Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

There were things to like about the first but there were too many weak points for a film that he took so much time to make. I just wish he would start making better films again...whatever they may be as I'm a big fan of some of his older stuff and I expect better from him.

Edited by Magic

If Cameron is going to take forever to make this then at least make it worth such a long wait because if it's not going to be a fair bit better than the first he should either hurry up a bit or not bother.I'm not waiting another fucking decade for more weak writing, 2D characters and more cringeworthy dialogue.

2.8 billion, and a bunch of awards and nominations, well, I dont think he would give a damn about a few complaint on the internet, or a few complaint on the internet would mean anything comparing to what Avatar had achieved. :rolleyes:

2.8 billion, and a bunch of awards and nominations, well, I dont think he would give a damn about a few complaint on the internet, or a few complaint on the internet would mean anything comparing to what Avatar had achieved. :rolleyes:

A hell of a lot of critics raise the same points that I just did. Why not go and read some of them? Even plenty of the positive reviews admit these points. How much money it made is completely irrelevant to the quality of the film. ROTF made 400M and it was practically vomit on screen. The main reasons it was nominated for best picture was because of it's commercial success and the fact that the field was opened to ten because of poor ratings. It wasn't a worthy best picture nominee at all. Edited by Magic

The main reasons it was nominated for best picture was because of it's commercial success and the fact that the field was opened to ten because of poor ratings. It wasn't a worthy best picture nominee at all.

Wrong. Unlike movies such as District 9 or Inception it would have gotten a best picture nod even in the old system, unlike those movies Avatar also got nominated for best director and won a bunch of Golden Globes. Yes, a number of movies make a lot of money, like the aforementioned ROTF, and guess what, they don't get any love from the Academy. Whether you deem Avatar worthy is beside the point.

A hell of a lot of critics raise the same points that I just did. Why not go and read some of them? Even plenty of the positive reviews admit these points. How much money it made is completely irrelevant to the quality of the film. ROTF made 400M and it was practically vomit on screen. The main reasons it was nominated for best picture was because of it's commercial success and the fact that the field was opened to ten because of poor ratings. It wasn't a worthy best picture nominee at all.

There weren't a lot of critics at all saying Avatar had "weak writing, 2D characters and more cringeworthy dialogue". And for the same reason, Cameron wont give a damn about the complaint from the critics. Why would he? Everyone doubted him back in 1997, and he shut them up with 11 Oscars and 1.8bn. Everyone doubted him again 12 years later, and he shut them up again with a even bigger bang. And you tell me that you have a few complaint about the 1st film, and you want him this want him that??? Jeez... Cameron is the last person in hollywood that would possibly give a damn about what others think of his film-making, and the last film-maker in hollywood that audience like you should rave about how he should do this and how he shouldn't do that.ROTF, like many films that were already half-way finished after a huge opening, had the luxury of a wide fanbase and massive awareness that a sequel and an adaptation has. Avatar is a completely different story, and I'm sure people on this forum will have plenty to say when it comes to its phenomenal boxoffice run as an original film.It wasn't a worthy best picture nominee at all? You know what, even if it actually got the BP award, you would still say "it wasnt a worthy BP winner at all". Oh yeah, I remember that. That happened 12 years ago. Titanic. :rolleyes: Edited by vc2002

I agree. He will continue doing the fantastic films he makes, he will continue being uber-successful (both critically, at the Oscars, and financially) at them, and the internet dissenters will continue believing that "Cameron makes bad films" just because they say so.As for the delay....DAMN! I want to go back to Pandora...now! Why do you do this to us, Cameron??? Edited by Cochofles

I agree. He will continue doing the fantastic films he makes, he will continue being uber-successful (both critically, at the Oscars, and financially) at them, and the internet dissenters will continue believing that "Cameron makes bad films" just because they say so.

As for the delay....DAMN! I want to go back to Pandora...now! Why do you do this to us, Cameron???

No. Cameron makes weaker films than he used to since he now seems to make character development and plot secondary to the technical wizardry. He's completely forgotten what should drive a film above anything else. There's nothing wrong with groundbreaking CGI and so on as long as you don't short change people in the areas that should matter most. That's not the same thing. Edited by Magic

Wrong. Unlike movies such as District 9 or Inception it would have gotten a best picture nod even in the old system, unlike those movies Avatar also got nominated for best director and won a bunch of Golden Globes. Yes, a number of movies make a lot of money, like the aforementioned ROTF, and guess what, they don't get any love from the Academy. Whether you deem Avatar worthy is beside the point.

Of course ROTF wouldn't get nominated. It was one of the worst movies ever made...

Cameron is the best writer of romance and warrior chick characters out there. Haters can suck it.

He's always been great for writing strong female characters who are more than merely window dressing which unfortunately is rather rare so I commend him for that but the "romance" in Avatar was half hearted at best. I have nothing against romance, I just don't think it was that good in Avatar.