Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I'm sure it'll look great and have cutting-edge technology but that doesn't mean it'll be a game-changer, at least not in the way that might affect audience viewing. TRUE LIES pushed in the limits of technology at the time, but in a more-or-less invisible way. Shooting underwater mocap is not going to be this insane new thing that makes the GA go "OMG, that's insane!" It's just broadening the scope of a filmmaker's tools and refining the process so that shooting mocap can be quicker, more efficient, and more interactive.Even if it's a breakthrough in VFX and/or shooting methods, that doesn't necessarily translate to box-office: just look at THE ABYSS.

But Avatar 2 is a sequel that alone gives it an edge over something like Abyss and add in other factors, I just don't see how Avatar 2 isn't gargantuan at the BO.  ;)  :P

I would actually prefer it if the sequels didn't focus on Jake. Worthington is a charisma-vacuum and his hero's journey was over and done with by the end of the first movie. It's the same problem the Matrix sequels had. Neo had already become the One by the end, so the Wachowskis had to come up with some artificial obstacles ("upgrades", Agent Smith returning for no reason) to drag out the story for the sequels. Lucas was smart enough to not have Luke become a full Jedi and destroy Darth Vader at the end of ANH, so he actually had some story left to tell for the sequels.

The problem with Matrix was that they pressed the resset button so Neo went from "I'm the One" at the end of Matrix to "Er, scratch that, maybe I'm not the One after all" in the sequels. There was no reason for him to doubt himself. It was only done to forward the plot so it didn't come from character but was a plot conveniece. And that's wrong.

Also, just because one movie was about hero journey, it doesn't mean all sequels have to be. if Avatar moves from Hero Journey (which is finished in the first movie) and take the character somewhere else he'll be fine. I've no reason to doubt that he will becasue he did a great job with taking Ripley and Sarah further from where they were at the end of Alien and Terminator. He gave Ripley the whole surrogate mother dimension and Sarah was coping with PTSD. Which is why those two work as tough chick characters - they are injected with enough vincibility and vulnerability to relate to them.  

Edited by fishnets

The problem with Matrix was that they pressed the resset button so Neo went from "I'm the One" at the end of Matrix to "Er, scratch that, maybe I'm not the One after all" in the sequels. There was no reason for him to doubt himself. It was only done to forward the plot so it didn't come from character but was a plot conveniece. And that's wrong.

Also, just because one movie was about hero journey, it doesn't mean all sequels have to be. if Avatar moves from Hero Journey (which is finished in the first movie) and take the character somewhere else he'll be fine. I've no reason to doubt that he will becasue he did a great job with taking Ripley and Sarah further from where they were at the end of Alien and Terminator. He gave Ripley the whole surrogate mother dimension and Sarah was coping with PTSD. Which is why those two work as tough chick characters - they are injected with enough vincibility and vulnerability to relate to them.  

Agreed Avatar has infinite possibilities on where to go with Jake and his love Neteyri...And unlock the brothers failure with Matrix, Cameron can certainly write better and surround himself with folks to add  to what he creates to make more journeys of the characters worthwhile.. I also want a grand happy ending with for the Jake and the princess of the Navii.. Not that sorry outcome that killed Matrix III's potential to be a giant at the BO.

Edited by Superman001

Both arguments for increase/decrease in DOM are valid I think, however, if you are STILL arguing that Avatar made its money due to 3D novelty then I'm just gonna faceplam and walk away.

People don't go see it multiple times just for the technology. It's the whole experience, and the story plays the most important role.

IMO, the story was one of the most accessible and followed the hero cycle perfectly like SW.

That Bballman is why I feel Avengers 2 will be outclasses, outranked, and surely beaten in everyway when Juggernaut  roars

in 2015-2016.. Consider Avatar out sold out muscled Avengers from quality to merchandising and on home video, you

can bet your bottom dollar that Avatar is going to go the route of Lord of the Rings and the films increase domestically and OS.

Avatar is not SWs, the experience is far more memorizing and I rem James said the events of Avatar 2 will take us to even more amazing places and experiences.. Hang on to your hat Bballman, those laughing at no repeats of 700M or 800-1Bil domestic is impossible, should underestimate James Cameron and his fanbase for Avatar..

