Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Well that's kind of the point. After Glass Onion was released my facebook and twitter algorithms were awash wth inane Benoit Blanc memes, but I've seen nothing for this. We can take is as read avatar memes exist somewhere, but given anything moderately popular is memeified and eventually seen by anyone terminally online, their confinement is notable.

Again, not an insult to the movie. I know Avatar fans are exquisitely sensitive to cultural impact discourse and see it as concern trolling, but this is not that. If anything the movie's distance from social media is enjoyably old school. I'm saying I quite like it.

Using your own algorithm which is tailored to your own preferences is one of the worst things you can do to get a general sense of what is going on online (and considering almost every time I see you show up in this thread it's to say something negative, I take it you're no big Avatar fan, so why should your very own algorithm favor this kind of content?)

Avatar has a presence online, I see it come up randomly all the time and in places that are not tailored to my preferences

For example, there is a subreddit called r/moviescirclejerk that makes jokes or memes about online movie culture

4 of the top 6 posts from last month are Avatar related

https://www.reddit.com/r/moviescirclejerk/top/?t=month

Linked some of them here (you'll like #2)

Spoiler

Edited by Alexdube

A lot of the Avatar memes are about related to the “no cultural impact” argument, and about how much money they’ve made, but honestly, I don’t think that should be seen as a swipe against these films. People like the Avatar movies. The movies have a fans. They just tend to be more casual than Star Wars or Marvel fans. 

10 minutes ago, Elessar said:

At least here in Europe the admissions drop is pretty minimal, like in Germany or France. We know an event when we see one. ;) 

So now after

- No cultural impact

- After 13 years no one will remember this movie

- No meme

- Money Laundry

- I dont know anyone who saw this movie

- It´s only because of the high ticket prices

we are now at the point of admissions. Nice 😁How many more are there?

Edited by dignam
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

3 billies was robbed by covid.

The domestic market did ok but overally they're trolling, america is legit one of the worst markets in the world for avatar relative to it's size. It's quite interesting.

I know it's amazing that the os market for A2 alone could have potential have hit over 3 billion had this come out with no pandemic. We will still come pretty darn close to that 3 billy with 2.4-2.5 billion ww or more. Beating both tentpoles from.marvel  films by 1.6b+ and Maverick by 900m-1billion Plus.

Hah Hah @ Avatar is forgotten and no.one.is thinking about the franchise anymore.😄😉🦝

Hopefully we creep past that wingman domestically. He's felt us os and now we'll aim to take him on the domestic front Jimbo. 

Maverick Can.you hear Avatar 2 family knocking?!

Top Gun Maverick Flip GIF by Top Gun

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

43 minutes ago, dignam said:

So now after

- No cultural impact

- After 13 years no one will remember this movie

- No meme

- Money Laundry

- I dont know anyone who saw this movie

- It´s only because of the high ticket prices

we are now at the point of admissions. Nice 😁How many more are there?

The trolls when they lose completely they are dedicated brother dignam😄🦝👍

Hopefully we'll throw a lil more salt on their wounds if we not only pass Maverick domestically as well, but Way of the Water  creeps over endgame and spidey domestically with the planned  A2 re-release coming soon! 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I've yet to see a single meme for this, which given its success seems remarkable. That's not a veiled 'it has no cultural impact!' insult either: it feels like Cameron's released a movie in a demension where the internet was never invented. God knows MCU memes are tiresome enough.

That is not my experience at all lol. The one Na'Vi with shades has garnered a ton of "where was he on January 6th" memes

2 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

I know it's amazing that the os market for A2 alone could have potential have hit over 3 billion had this come out with no pandemic. We will still come pretty darn close to that 3 billy with 2.4-2.5 billion ww or more. Beating both tentpoles from.marvel  films by 1.6b+ and Maverick by 900m-1billion Plus.

Hah Hah @ Avatar is forgotten and no.one.is thinking about the franchise anymore.😄😉🦝

Hopefully we creep past that wingman domestically. He's felt us os and now we'll aim to take him on the domestic front Jimbo. 

Maverick Can.you hear Avatar 2 family knocking?!

Top Gun Maverick Flip GIF by Top Gun

I can hear Tom Cruise right now, "nope, I can't hear a thing". A2 is not going to catch TGM in the domestic market.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I can hear Tom Cruise right now, "nope, I can't hear a thing". A2 is not going to catch TGM in the domestic market.

We will see. Those Superbowl and Award Ads could give that little boost we need Brother Deucee. Still regardless we blew Away maverick in every other market. We can let him get the smallest one lol.  You do know A2 is going to be re-released right.. So

Jake Sully may get another shot at Maverick before A3:D

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

14 hours ago, Elessar said:

At least here in Europe the admissions drop is pretty minimal, like in Germany or France. We know an event when we see one. ;) 

If US had taken cues from continental Europe and Canada we'd have an easy $800m grosser.

• Like 2

#1 All Time in a thousand countries and More in counting. Unstoppable.

Rumor has it that Ancient Spanish Icon, Armando Christian 'Pitbull' Perez is passing down the title of "Mr. Worldwide" to the one and only James Cameron for his prowess in touching the hearts and souls. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Mr Roark said:

Not 100% sure but during the summer 2010 like early July.

really hope it ends up happening, I need an excuse to watch it a third and my countries first imax screen will only be up by july