Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

33 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Don’t watch me happy with what A2 did at box office,but as a matter of fact I am a little disappointed with this one after watching is 3rd time,The plot is slow,the story is full of logic problem 

Visual is good,is mind-blowing,it’s deserve every highly admire,but not do the similar thing  as A1 did(The revolution of 3D)

I'm wondering if your chosen name here "Bruce" from Asia is a Bruce Lee reference at all?  And if so, it would seemingly contradict Lee's own mantra: "Don't think...FEEL" when talking about a cinema experience.  Every movie can be dissected later on its "logic" -- I will always argue that what matters is the experience in the moment, how the movie "works" in its visual storytelling, and what thoughts it conjures in you.  This is where Cameron is a brilliant tactician. 

I usually don't buy into complaints about "logic" or "pacing problems" as people often say -- which can be due to all kinds of factors that your brain is in during the moment you see the movie, like the poster above you who claimed they dozed off because they were already "tired as hell."  Or being on a caffeine high and thinking the movie is "too slow."  So that's debatable to me whether it's the movie's fault. 

And if you saw it three times, I would say that it convinced you enough to believe in its world on screen... 😁

I haven't gotten out to it once, yet...which is why it's going to continue to make money, people like me still haven't caught up with it! 

Edited by Macleod

35 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'm wondering if your chosen name here "Bruce" from Asia is a Bruce Lee reference at all?  And if so, it would seemingly contradict Lee's own mantra: "Don't think...FEEL" when talking about a cinema experience.  Every movie can be dissected later on its "logic" -- I will always argue that what matters is the experience in the moment, how the movie "works" in its visual storytelling, and what thoughts it conjures in you.  This is where Cameron is a brilliant tactician. 

I usually don't buy into complaints about "logic" or "pacing problems" as people often say -- which can be due to all kinds of factors that your brain is in during the moment you see the movie, like the poster above you who claimed they dozed off because they were already "tired as hell."  Or being on a caffeine high and thinking the movie is "too slow."  So that's debatable to me whether it's the movie's fault. 

And if you saw it three times, I would say that it convinced you enough to believe in its world on screen... 😁

I haven't gotten out to it once, yet...which is why it's going to continue to make money, people like me still haven't caught up with it! 

my name has nothing to do with bruce lee,it’s just ..I search on internet “most common English name”and there are”Bruce ,Steven,Jack,Henry,Anna…blabla”I just choose one of them

And as you say the visual effect is good,it makes me feel I was enter the world of Pandora,is really beautiful,but the story is…I can’t believe this is JC’s work

Edited by Bruce
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I agree with the first part, but not with $45-50m 4th weekend.  If it were to stay flat this weekend, 64m > 45m is a 29% drop post-holiday.  Which is technically doable, but require staying at least FLAT this weekend.  

However, if it drops 15% or so this weekend to $54.4m then it would take a 17% drop to get to $45m, which seems highly unlikely after a holiday.  

I genuinely believe A2 can drop less than 10% this weekend and less than 20% on the next weekend. Top Gun: Maverick has incredibly small drops even a week after the long/holiday weekends, so Avatar can.

48 minutes ago, Bruce said:

My personal view of other JC movie:

Titanic(9/10)

T2(9.5/10)[maybe a bit high but is my childhood,I have the nostalgia)

Aliens(7/10)

True Line(8/10)

T2, The Terminator, Titanic, Aliens - all 10/10 (Terminators are my fav of all time)

True LiesThe Way of Water - 8/10

Pirania II - I don't remember this sh**

Edited by Juby

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

my name has nothing to do with bruce lee,it’s just ..I search on internet “most common English name”and there are”Bruce ,Steven,Jack,Henry,Anna…blabla”I just choose one of them

That’s ironic because I’m not even sure if Bruce would be in the top 100 English names anymore. Now I wonder what your real name is 🤔

6 minutes ago, XXR Eywa Has Heard You! said:

Shocked Futurama GIF

I think there are several on this site like that :) 

Yeah I don’t think gender is important on internet,,,,but some people will think ‘Bruce’ is not a girl’s name,which shows I just choose the random name,you probably the first person who knew my real gender haha

It was some confused that I don’t know how to make the internet name on English-speaking world,like..…”sjhdhdjdndn”,you think that’s good?but that not convient to call,or I maybe just choose two different word and combine them?like…”Fire Ice-cream”?”

Edited by Bruce
  • Thanks 1

Day / Date Rogue One Avatar Way of Water
0 / Dec 15

Thu

$29,000,000

total $29,000,000

$17,000,000

total $17,000,000

1 / Dec 16

Fri

$71,094,394

(theaters 4,157)

(YD - / LW -)

total $71,094,394

$53,200,270

(theaters 4,202)

(YD - / LW -)

total $53,200,270

2 / Dec 17

Sat

$46,308,115

(theaters 4,157)

(YD -35% / LW -)

total $117,402,509

$44,327,887

(theaters 4,202)

(YD -17% / LW -)

total $97,528,157

3 / Dec 18

Sun

$37,679,172

(theaters 4,157)

(YD -19% / LW -)

total $155,081,681

$36,572,069

(theaters 4,202)

(YD -17% / LW -)

total $134,100,226

4 / Dec 19

Mon

$17,596,150

(theaters 4,157)

(YD -53% / LW -)

total $172,677,831

$16,257,078

(theaters 4,202)

(YD -56% / LW -)

total $150,357,304

5 / Dec 20

Tue

$17,582,978

(theaters 4,157)

(YD - / LW -)

total $190,260,809

$18,288,904

(theaters 4,202)