There really is no competition, as no one has every seen Titanic or Avatar's equal...So I agree

Bballman compadre.  You cannot  compare Juggernaut 2  to films whose sequels fell short of original, given the track record of Camerons Films. :). Cameron and his films hum to a different tune when it comes to GA

love and repeat business..   Expect a 7-9x+ Multi  from the OW.  I want to see Avengers 2 deal with that

domestically.. LOL

Edited by Superman001

It doesn't change the fact that Avatar won't drop attendance thanks to expanded markets, no matter "adjusted" bullcrap meter of yours. People like you are really so clueless about Avatar's success, it's hilarious.

Dont worry dash, we will have smelling salts ready for the haters and BKB when he says how outclassed

Avengers 2 really is..  LOL..

When people see this film 5-10 times and still go and buy merchandise and multiple version of Avatar on home video(And they still didnt release the 3D version to recently to the masses..It shows just how big the event will be)

I expect generations, young adults  , kids to drag all their peers and friends to experience multiple times what Cameron has in store  for us next. All our friends are forgettingg that Avatar I did 760mil domestic in a much smaller market domestically

and 2B+ OS in far far smaller market than in 2009... Its going to be frightening to see what the sequel could do..

And I dare say a 200+M OW is not impossible in Decemember.. If James makes it again the film you just have to run to experience yet again.. We will see 150-220+OW finally realized in the winter.. And boy will I be cheering!!!

• Like 1

Like Tele said ESB had all those elements, A2 can have all them and more. With that plus new filming techniques plus new advancements in 3D wouldn't A2 surpass Avatar?

Neo folks also ignore that there will be way more Imaxes and 3D theater domestically as well..lol ANd this is James Cameron,

he will be working on more things to wow audiences. Like he said the technology laid the foundation and all these things were

created to expand on this universe and provide a constantly improving experience. ^^ To Elessar the majority thinks Avatar will descrease, you obviously havent been looking at the 700-1.3 billion domestic predicts online and the 2.5-3.8B OS predictions out there lol..

I doubt the majority think Juggernaut 2016 is going to decrease. Neo I think we have 95% for A2 increasing on all fronts

and breaking records unbreakable by all the other BO giants.. Expect up to 400 M in Japan and China..

This is going to be crazy.... And I expect an OW of 150-230M during the winter!! And Avatar2 will have a 7-9x+ Multi.

Forget about 4x.. And remember Kal said it here first!!

OH my on what that means for the domestic tally!! :stirthepot:

Neo folks also ignore that there will be way more Imaxes and 3D theater domestically as well..lol ANd this is James Cameron,

he will be working on more things to wow audiences. Like he said the technology laid the foundation and all these things were

created to expand on this universe and provide a constantly improving experience. ^^ To Elessar the majority thinks Avatar will descrease, you obviously havent been looking at the 700-1.3 billion domestic predicts online and the 2.5-3.8B OS predictions out there lol..

I doubt the majority think Juggernaut 2016 is going to decrease. Neo I think we have 95% for A2 increasing on all fronts

and breaking records unbreakable by all the other BO giants.. Expect up to 400 M in Japan and China..

This is going to be crazy.... And I expect an OW of 150-230M during the winter!! And Avatar2 will have a 7-9x+ Multi.

Forget about 4x.. And remember Kal said it here first!!

OH my on what that means for the domestic tally!! :stirthepot:

So, for your highend (230 x 9), you expect 2.07bn in the US. H'okay then.

All I can say dude is you need to put down the pipe and walk away.. :sherlock: It's clouded your judgement.. :ty: 

Look who's talking lolNot only will Avatar sequels focus on other characters, I think it will focus on other planets/moons. The scale of the sequels will be huge.James Cameron is Batman of the film industry. When someone asks, "How did he do it?"You just answer, "Because he's James Cameron!!!" lol
  • Like 3

Look who's talking lol

Not only will Avatar sequels focus on other characters, I think it will focus on other planets/moons. The scale of the sequels will be huge.

James Cameron is Batman of the film industry. When someone asks, "How did he do it?"

You just answer, "Because he's James Cameron!!!" lol

Isn't Nolan the Batman of the film industry? :stirthepot:

my prediction dom 130m ow 4 X multiplier 520m (3d share decrease by 50%)OS 1.4 bil (3d share decrease by 30%)total 1.92 bilthese results follow only if the film is as goog as the first oneschedule will be tightier than what first avatar had (free run till Alice on march 5)

• Like 1

I know one thing. People claimed that ST09 was so incredibly loved that STiD would have a huuuuuge jump. It decreased despite 3D and inflation. People also claim that Avatar wasn't that much liked and it's already forgotten. Time will tell if they'll be right this time.