Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

16 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

kinda dissapointing (relative to my expectactions)

I feel the same tbh, even with the relatively small theatre count, I was thinking 12M+ opening domestically.

But this is still good, and we've got some encouraging international numbers as well, still miles ahead of other recent re-releases. 

35 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I got the whale too and it was HFR 100%. I’ve spoken to people who got non HFR and also got the whale so. Dependant on format/chain/country…who knows?

It seems to me that there's three variation of clips; the Whale is what I got as well (which I really enjoyed), and is probably the most common one, the kids swimming one being also quite common; then there is another clip floating around twitter featuring mainly Tonowari and Lo'ak which has some interesting dynamics, I think that is the third variation but it's quite rare.

Edited by NCsoft

Just came from the cinema watching avatar again on the big screen. Holy shit, after 12 years this still looks phenomenal and in all these years not one single movie was released which comes close regarding visuals. And then i saw the avatar 2 footage in 3D on the big screen 😮😮 WTF??? The visuals were stunning and 3D was out of  this world, even avatar looked like a video game compared to avatar 2. Unbelieveable, cant imagine that (besides from  the avatar movies) any movie will come close regarding 3D and visuals in the next few years.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, my whole family knows about this re-release. Also TIL, my dad watched the first film without the rest of the fam in the cinemas when the it first came out. The rest of us watched it on some bootleg disc.

go see it in cinema it will be worth it, in 3D of course

Edited by IronJimbo

Avatar was probably the main reason to make me want to work with cinema, so watch it on theaters again was really emotional to me. 

But even being focused on the quality alone, this is a masterclass in blockbuster movies. 

Yes, the story is derivative and the dialogues are corny (a charm in all Cameron movies), and still it's extremelly effective and perfectly executed. The world-building here remains insane and the main character imo. 

It's also incredibly directed and edited, to a point that it simply doesn't matter if it reminds of other movies, the craft and the passion here is what makes Avatar stands out. 

Still a 10/10 to me. 

About the sequel scene, i found the dialogue very corny and i hope the character doesn't talk like that for the whole movie. But i'm not judging, it's truly just a WOW moment Without any context, and it does amazes, looks insane. What impresses me the most tho, is that the direction on the scene manage to capture the exact same vibrant and passionate energy from the first one, so i'm very excited.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Avatar was probably the main reason to make me want to work with cinema, so watch it on theaters again was really emotional to me. 

But even being focused on the quality alone, this is a masterclass in blockbuster movies. 

Yes, the story is derivative and the dialogues are corny (a charm in all Cameron movies), and still it's extremelly effective and perfectly executed. The world-building here remains insane and the main character imo. 

It's also incredibly directed and edited, to a point that it simply doesn't matter if it reminds of other movies, the craft and the passion here is what makes Avatar stands out. 

Still a 10/10 to me. 

About the sequel scene, i found the dialogue very corny and i hope the character doesn't talk like that for the whole movie. But i'm not judging, it's truly just a WOW moment Without any context, and it does amazes, looks insane. What impresses me the most tho, is that the direction on the scene manage to capture the exact same vibrant and passionate energy from the first one, so i'm very excited.

what scene did you get?

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

About the sequel scene, i found the dialogue very corny and i hope the character doesn't talk like that for the whole movie. 

I know the lines you're referring too, I had the same feeling when watching it. Though I can't help but wonder if these scenes/dialogues will play out exactly the same way in TWOW, or are there going to be alternative versions in the movie. Maybe some of these are extras just for showcasing the vision.

From what we've seen so far though, it looks like Lo'ak (Jake/Neytiri's second eldest) is going to be quite the character and potentially troublemaker? Can't wait to see his character arc.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

About the sequel scene, i found the dialogue very corny and i hope the character doesn't talk like that for the whole movie. 

29 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I know the lines you're referring too, I had the same feeling when watching it. Though I can't help but wonder if these scenes/dialogues will play out exactly the same way in TWOW, or are there going to be alternative versions in the movie. Maybe some of these are extras just for showcasing the vision.

From what we've seen so far though, it looks like Lo'ak (Jake/Neytiri's second eldest) is going to be quite the character and potentially troublemaker? Can't wait to see his character arc.

I mean...James Cameron's always had corny dialogue in his movies. That's a very important part of his charms as a filmmaker

28 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yeah i wouldn't be surprised if the scene on the actual movie ended up way different. 

And i think the main characters is the kids, hopefully their dialogues will be better than in this tease (i think it will, at least work better with context).

• Like 1

Just now, Eric from Progressive said:

I mean...James Cameron's always had corny dialogue in his movies. That's a very important part of his charms as a filmmaker

100%, but it nearly made me cringe this time, so it was a bizarre feeling since it don't bother me at all in his other movies, i like actually. 

But probably it's just the lack of context since it's just 30s of talking.

37 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

100%, but it nearly made me cringe this time, so it was a bizarre feeling since it don't bother me at all in his other movies, i like actually. 

But probably it's just the lack of context since it's just 30s of talking.

You could say the delivery was a little awkward but that's to be expected in a movie with a lot of very young actors and while Cameron's dialogue may sometimes lack finesse, it is generally very concise so it doesn't really distract from the experience, at least not for me. Plus who doesn't sound silly when talking to animals?

The scene is so well done anyway it could only give me reassurance that Cameron has not lost his touch at all 

• Like 1