Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

34 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

This is why physical media is King 

The king ... of making me buy movies every time they update the format!

My VHS collection isn't getting much use and even if if I did get an HDMI compatible VHS player I'm not sure I would want to watch those on my OLED, same with DVD although much easier to watch admittedly. Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray still look good though, although I would love to have more Dolby Vision support for 4K and a way to Rip a playable Dolby Vision version for preservation. 

26 minutes ago, Potiki said:

The king ... of making me buy movies every time they update the format!

Well no system is perfect!  But when balancing imperfections I like to have a little more control than a little (or even a lot) less.

26 minutes ago, Potiki said:

My VHS collection isn't getting much use and even if if I did get an HDMI compatible VHS player I'm not sure I would want to watch those on my OLED, same with DVD although much easier to watch admittedly. Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray still look good though, although I would love to have more Dolby Vision support for 4K and a way to Rip a playable Dolby Vision version for preservation. 

The "still look good" is of course the important part (as is still being able to play DVDs).  While something like streaming was probably inevitable thanks to supply and demand (massive increase of bandwidth supply making streaming viable in the first place), studios trying to jam a new format down folks throats every few years didn't help one iota when it comes to buying physical media.

The shift from VHS/Beta to DVD was one of both convenience and much greater availability (as well as an improvement in pic quality).  The shift from DVD to BR was an increase in capacity and pic quality.  And the pic quality was mostly good enough to get a decent chunk of people to upgrade again.  Mostly. 

The mistake studios made though was trying to get people to upgrade AGAIN just a few years later with 4k.

And it was a mistake they should have seen coming as even at the DVD -> BR transition there was noticeable resistance as some shows just weren't worth upgrading (or couldn't be upgraded).  Thankfully BR machines (and HDDVDs) can play back DVDs, so it wasn't that much of a problem. But I do think jamming out another format so soon after Blu-Ray won the day was a mistake on the part of studios.

Mind, all things considered, physical media still wins if one is concerned about the capriciousness (or greed) of studios.

I for one don't trust Disney not to pull shenanigans with its content.  It's several regimes ago, of course, but this is the studio that "gave" us the phenomenon known as vaulting that us old timers 'loved' so much.  It's a regime that is currently holding back some classic Fox titles that used to be available to movie theaters for repertory screenings.  And, to drag it back on topic, it is playing games with Avatar.  While the big current Marvel and SW series might be safe over on D+, I don't trust them not to vault smaller series.  Hell, just playing games with Avatar itself shows that even the bigger titles on D+ aren't immune from Disney deciding to get cute should they see a reason.

So, you're right, it ain't perfect.  All things considered though, I like having options.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well no system is perfect!  But when balancing imperfections I like to have a little more control than a little (or even a lot) less.

The "still look good" is of course the important part (as is still being able to play DVDs).  While something like streaming was probably inevitable thanks to supply and demand (massive increase of bandwidth supply making streaming viable in the first place), studios trying to jam a new format down folks throats every few years didn't help one iota when it comes to buying physical media.

The shift from VHS/Beta to DVD was one of both convenience and much greater availability (as well as an improvement in pic quality).  The shift from DVD to BR was an increase in capacity and pic quality.  And the pic quality was mostly good enough to get a decent chunk of people to upgrade again.  Mostly. 

The mistake studios made though was trying to get people to upgrade AGAIN just a few years later with 4k.

And it was a mistake they should have seen coming as even at the DVD -> BR transition there was noticeable resistance as some shows just weren't worth upgrading (or couldn't be upgraded).  Thankfully BR machines (and HDDVDs) can play back DVDs, so it wasn't that much of a problem. But I do think jamming out another format so soon after Blu-Ray won the day was a mistake on the part of studios.

Mind, all things considered, physical media still wins if one is concerned about the capriciousness (or greed) of studios.

I for one don't trust Disney not to pull shenanigans with its content.  It's several regimes ago, of course, but this is the studio that "gave" us the phenomenon known as vaulting that us old timers 'loved' so much.  It's a regime that is currently holding back some classic Fox titles that used to be available to movie theaters for repertory screenings.  And, to drag it back on topic, it is playing games with Avatar.  While the big current Marvel and SW series might be safe over on D+, I don't trust them not to vault smaller series.  Hell, just playing games with Avatar itself shows that even the bigger titles on D+ aren't immune from Disney deciding to get cute should they see a reason.

So, you're right, it ain't perfect.  All things considered though, I like having options.

First off I get the frustrations with the studios/streamers particularly with what has happened in the last couple of months.  Ideally I would like for the best parts of physical media and streaming to be combined but that seems an impossibility so having both is good, although I'd also like more support for both (more Dolby Vision 4K releases and more older catalogue titles on streaming.)

My original comment was a bit of frustration at having 4 physical copies of the original Star Wars trilogy, 3 copies of the LoTR extended editions etc. just to stay up to date on the best quality release (and those weren't cheap.) Personally I have a very small collection of 4K Blu-rays because of being burned in the past by having a new format release the old one and most of the time the ease of streaming means I'll watch it there (although I know data caps are a big thing in the US that I don't have to deal with) I still prefer physical media for when I watch on a projector though, as streaming compression is much more noticeable (in particular HD/1080p) on a 150-200 inch screen. 

Also going back to Avatar the problem with watching Avatar on DVD or Blu-Ray is it doesn't have the upgrades of 4K HDR that the recent cinema release so if people that are wanting to see it for those improvements will have to wait for either Disney+, a digital upgrade on iTunes (or other digital storefronts) or 4K Blu-ray release, so it is not like physical or digital purchases solve that problem. 

• Like 1

Honestly, if they don't put it back before the sequel comes out, I might consider skipping this in theaters out of spite. I did like the original, but I haven't really thought about it too much since it released. I had considered seeing the re-release when it was out but due to general disinterest amongst my friend group and other factors, I decided to wait. Anyway, if Disney wants to play these games in order to sell more blu-rays well the joke's on them.

• Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Honestly, if they don't put it back before the sequel comes out, I might consider skipping this in theaters out of spite. I did like the original, but I haven't really thought about it too much since it released. I had considered seeing the re-release when it was out but due to general disinterest amongst my friend group and other factors, I decided to wait. Anyway, if Disney wants to play these games in order to sell more blu-rays well the joke's on them.

You can rent it on iTunes for $4. That's the same cost as a Big Mac. Only this time, Avatar won't clog your arteries. It's not a big deal lol

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

it would be strange if they didn't put it back on disney plus, surely it would only be a positive in terms of box office for the sequel.

Unless they consider people watching on their home-media a big negative I suppose

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Carey said:

You can rent it on iTunes for $4. That's the same cost as a Big Mac. Only this time, Avatar won't clog your arteries. It's not a big deal lol

Yeah, that's a fair point. It's really just kind of annoyance but I'll probably end up doing that if they don't put it back before the release. 

I think with Avatar 2 convincing people to go see it won't be too difficult, people will remember that they loved it back in 2009. In conversations every will be saying "I bet it's going to look amazing!", "it's james cameron!", "it looks so pretty" etc.

The hard part is spreading awareness and generating the initial hype for the opening weekend.

The hype just after the opening weekend will be astronomical, a visual feast and massive spectacle, a lucid dream on pandora, a story with big heart masterfully told...

I actually do believe that this movie might make a lot of money on its OW. $200M seems about right.

Younger audiences are pretty aware of this movie too. One just has to take a look at TikTok, there are many Avatar 2-related videos with 500K - 2M likes.