Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The trailer is pulling strong numbers on Twitter, 1M on twitter already and doesn't look frontloaded at all like MCU flicks where most the views came from first 30 minutes.

The problem is the YouTube since they posted in the Avatar channel which have 66k subscribers. But at least it won't be frontloaded, should get strong views in the next days.

And yeah great trailer but the compression in just terrible, the 4K version i found is way better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

We get warned for defending Avatar in an Avatar thread? Are you serious? Whereas the people attacking it get a free pass? Your bias is showing. 

You're not being warned for defending the movie. You're being warned because you're being a dick. The two of you are going after people because they have a mildly different opinion than yours (note that said detractors are also saying positive things) and acting as if they're either idiots or are deliberately trolling because they said mildly negative things over a movie you like. It's immature and insanely disrespectful.

And as for people "attacking" the movie, we let people "attack" movies all the time in other threads. When a Marvel trailer comes out, we let people say they don't like it or think it looks bad. Likewise for Star Wars, DC, Harry Potter, etc. These are movies at the end of the day, and people are allowed to say however they feel about it. The universe won't implode on itself if people say it doesn't look as good, James Cameron won't lose his job because forum users say mildly negative stuff about his movie. It's not a big deal. And if you really can't handle people being mean about a movie that is destined to make billions of dollars and will make the creatives richer than you will ever be, then I suggest you find yourself another forum, because this immaturity doesn't slide here.

And for the record, I agree with you lot and think the visuals on the trailer look incredible and a vast improvement and don't understand the dismissal. But I don't go after them for saying that. It's a movie at the end of the day, it's not worth attacking people over it.

• Like 5

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Actually seeing people be positive about it is melting my heart. Jim has done it again. 

Yeah i notice this when the images appeared on twitter and almost everyone was praising it. 

Now the same is happening for the trailer, great reception on social media.

• Like 2

The first avatar was called the iPhone of cinema. From the teaser itself, I do agree the navi looked far better, both appearance and their movement. This look closer to the digital make up that JC been advocating. But the teaser lack of exciting moment and I suspect they haven’t even finish render the audio at this point of time. 

The first avatar was called the iPhone of cinema. From the teaser itself, I do agree the navi looked far better, both appearance and their movement. This look closer to the digital make up that JC been advocating. But the teaser lack of exciting moment and I suspect they haven’t even finish render the audio at this point of time. 

17 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Disney seems to have dropped the ball in marketing this from the get go. Hopefully they'll put up the 4k VFR one at some point. 

Yeah. I'm surprised they didn't release it on the 20th studios channel

• Like 1

The teaser further convinced me that I already saw the whole story for the sequel. A really really beautiful and powerful story. People probably get wired why Cameron suddenly do Fast and Furious stuff. But don't forget: Both Terminator 2 and Aliens are family-theme stories. One character may be not related to others, but they act and fight like a family against threats.

Ripley is not the mother of the little girl Newt, but her maternity and the desire for survival led her to fight their way out of the crazy planet. T-800 is not John's father, but he act like an old man instead of killing machine under the influence of the boy's moral restraint. In 3rd act, those characters get together to fight for the people and things they love. For Avatar 2, Cameron is going to do the same. A emotional and powerful story.

Can't wait for this.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Eric loves Rey said:

You're not being warned for defending the movie. You're being warned because you're being a dick. The two of you are going after people because they have a mildly different opinion than yours (note that said detractors are also saying positive things) and acting as if they're either idiots or are deliberately trolling because they said mildly negative things over a movie you like. It's immature and insanely disrespectful.

And as for people "attacking" the movie, we let people "attack" movies all the time in other threads. When a Marvel trailer comes out, we let people say they don't like it or think it looks bad. Likewise for Star Wars, DC, Harry Potter, etc. These are movies at the end of the day, and people are allowed to say however they feel about it. The universe won't implode on itself if people say it doesn't look as good, James Cameron won't lose his job because forum users say mildly negative stuff about his movie. It's not a big deal. And if you really can't handle people being mean about a movie that is destined to make billions of dollars and will make the creatives richer than you will ever be, then I suggest you find yourself another forum, because this immaturity doesn't slide here.

And for the record, I agree with you lot and think the visuals on the trailer look incredible and a vast improvement and don't understand the dismissal. But I don't go after them for saying that. It's a movie at the end of the day, it's not worth attacking people over it.

Visual upgrades are difficult to notice in video games for most people as well nowadays. This could be a similar situation 

With the visuals, based on conversations with friends/family, I think that from the perspective of the average theatergoer, there's not a huge difference between Avatar and the trailer for Way of Water. While more attuned fans/visual effects enthusiasts/etc. are going to notice the jump in detail and naturalism for the sequel, Way of Water marks a visual upgrade from what people have seen before as opposed to a visual revolution.

That said, Cameron's on a level of his own as a visual storyteller and I'm fairly confident that the experience of watching Way of Water in a theater in 3D is going to blow audiences out of the (metaphoric) water.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

From what I have heard second hand there is a lot of angry people at Lightstorm on how DIS have handled this so far.

Can’t say I am surprised, Disney have too many franchise to handle. Avatar under them will be like one of their adopted sons but should avatar come under other studio, that will be like their first line heir.

they didn’t even bother to put in 3D in the trailer 

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1