Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

You are probably right. FOX will definitely want Avatar in the title.

The thing is, on Avatar sequel Cameron wont give a crap what Fox, or anyone else thinks, and he does what he wants, and Fox can't do anything about it. Edited by vc2002

And "Never having an experience"? Why would a major studio use a fragment of a sentence that doesn't even make sense? I'm sure that with the stratospheric budgets that Cameron gets, his marketing people will be able to afford a posterdesigner who took some English courses in college.

The only thing they will decide is if the movie will be called Avatar II or Avatar 2. They might add a subtitle but I highly doubt they would get rid of the Avatar part altogether.

Well, who knows really...I had never even thought of this movie not being called Avatar: Something Something at the very least, but it's possible. Certainly there's precedence for losing the main title and still having all the awareness you would have without it (Batman Begins -> The Dark Knight) and this is a movie that I have no doubt could get away with it. Plus there's the factor that really, the title itself could really have no relevance to the plot of the film anymore (since well, that body is no longer an Avatar). But who knows where the plot will go and whether it'll make sense.And when did making sense matter when choosing a title anyway.

• Founder / Operator

I would say, though, that the only reason The Dark Knight got away with the name change is because that's been one of Batman's most famous and very well-established nicknames (alongside The Caped Crusader) since long before the movie itself.A different title for Avatar 2 could be interesting, but I seriously doubt it would be a smart move. Definitely not a good business one, which makes me think Cameron will opt for a subtitle and/or number or Roman Numeral.I like subtitles, myself.

Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

All you'd have to do is show a Na'Vi on screen and the words "From director James Cameron" and everyone would know it's related to Avatar.

Maybe, but it would still be a challenge for the marketing department (something most studios won't take that kind of risk on in this day and age).Its essentially the same issue as The Dark Knight Rises...maybe Nolan came up with that title, maybe not. It makes a fair bit of sense that it was a studio decision to aid in the process of easier marketing. I have no doubt that Fox will have similar feelings about Avatar 2.

Sucks that this movie's still FOUR FREAKING YEARS AWAY :angry:But if this won't be coming out till Holiday 2015 I'm wondering what will fill the void as the "event" film of 2014. Hobbit will be done, Nolan's Batman will be done. Will Mockingjay (Part 1 or whatever) fill that void?

Edited by tribefan695