Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 minutes ago, danziger said:

As much as I love Villaneuve I am burned out on these brutalist visuals and depressing futures. With our own world increasingly going to hell, people want and need a bright future to look forward to. Pandora may be fictional but Cameron makes it feel real. 

No doubt about that my brother.  You Got  folks that will spend their last dollar just to escape from  problems into this dream world for 3hrs. Something special definitely  happens at an Avatar viewing. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, danziger said:

As much as I love Villaneuve I am burned out on these brutalist visuals and depressing futures. With our own world increasingly going to hell, people want and need a bright future to look forward to. Pandora may be fictional but Cameron makes it feel real. 

In the case of Avatar, the state of the Earth is apparently pretty bleak. I assume that’ll be addressed by movie 5, though. 

7 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Deadline's latest weekend box office update + Avatar 2 domestic OW blurb

"Also, with 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water set to conquer all business next weekend with a potential $200M domestic start, nobody wants to waste the marketing dollars to play in front of that, especially when moviegoing doesn’t pick up until after Christmas, when there’s zero holiday distractions and kids go on break."

Moment of Silence Please..

200m plus OW imminent!💪🥊

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

200mil would be a nice OW.

It would only need 4x legs to get to 800mil too, and 4x legs are locked imo.

Man after hearing  these reviews a 5x multiplier might be locked. Wow

200-215m ow with Cameron repeat business???  That's a predicament we can live with brother Stuart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Man after hearing  these reviews a 5x multiplier might be locked. Wow

200-215m ow with Cameron repeat business???  That's a predicament we can live with brother Stuart.

Well i do think it will get 5x legs, but one thing that is 100% certain is that 4x legs are locked.

So we can times the OW by 4 and know thats what its getting at least!.

Praise my brothers and sisters!.

16 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Maybe but the president just opened up theaters in china  for A2. So I wouldn't be sure Cameron doesn't pull off 3.5 or better brother.XX😉.

He's done wonders in bad box office times with Titanic, snow.storms and earthquakes with Avatar.

His film looks to rise above the odds yet again.🤠

Yes theaters are reopening but it’s important to keep in mind that they still won’t be full open (probably 75-80% by OD) and that just because things are more open now doesn’t mean there still aren’t a lot of people who will be uncomfortable going to the theater.

I know a lot of fans have huge expectations now but I don’t want to see y’all spiral downward if market conditions or legs don’t match your visions.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

In the case of Avatar, the state of the Earth is apparently pretty bleak. I assume that’ll be addressed by movie 5, though. 

Yeah we see that right at the start of the extended cut. Cameron says that is the future we are headed towards but then he transports us to Pandora and that's the escape audiences need more than ever now.

2 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Yes theaters are reopening but it’s important to keep in mind that they still won’t be full open (probably 75-80% by OD) and that just because things are more open now doesn’t mean there still aren’t a lot of people who will be uncomfortable going to the theater.

I know a lot of fans have huge expectations now but I don’t want to see y’all spiral downward if market conditions or legs don’t match your visions.

Thing is 2bil is LOCKED, 2.5bil (which is my predicition) is probably locked to be honest. I feel this is actually going to go over 3bil but i'm sticking with my 2.5bil total due to the difficult market.

Point is even 2bil is fantatstic in this current market, so i dont think there will be too many meltdowns if A2 doesnt get 3 or 4bil.

28 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Deadline's latest weekend box office update + Avatar 2 domestic OW blurb

"Also, with 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water set to conquer all business next weekend with a potential $200M domestic start, nobody wants to waste the marketing dollars to play in front of that, especially when moviegoing doesn’t pick up until after Christmas, when there’s zero holiday distractions and kids go on break."

I'm no expert in evaluating presales data but $200m would require a lot of walk-up business, wouldn't it? Definitely not impossible since it's not as fanboy driven but man, expectations are getting really high. I don't want to get disappointed when it doesn't quite hit those numbers! :unsure:

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I watched Avatar 1 in IMAX 3D the first time in September and it still has some of the most beautiful visuals I've ever seen in any movies. There's just something about its art direction that today's blockbusters can't hold a candle to, even when we talk about something like Dune which is impressive and mesmerizing on its own terms (Brutalist) but the lively & vivid color palette and the incredible use of lighting and glowing objects in Avatar are the kind of things that simply win the masses over. After all, cinema is, at its core, a visual art form. 

What TWOW will bring to the table, I can't even imagine. 

Is the version of Avatar on Disney+ the 4K version because I watched the first half of it last night and it doesn't look as good as I remember it—or maybe because its I haven't seen it in at least 12 years and its dated.

Anyways there are quite a few movies released since then that I'd say are definitely more striking on a visual level; Fury Road, Prometheus, Blade Runner 2049, Dune, The Martian, Interstellar, etc.

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Anyways there are quite a few movies released since then that I'd say are definitely more striking on a visual level; Fury Road, Prometheus, Blade Runner 2049, Dune, The Martian, Interstellar, etc.

Serious?, i guess Diseny were showing a pirate copy or something as apart from a few of the explosions in the final battle looking a little dodgy today, AVATAR still looks better than anything i have seen, and there are  a lot of people that say the same.

• Disbelief 1

43 minutes ago, danziger said:

Expectations are so high now $170m OW is going to feel like a disappointment, but it would actually still be great especially since all indications are this will have amazing WOM. WOM is far more important than OW.

I'm pretty sure that with a movie like TWOW, everyone who wants to see it will see it anyway, if not on OW then later in the run. At the end of the day, the final gross will be as much as it can make, OW notwithstanding.

12 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I'm no expert in evaluating presales data but $200m would require a lot of walk-up business, wouldn't it? Definitely not impossible since it's not as fanboy driven but man, expectations are getting really high. I don't want to get disappointed when it doesn't quite hit those numbers! :unsure:

It would. More than even Jurassic World: Dominion had (8x IM). I find that unlikely based on current data but I could be wrong.