breath of fresh air.

And sorry Jim - however I end up watching this it won't be in 3D. Fool me once...

You didn't like Avatar (2009s) 3D?

• Like 1

I got the trailer before my showing of Strange tonight. It doesn't look as visually groundbreaking as the original unquestionably was but it was full of breathtakingly beautiful images and one has to imagine the most jaw-dropping shots either aren't ready yet or are being saved for later marketing/when people see the movie.

Edited by filmlover

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I got the trailer before my showing of Strange tonight. It doesn't look as visually groundbreaking as the original unquestionably was but it was full of breathtakingly beautiful images and one has to imagine the most jaw-dropping shots either aren't ready yet or are being saved for later marketing/when people see the movie.

3D?

I don't care if you didn't like the teaser, but that is just a TERRIBLE analysis:

https://www.polygon.com/22971124/avatar-2-trailer-release-date-doctor-strange-2-sequels-pandora

Avatar 2’s first trailer is missing the magic of the original movie

The Na’vi are neat, but Pandora is the real star of this series so far

The first trailer for Avatar: The Way of Water misses out on that majesty. By spotlighting the characters, the trailer reduces Pandora to a banal backdrop that could be any forest or ocean on our own planet, apart from the emphasis on four-finned or four-winged creatures. There are brief shots of numerous new characters, who all look great once again. These characters are frequently riding creatures, but the camera is tightly focused on them, obscuring their mounts and leaving the watery expanses of Pandora’s new regions looking bland.

Firstly this is a 1:30 teaser, and for that length, there are plenty of shots just showcasing the beauty of Pandora. Secondly he complains there is too much focus on characters and that Pandora is the real star, then he proceeds to defeat his own argument:

Avatar’s earliest trailers focused on the beauty of Pandora’s flora and fauna.

Well actually no they didn't. The one he links HEAVILY focuses on characters and story, did he bother watching it? It's full of close-ups of the Na'vi, lots of shots of just plain humans and it focuses on the brewing conflict. I think it's a common misconception people have with Avatar that it's just a slideshow of pretty visuals. You may argue that the story isn't that original, but it doesn't change the fact that the movie is completely driven by story and characters. Cameron is a very efficient storyteller, almost everything that happens on screen has a narrative purpose, it's not just pretty visuals for the sake of it.

Again terrible analysis, but hey at least he enjoyed some of what he saw:

the good news is that what little we do see of Pandora’s new, mostly aquatic regions still looks incredible. The digital rendering is even more impressive than in the first movie, and it seems clear that there will still be plenty of glamorous shots of the planet.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

After tons of criticism on LGBT+. Our cinema board has finally decided to green light few Cinemas in Pakistan. But the worst part is they didn't show any post credit not even Avatar 2 Trailer. 

Our Censor board and cinema owners know how to piss someone off. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The media hating and doubting Jim is all part of the process. Worry not Cameronbros.

Maybe they're all bought by the big Wall Street Corporations that fear the coming recession when everyone is spending their money on Avatar tickets? :qotd:

• Haha 1

Our film industry has collapsed badly few years back due to the fact that they can't make blockbuster movies anymore. Lollywood is term used for our industry but occupied by regional directors and film producers. Our cinema heavily rely on intel Movies. Many people like me and my friends bought tickets just to watch A2 trailer. But at the end we had to fight with them. 

A glimpse. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_Pakistani_films

Edited by Lothar
  • Sad 1