(YD +12% / LW -)

total $168,646,208

6 / Dec 21

Wed

$14,965,790

(theaters 4,157)

(YD -15% / LW -)

total $205,226,599

$14,403,438

(theaters 4,202)

(YD -21% / LW -)

total $183,049,646

7 / Dec 22

Thu

$16,773,075

(theaters 4,157)

(YD +12% / LW -)

total $221,999,674

$14,632,040

(theaters 4,202)

(YD +2% / LW -)

total $197,681,686

8 / Dec 23

Fri

$22,860,256

(theaters 4,157)

(YD +36% / LW -68%)

total $244,859,930

$19,289,141

(theaters 4,202)

(YD +32% / LW -64%)

total $216,970,827

9 / Dec 24

Sat

$15,308,508

(theaters 4,157)

(YD -33% / LW -67%)

total $260,168,438

$14,869,288

(theaters 4,202)

(YD -23% / LW -66%)

total $231,840,115

10 / Dec 25

Sun

$25,865,004

(theaters 4,157)

(YD +69% / LW -31%)

total $286,033,442

$29,179,791

(theaters 4,202)

(YD +96% / LW -20%)

total $261,019,906

11 / Dec 26

Mon

$32,085,637

(theaters 4,157)

(YD +24% / LW +82%)

total $318,119,079

$32,270,430

(theaters 4,202)

(YD +11% / LW +99%)

total $293,290,336

12 / Dec 27

Tue

$22,515,612

(theaters 4,157)

(YD -30% / LW +28%)

total $340,634,691

$24,128,503

(theaters 4,202)

(YD -25% / LW +32%)

total $317,418,839

13 / Dec 28

Wed

$18,021,482

(theaters 4,157)

(YD -20% / LW +20%)

total $358,656,173

$20,582,014

(theaters 4,202)

(YD -15% / LW +43%)

total $338,000,853

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

good post

Im one of bot's avatar looneys and will only see it for the first time next week, with the full intention of watching it at least once more after that

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

ok, thats pretty epic

James Cameron Justifies ‘Avatar 2’s Lengthy ‘Hangout’ Sequences:

“People forget to put beauty into a film. There’s a lot of snark, there’s a lot of sarcasm, there’s a lot of cutesy jokes in movies. There’s a lot of people playing things off as if they’re super cool and therefore diluting the sense of stakes, the sense of jeopardy. I go straight at just being earnest. If there’s jeopardy, it’s real. People could die. And if you like what you see, let’s just hang out for a bit. Let’s not rush through this because of artificial concepts like ‘plot’ [laughs]. It sounds dumb but it works.”

It looks as though Cameron’s arbitration is a winning formula twice over now. After “Avatar” became the highest-grossing film of all time, “The Way of Water” has now surpassed $1 billion at the worldwide box office in just 12 days. 

https://www.thewrap.com/james-cameron-avatar-2-hangout-scenes-way-of-water/amp/

• Like 3

Watched Avatar TWoW two times in IMAX 3D HFR. Enjoyed it more on second viewing when I didn't need to focus so much on reading subtitles as I already know the plot. HFR was little bit distracting for me in first viewing (could be I'm sensitive to it) but on second one I wasn't bothered by it and just got fully immersed by visual spectacle. Will for sure go watch it again after new year.

Edited by adaros

Before its release, I had predicted $600M DOM, $400M China, $1B OS-China, for a total of $2B WW.

Even though I've overestimated China and underestimated OS-China, I think that ATWOW's WW total will be almost or around that mark.

Percentage-wise, I'd say the movie is:

- 95% likely to surpass The Lion King

- 90% likely to surpass Jurassic World

- 50% likely to surpass Spider-Man: No Way Home

- 30% likely to surpass Avengers: Infinity War

- 25% likely to surpass Star Wars: The Force Awakens

- <5% likely to surpass Titanic

• Disbelief 1

Just now, Andreas said:

Percentage-wise, I'd say the movie is:

- 95% likely to surpass The Lion King

- 90% likely to surpass Jurassic World

- 50% likely to surpass Spider-Man: No Way Home

- 30% likely to surpass Avengers: Infinity War

- 25% likely to surpass Star Wars: The Force Awakens

- <5% likely to surpass Titanic

TLK and JW are 100%. Even if DOM only gets to 450 and China kicked it out of theaters right now, OS would get it over those two. 

Your other numbers are good :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XXR Eywa Has Heard You! said:

TLK and JW are 100%. Even if DOM only gets to 450 and China kicked it out of theaters right now, OS would get it over those two. 

Your other numbers are good :) 

beating NWH is also 80%,it's will beating it at same time when 3rd weekend. over

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

James Cameron Justifies ‘Avatar 2’s Lengthy ‘Hangout’ Sequences:

“People forget to put beauty into a film. There’s a lot of snark, there’s a lot of sarcasm, there’s a lot of cutesy jokes in movies. There’s a lot of people playing things off as if they’re super cool and therefore diluting the sense of stakes, the sense of jeopardy. I go straight at just being earnest. If there’s jeopardy, it’s real. People could die. And if you like what you see, let’s just hang out for a bit. Let’s not rush through this because of artificial concepts like ‘plot’ [laughs]. It sounds dumb but it works.”

It looks as though Cameron’s arbitration is a winning formula twice over now. After “Avatar” became the highest-grossing film of all time, “The Way of Water” has now surpassed $1 billion at the worldwide box office in just 12 days. 

https://www.thewrap.com/james-cameron-avatar-2-hangout-scenes-way-of-water/amp/

Well said by Cameron, kind of what i said on another post about people complaining about runtime.