Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220502220600/https://twitter.com/officialavatar
The offcial account had 200k followers back in May 2 (exactly one week ago), now it has 220k followers

You know there are sites that, like, track these things without needing to resort to web archive, right? :P

https://socialblade.com/twitter/user/officialavatar

Picked up about 15k today so far.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Thanks 1

This is getting a lot of hype and a very strong response in places I would not have expected it to. People 100% remembered Avatar fondly and that puts a pin in the "It left no cultural impact" stuff.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

This is getting a lot of hype and a very strong response in places I would not have expected it to. People 100% remembered Avatar fondly and that puts a pin in the "It left no cultural impact" stuff.

Yeah, I mean, ok, maybe it's not snarky or self-aware enough to make for memes or memorable quotes, but I guess it's always been appreciated as the earnest adventure narrative with amazing visuals it is even if people aren't all that vocal about it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Yeah, I mean, ok, maybe it's not snarky or self-aware enough to make for memes or memorable quotes, but I guess it's always been appreciated as the earnest adventure narrative with amazing visuals it is even if people aren't all that vocal about it.

Also the internet's most vocal groups are not the end-all be-all of people who go to the movies. Yes among the 'nerd sphere' or film buff sphere Avatar's more divisive but I'm pretty sure all the average movie-goers who saw it in 09 or bought it on DVD/Blu-Ray were happy with it.

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I always find weird why people demanding that people should talk about Avatar the way people talk about DC / MCU / SW that have decades of content and they´re all memorable because of that. 

Some of the most succesful movies of the past decade like Inception or Gravity also doesn´t generate that much talk, people doesn´t remember the name of almost all characters, it´s good movies and definitely very liked by audiences, but that´s it. 

Of course Avatar is way bigger, but still there wasn´t anything to talk about for nearly a decade, it´s very rare single movies that keeps on conversations for decades like Matrix (everyone dismiss the sequels so it´s basically a standalone movie for most conversations praising it). You can say the lack of a great script is the reason why it doesn´t generate much conversation, but still, that doesn´t mean people hate the movie or doesn´t remember it like internet keep saying every week for years while they also say nobody cares about it. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

Obviously the trailer was going to get some attention. Literally everyone saw the first movie and the 13 year gap between the movies give it a sense of nostalgia. It obviously won't flop but I'm prediction like 400-450 domestic.  It doesn't have the novelty of the first, and I stand by the fact that the first did not have much impact in popular culture in the years following its release.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Obviously the trailer was going to get some attention. Literally everyone saw the first movie and the 13 year gap between the movies give it a sense of nostalgia. It obviously won't flop but I'm prediction like 400-450 domestic.  It doesn't have the novelty of the first, and I stand by the fact that the first did not have much impact in popular culture in the years following its release.  

Good thing this is a box office theory forum and not a pop culture theory forum then eh?

My mom is not a movie person in the slightest, let alone a sci fi person and she was sending me the trailer on Facebook excited for it, she remembers the original fondly. I feel like a lot of the general public who aren't vocal online about movies are probably similar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

My mom is not a movie person in the slightest, let alone a sci fi person and she was sending me the trailer on Facebook excited for it, she remembers the original fondly. I feel like a lot of the general public who aren't vocal online about movies are probably similar.

been saying that about the internet echo chamber forever.

people get a distorted view of whats popular online, because they don't really realise all they're looking at is nerd culture. Like on this site/reddit and other things.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ban1o said:

This guy gets it

• ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Here's an even better version of the trailer, since Vimeo has barely any compression 
EDIT: Vimeo also has it on IMAX ratio

Awesome! Beautiful but there is one blemish, the ugly color artifacting or banding in dark scenes or when it fades to black. Ugh, another case of someone not doing their job correctly / having shitty quality control... Oh, well... 😣

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

been saying that about the internet echo chamber forever.

people get a distorted view of whats popular online, because they don't really realise all they're looking at is nerd culture. Like on this site/reddit and other things.

Really? I think it's more mixed than you realize. I mean some pretty popular comedy YouTubers have been memeing on it for a while.

• ...wtf 1