Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

It’s been a very, very long time since I’ve logged on here, there’s probably only a few people still on the boards that remember the BOM forum days before this website was created by Shawn.

Anyways hello all from a former active user! Watching Avatar 2’s coming box office run has brought me back.

Avatar was a crazy behemoth at the box office that only 1 or 2 people predicted correctly. It broke every box office rule we knew for months. Still remember locally months later it was selling out shows. I watched it 10 times in theaters. Most people who watched it went multiple times. I can’t wait to relive this experience again in theaters and in real life and to follow a new chapter in the Avatar universe at the box office.

Welcome back. I'm more of a lurker than a poster but Avatar was the movie that initially got me to sign up to Mojo when I was a fresh 13 year old (I think my cringeworthy username was Avatarfan too 💀), but it's nice to see old posters coming back after a miserable period of covid and feeling the uncertainty of cinemas and moviegoing as we know it. I'm hoping Avatar 2 will be a big reminder of why it's still relevant. 

28 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Cost of production is $500M or so. Including interest, overhead and marketing, total cost are around $1B. 

That still doesn't mean it will need $2B. $1.2B would be enough for breaking even with non-theatrical revenue considered.

Cameron gotta deserve couple of hundreds of millions for this. So participants gotta be very high.

Production budget 350-400M as per THR

P&A 160-180M approx

Residuals & off the tops- 40M(assumption)

Participations- 100-200M(assumption)

Interest- 60M approx

Video costs- 40M approx

Total cost 750M-920M approx

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(if one will pardon "crossing the [franchise] streams" here)

Ah Porthos, good to see you still around! Hope you’ve been well.

2 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Welcome back. I'm more of a lurker than a poster but Avatar was the movie that initially got me to sign up to Mojo when I was a fresh 13 year old (I think my cringeworthy username was Avatarfan too 💀), but it's nice to see old posters coming back after a miserable period of covid and feeling the uncertainty of cinemas and moviegoing as we know it. I'm hoping Avatar 2 will be a big reminder of why it's still relevant. 

Thanks! I remember your un as well from way back. Glad to see some familiar faces so to speak. I’m obviously super not attuned to box office and movies these days because for some reason I thought Avatar 2 was releasing December 2023. Caught a commercial while watching the Raptors game luckily to inform me of my mistake. Yes, ads do work haha. COVID basically brought the world to a halt, seeing big numbers for movies this year shows audiences are still hungry for that immersive and unique theater experience despite the explosion in all the streaming options available.

Avatar 2 is so difficult to predict. Only BJ and Kal-El got the first one right and no one else expected those long sexy legs after it’s “ok” opening. I could see it opening anywhere from 50-200m honestly. And the multiplier afterwords is anyone’s guess. It’ll depend on the quality of the movie obviously, but I know now not to doubt Cameron’s work bringing positive WOM. He’s had 1 miss in his directing career and that wasn’t really his anyways.

Anyways I’m blabbering, thanks for the welcome back! Cheers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

when is that guy with a one piece avatar coming back?

what was their name again?

there's another interview where Sam is asked to describe Avatar 2 after seeing it, and he said "you don't watch it, you experience it". As Jim has said many time's he's going to capture exactly what people loved about the first movie, but this time have a richer story which is more character driven.

Please expect massive legs, and never ever say we couldn't have known audiences will have responded to Avatar 2 like they did with the first.

Edited by IronJimbo

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

what was their name again?

there's another interview where Sam is asked to describe Avatar 2 after seeing it, and he said "you don't watch it, you experience it". As Jim has said many time's he's going to capture exactly what people loved about the first movie, but this time have a richer story which is more character driven.

Please expect massive legs

In the Tonight Show interview he says that it blows away the first one. From the short segments of dialog that we've seen so far  I would say that WoW is going to be a major step up in that dept. 

On a sidenote I think Sam should pursue some comedic roles, he's got a good sense of humour. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GOGODanca said:

So was Jim referring to 3rd or 4th highest grosser domestically (784-810m) instead of worldwide? Cause yet another article just gave a 350m+ budget and there is no way that requires 2b to Break even

no he was referring to the 3rd or 4th highest grossing film worldwide at the time he made the deal with fox. check out the full quote, it's clear he's talking about the past

18 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Water is getting really, really expensive.

IMAX 3D evening screening of AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER will set an adult back $26.49 at AMC in Los Angeles. 

That said, you get to see a movie that cost upwards of $400M. It's like you're stealing from them.

Price check--whatcha got?

i paid $40 for my ticket

Hollywood Reporter - James Cameron article/interview

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/james-cameron-interview-avatar-the-way-of-water-franchise-future-1235271483/

Regarding the box office Cameron says to watch the third weekend numbers. 

The Way of Water is one of a number of films this holiday season with long running times, including Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Paramount’s Babylon. Cameron says that was negotiated pre-Disney. “I said [to Disney], ‘You bought this from a bunch of guys at Fox who agreed to a three-hour movie,’ because that’s what we said we were going to do. We’re going to play the epic game.” Asked how audiences should time a bathroom break, Cameron says, “Any time they want. They can see the scene they missed when they come see it again.” He’s not kidding. A huge part of Cameron’s box office success on his previous films has been attributable to repeat viewing. He typically doesn’t have a massive opening weekend, à la Marvel movies, but instead holds or builds his audience over time. “We’ll know by the third weekend,” he says. “You’re not going to know by the first weekend. Titanic didn’t work that way. Avatar didn’t work that way.” Avatar, which opened to $79 million, dropped just 8 percent a week for 10 weeks.

• Like 1