Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

lol, still trying to sneak in an argument about CitW any way you can. Face it, you gambled that it would tank and it didn't.

True, but if we assumed that online fanboy taste and enthusiasm reflect mainstream audiences´ taste and enthusiasm (like they assume is the case with Avatar), CITW, which fanboys orgasmed over and called everything from masterpiece to the best horror comedy in the last 20 years, would have grossed way, way, way more than 40-something million dollars it did in the USA, which is anything but a blockbuster. It came and went, fanboys loved it and saw it more than once, and everyone else ignored it, just like what happened with Serenity in 2005.

outsanding perormance isn't worldwide phenomena. Titanic has been (and Avatar joined recently) on the top of the BO charts of most regions in the world for YEARS (and years to come), that's what I meant by "world wide pheonomenon." Terminator 2 hasn't even been there. T2 is a successful blockbuster, that's it.

This. If Cameron wants it, he can make another Avatar. Box office wise increasing DOM will be a challenge, but WW is definitely there. Can't wait for BA so he does it again and maybe then the haters will take a back seat.

I`m sorry but how the hell am I a hater just for saying that topping $2.7 billion is a Cameronesque challenge? Look, I`d love you to be right and holy shit every single Avatar outgrosses another but lets get real a bit. Original movies broke out like they did because many people checked them out not knowing what to expect but being curious due to hype. By the time Avatar sequels come out, fandom has been formed and that also means limited appeal (to the size of the fandom). Not everyone who saw Avatar liked it and wants to see the sequels. Look at TH performance for proof. That one was supposed to shatter December not just because of 3D and Imax premium and inflation but because, supposedly, everyone in the world loved ME and couldn`t wait to go back. Well, apparently, that didn`t get a solid proof so the spin is now that they love ME so much they are waiting to go back about 10 days from opening weekend Something doesn`t add up.So lets not make the same mistake when (over)predicting Avatars.

I`m sorry but how the hell am I a hater ust for saying that topping $2.7 billion is a Cameronesque challenge?

lol, maybe I'm a "hater" too, despite the fact that I've watched Aliens 2 and T2 countless times, owning every version of vhs, dvd and blu-ray release. Avatar imax 3d twice, blu-ray 3d gaining mileage...

Terminator 2 is a successful blockbuster, but not a phenomenal event at the level of Titanic and Avatar.

It was the biggest movie event of 1991, number one in the US and WW and in a lot of countries.Next to Titanic, Avatar is kinda small.Titanic is probably the biggest movie of all time attendance wise and ww on its initial box office run ( without reissues)If Avatar was a freak at the bo, Titanic was a demented one.The movie stayed for 6 months in the top 3 WW or something like that.
  • Like 1

Next to Titanic, Avatar is kinda small.Titanic is probably the biggest movie of all time attendance wise and ww on its initial box office run ( without reissues)If Avatar was a freak at the bo, Titanic was a demented one.

agree, but the difference between these two and other yearly event movies is quite evident, at least for me,

I`m sorry but how the hell am I a hater just for saying that topping $2.7 billion is a Cameronesque challenge? Look, I`d love you to be right and holy shit every single Avatar outgrosses another but lets get real a bit. Original movies broke out like they did because many people checked them out not knowing what to expect but being curious due to hype. By the time Avatar sequels come out, fandom has been formed and that also means limited appeal (to the size of the fandom). Not everyone who saw Avatar liked it and wants to see the sequels. Look at TH performance for proof. That one was supposed to shatter December not just because of 3D and Imax premium and inflation but because, supposedly, everyone in the world loved ME and couldn`t wait to go back. Different scenarios. Well, apparently, that didn`t get a solid proof so the spin is now that they love ME so much they are waiting to go back about 10 days from opening weekend Something doesn`t add up.So lets not make the same mistake when (over)predicting Avatars.

Did I call you a hater? I mean everyone he doubted Cameron with Avatar and will doubt with A2 and his future movies.

Oh my, the last 3 pages of this thread is gold.

"B-b-but... it made a bajillion cash broski"

Pack your bags bros, that invalidates all the criticism of Avatar.

:popcorn:

Actually, that´s a gross oversimplification of many of the arguments that have been presented. If you think Avatar is the worst film ever made, fine, just don't act as if the entire world felt the same, because you and I both know that mainstream audiences don't give a shit about all the pretentious 'depth' BS that fanboys and self-annointed film intellectuals take to heart. Edited by cochofles
  • Like 1

B-b-butthurt fanboys... :P

(I still remember the fanboys backlash after the first trailer was released. "rubbish PS1 cinematic trash","Floooop incoming". The day after, I went to the Avatar Day. I attended the presentation three times in a row. My jaw dropped three times. Surprinsingly, one of my teacher was there too. He was stunned, he also attended it the next time. Since that moment, I knew this was bound to overkill and I forgot all that spouting non sense I read the night before. Thought to myself: "Cameron is back in business, bitches!". There was no way in hell what my eyes gazed was going to flop.)

Edited by dashrendar44

B-b-butthurt fanboys... :P

(I still remember the fanboys backlash after the first trailer was released. "rubbish PS1 cinematic trash","Floooop incoming". The day after, I went to the Avatar Day. I attended the presentation three times in a row. My jaw dropped three times. Surprinsingly, one of my teacher was there too. He was stunned, he also attended it the next time. Since that moment, I knew this was bound to overkill and I forgot all that spouting non sense I read the night before. Thought to myself: "Cameron is back in business, bitches!". There was no way in hell what my eyes gazed was going to flop.)

Same here. First trailer - meh, i dunno, effects not seamless, started having doubts. Then next day i went to Avatar day - looked stunning, applause at the end from the crowd, i was again a believer. Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

I love listening to these little piss-ant nay-sayers trying to talk like they know storytelling and boxoffice. They make me laugh. If Cameron was here, he'd laugh too.Nay-sayers: Are you trying to frighten us Mr. vc2002?I dont have to, because when Avatar 2 comes, all fucking hell is gonna break loose, and you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could be bitching so loudly and not being made a fool of.

Edited by vc2002

Lord knows I don't doubt Cameron, but A2 is in rarified air -- how often do you get a sequel to an unchallenged worldwide phenomenon? Original Star Wars? I'm trying to think of another. Simply by their nature, a sequel to such an insane event has an uphill battle, because it's no longer new, and it's almost inevitable it won't reach the same number of audience. It'll open huge, no doubt, but I don't think you can assume Avatar-esque legs at all. For the moment, I assume it'll act like AVENGERS -- solid legs for such a big opening, but not extraordinary.

Lord knows I don't doubt Cameron, but A2 is in rarified air -- how often do you get a sequel to an unchallenged worldwide phenomenon? Original Star Wars? I'm trying to think of another. Simply by their nature, a sequel to such an insane event has an uphill battle, because it's no longer new, and it's almost inevitable it won't reach the same number of audience. It'll open huge, no doubt, but I don't think you can assume Avatar-esque legs at all.For the moment, I assume it'll act like AVENGERS -- solid legs for such a big opening, but not extraordinary.

So far, Empire Strikes Back is the best comparison there is.It wont be like TA. TH1 suggests that A2 will not have a massive OW like those summer flicks or fanboy films did. It probably will open to sth like 120m, and then legs will decide how further it will go. Edited by vc2002