Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Haven't seen the movie yet. But from the reactions i am reading, i am getting a feeling that Jim may have made a few crucial decisions script wise that have negatively affected the box office.

1. Splitting the plot of the initial second movie into 2 movies. Thus giving us 4 sequels, instead of 3. That may have resulted in Way of water not having as satisfying ending as possible.

2. Desire to put his personal interests as centerpieces of the movie. One being family dynamics and kids, the other being the underwater setting. While neither is inherently bad, i am getting a feeling too much of the film is dedicated to those, without actually pushing the plot forward. Possibly to the point where the average audience might prefer the movie to have 20-30 minutes less worth of those scenes.

3. Too much focus on Navi. Or not enough focus on humans. That might result in plot not feeling epic enough, if the audience is always watching the same characters. Water setting may also be contributing to that, as water offers inherently fewer details, compared to jungle and especially floating mountains, for epic vistas.

Anyway, as i said, havent yet seen the movie so ill be interested in seeing just how far i'll be from actual issues and potential issues of the movie.

It would be sad if part 2 ends up being the weakest of all avatar movies. Especially if it ends up hurting the 3rd movie and even possibly causing 4th and 5th one being cancelled.

• Like 1

I liked Avatar: The Way of Water but I did it find it to be a step down from the first one. It’s definitely in the bottom half of Cameron’s filmography.

The film doesn’t ease you in, it hits the ground running and awkwardly finagles it’s way to the story it wants to tell. Once the film settles down with the water people I was totally locked in and I was once again spellbound by the magic of Pandora. 

It goes without saying it’s visually mind-blowing, just incredible. Cameron is in another zone, especially the action direction in the last act which absolutely rips. It delivers on spectacle in a way that other blockbusters only dream of doing. 3-D was top notch, specifically the underwater stuff. The HFR was a little distracting and unnatural in moments but for the most part I was indifferent to it which I suppose is an improvement. The score is lacklustre, lazily reusing Horner’s music and nothing new to offer. 

Surprisingly I liked all the kids which I thought was going to be the most annoying part. They’re all written like 90’s Cameron kids and I found that endearing. Jake and Neytiri really take a hit in this one, they really are secondary to the children who get the spotlight. Jake gets side-saddled with a one-note stern dad thing and Neytiri is completely underused despite being the best thing about ‘Avatar’. 

Despite some problems I had a lot of fun and above all else I had a genuine cinematic experience. I’m so happy that between this and Maverick this year we’ve had two completely un-cynical, sincere, blockbusters that were chock full of wide-eyed wonder. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, eridani said:

Haven't seen the movie yet. But from the reactions i am reading, i am getting a feeling that Jim may have made a few crucial decisions script wise that have negatively affected the box office.

1. Splitting the plot of the initial second movie into 2 movies. Thus giving us 4 sequels, instead of 3. That may have resulted in Way of water not having as satisfying ending as possible.

2. Desire to put his personal interests as centerpieces of the movie. One being family dynamics and kids, the other being the underwater setting. While neither is inherently bad, i am getting a feeling too much of the film is dedicated to those, without actually pushing the plot forward. Possibly to the point where the average audience might prefer the movie to have 20-30 minutes less worth of those scenes.

3. Too much focus on Navi. Or not enough focus on humans. That might result in plot not feeling epic enough, if the audience is always watching the same characters. Water setting may also be contributing to that, as water offers inherently fewer details, compared to jungle and especially floating mountains, for epic vistas.

Anyway, as i said, havent yet seen the movie so ill be interested in seeing just how far i'll be from actual issues and potential issues of the movie.

It would be sad if part 2 ends up being the weakest of all avatar movies. Especially if it ends up hurting the 3rd movie and even possibly causing 4th and 5th one being cancelled.

1. The ending was perfect

2. ? These are topics who affect nearly everyone.

3. Not really, the humans play also a crucial roll.

Most of the people say its better than the first one, storywise and visually their is no doubt. The first one has the advantage of being something new and never seen before.

Watch the movie for yourself and dont listen to others.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Utmost priority is that we get Avatar 3, 4 and 5 now. The run was always about legs and it's super rewatchable. Let's see what it can do

Glad you're back IronJimbo brother.

Seen the film twice myself, seeing it 3rd time tomorrow in 3D.

Its been tough on here the past few days but the film can still prove the doubters wrong.

• Like 2

I don't really get some complaints about ending, for a story that was split into multiple movies the ending felt pretty satisfying and completed with a couple of loose ends that will be resolved in next sequels, it's not nearly as abrupt as Dune which literally ended in the middle of the story.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Glad you're back IronJimbo brother.

Seen the film twice myself, seeing it 3rd time tomorrow in 3D.

Its been tough on here the past few days but the film can still prove the doubters wrong.

Seems like I avoided the worst of it 😂, feel like things will get better from here from the box office side of things.

The 3D is so much better than the first movie by the way, it's so consistent across the whole movie and you honestly forgert you're watching 3D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I wonder why they sidelined during the marketing when the kid characters they basically steal the show in the movie. 

They are original 'faces' of Avatar and known actors, it makes more sense they promote movie on premiere

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Seems like I avoided the worst of it 😂, feel like things will get better from here from the box office side of things.

The 3D is so much better than the first movie by the way, it's so consistent across the whole movie and you honestly forgert you're watching 3D

Doom posting and mocking was strong, don't get discouraged!

1 minute ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Global opening looks to be ~$430M (+/- 5%)

Final tally estimate = $1800-2200M.

Nice one XXR.

And i have to say after all the doom and gloom, and celebrating, around here the last few days, the fact the WW OW isnt going to be THAT far off some of our 500+mil predicitions beforehand, well i jst feel as usual people are jumping the gun in regards to this films long term prospects..

Still feel 2bil is happening, and i still feel 2.5b is more than possible.

• Like 1

Just now, stuart360 said:

Nice one XXR.

And i have to say after all the doom and gloom, and celebrating, around here the last few days, the fact the WW OW isnt going to be THAT far off some of our 500+mil predicitions beforehand, well i jst feel as usual people are jumping the gun in regards to this films long term prospects..

Still feel 2bil is happening, and i still feel 2.5b is more than possible.

$2B is definitely still on the table. I'm not sure if I'd bet on it at this point due to the China collapse but it's still there. We will have a clearer picture in 2 weeks but everything is fine for now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

$2B is definitely still on the table. I'm not sure if I'd bet on it at this point due to the China collapse but it's still there. We will have a clearer picture in 2 weeks but everything is fine for now. 

If Japan and China were not doing that poorly, I could easily see $2B, right now more around $1.8B but all depends on legs, if legs are bad we can end close to TG:M. 

1 minute ago, adaros said:

If Japan and China were not doing that poorly, I could easily see $2B, right now more around $1.8B but all depends on legs, if legs are bad we can end close to TG:M. 

Japan is the most shocking thing about this run. It's literally going to drop like 80% with no restrictions/issues. 

10 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Well i thought China would do 800mil under notmal circumstances so i'm just going to add 600mil ontol A2's final WW gros he he.😋

I'm just messing obviously, but its a damn shame about China (both box office wise, and covid wise).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1