Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

22 hours ago, Morieris said:

It's so funny going to other forums to hear "this made 1B? but it has no cultural impact! the story is simple"

Why do things have to have narrative value to just be nice to look at? What's wrong with a simple story?

The one I hear a lot on Twitter is "how is this movie making so much money, no one i know is even talking about it'  🙂 I think part of that is true. It doesn't seem to be generating buzz like a Twilight or Avengers movie......people and families are just going to see it. December release certainly helps. 

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Is $2 Billion still in play?  $2.1 would give Cameron directed movies 3 of the TOP 4!!! ponder that for a minute. 

1 Avatar $2,922,917,914 2009
2 Avengers: Endgame $2,797,501,328 2019
3 Titanic $2,201,647,264 1997
4 Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens $2,069,521,700 2015
5 Avengers: Infinity War $2,048,359,754 2018
6 Spider-Man: No Way Home $1,916,306,995 2021
7 Jurassic World $1,671,537,444 2015
8 The Lion King $1,663,075,401 2019
9 The Avengers $1,518,815,515 2012
10 Furious 7 $1,515,341,399 2015
11 Top Gun: Maverick $1,488,732,821 2022

2.2b -2.8b  ww my brother  depending on a domestic of 750-850m up and Os of 1.8-2b plus

Good Gracious! This outstanding beyond words!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Avatar 2's 3rd weekend could come in around 50% of its OW

RO's 3rd weekend was 31%

That's probably my last RO comp since these are following very different trajectories....except the final DOM numbers might be close.

Close?

A2 will hit roughly $450M by Monday and R1’s final is $530.

I’d be shocked if A2 won’t hit $650M at this point with more than a month with 0 competition.

8 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Close?

A2 will hit roughly $450M by Monday and R1’s final is $530.

I’d be shocked if A2 won’t hit $650M at this point with more than a month with 0 competition.

Maverick is in trouble brother Roarke. We are coming!. Os could hit 1.8-2b with China. Wow

• Astonished 1

James Cameron man..... 

I said this at some forum in 2009....Cameron just has a feel for how to craft a story that resonates with human beings. Lucas had it as well. He's tapped into that part of our brain. Incredible.

The only exception was The Abyss and that was still a decent movie. I need to see it again actually...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lilmac said:

China is holding well. $2B here we come. James Cameron....you've done it again. My goodness. 

3/6 films that have done better than $2B = one director. 

So crazy brother lil Mac.

And this film will likely beat titanic ww and could creep to end game despite all the obstacles. The domestic is climbing to 700m plus and China may get to 250-300m. Exciting Run lil Mac.  Never doubted Cameron on this one....

Yeeeehawww🦝🏋‍♀️.

Under the right conditions A3 could take down avatar.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post

9 minutes ago, lilmac said:

TFA did $34.394M in its 3rd Friday. Not far off from TWOW. Just sayin...

You going to make us get jedi sabers and loonies name calling with that beautiful notion my friend.

Still....If We hit 800m dom. and people are still visiting A2 . you just never know. Hah hah.

That would be a comeback from JC beyond words to take the long standing TFA domestic crown...Keeping fingers crossed. 👍😉😱

titanic leonardo dicaprio GIF

• Like 2

TFA made ~50% of its total cross domestically.

Avatar 2 only needs roughly 500 (and it could be so much more) to be under the Top 4 of all time worldwide. If it behaves like the first one - 75% of its revenue came from "oversees" (iirc).

19 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

phenomenal experience watching it on biggest Imax screen on 3D. There are few directors who can create experiences that are only for biggest screen. We need more such movies for multiplex to survive. At least we dont have a long wait for A3. 

I would not say only because the movies are good and have good pacing and story contrary to what some people say. the first Avatar i enjoyed it both on 70mm IMAX 3D and on a phone screen. 

This one will be enjoyable at home differently to the IMAX experience because Avatar 2 has good development and pacing too. But as of now is time to go to the theaters more times. 

Edited by StreamBO

22 hours ago, lilmac said:

James Cameron man..... 

I said this at some forum in 2009....Cameron just has a feel for how to craft a story that resonates with human beings. Lucas had it as well. He's tapped into that part of our brain. Incredible.

The only exception was The Abyss and that was still a decent movie. I need to see it again actually...

And some people dare to say Cameron movies have bad stories, blah blah. 

The latest WoW update. Totals up to Jan 1 = $1.37846 Billion. Currently 2nd for 2022 releases and 16th All-Time (unadjusted for ticket price inflation). 

Avatar: The Way of Water grossed an estimated $63.44M over the 3-day weekend (from 4,202 locations). Estimated 4-day weekend gross is $82.40M. Estimated total domestic gross through Monday stands at $440.52M.

Avatar: The Way of Water has passed the $1.3 billion global mark. The film grossed an estimated $186.7M internationally this weekend (not including Monday). Estimated international total stands at $956.9M, est. global total through Sunday stands at $1.379B.

Est. international totals for Avatar: The Way of Water through Sunday include: 
China - $152.8M 
France - $95.1M 
S. Korea - $74.9M 
Germany - $67.2M 
U.K. - $54.2M 
India - $49.3M 
Mexico - $37.3M 
Australia - $34.3M 
Italy - $30.5M 
Spain - $28.3M 
Brazil - $23.6M