Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

CNBC article breaking ticket sales for the Domestic market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/06/avatar-the-way-of-water-3d-tickets.html?&qsearchterm=avatar

30% of tickets sold - Premium screenings avg. per ticket $17.80

56% of tickets sold - 3D avg. per ticket $16.30

14% of tickets sold - 2D avg. per ticket $12.12

Domestic box office to Sunday Feb 5: $636,955,746

Using the above

Premium tickets sold: 10,735,209

3D tickets sold: 21,883,142

Standard tickets sold: 7,357,574

Total: 39,975,925

Avg. ticket price: $15.93

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

thats kinda low

they better have some new tricks up their sleeve with 3's marketing 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

CNBC article breaking ticket sales for the Domestic market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/06/avatar-the-way-of-water-3d-tickets.html?&qsearchterm=avatar

30% of tickets sold - Premium screenings avg. per ticket $17.80

56% of tickets sold - 3D avg. per ticket $16.30

14% of tickets sold - 2D avg. per ticket $12.12

Domestic box office to Sunday Feb 5: $636,955,746

Using the above

Premium tickets sold: 10,735,209

3D tickets sold: 21,883,142

Standard tickets sold: 7,357,574

Avg. ticket price: $15.93

I don't think the 30%, 56% and 14% split is right. It should be 56% 3D and 44% 2D whereas PLF take 30% regardless of 3D or 2D. 

And the article said 56% of the ticket sold were in 3D, not gross. In gross term, this 56% should be a lot since 3D carries higher price and as far as we know, almost all PLF-type are in 3D except ScreenX.

8 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

thats kinda low

they better have some new tricks up their sleeve with 3's marketing 

It checks out though. Attendance and the overall ambience at the theatre isn't jiving with the raw numbers these days. For instance, Wakanda Forever opened to $181M but the theatre wasn't busy by any stretch of the imagination, and I went during peak hours on opening Friday.

I can't remember the last time my theatre was actually packed. I suppose it was for No Way Home. Endgame was the last time people were standing shoulder to shoulder in the theatre like it was a rock concert.

Big.prices are driving the box office returns, definitely.not attendance.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Verrows said:

It checks out though. Attendance and the overall ambience at the theatre isn't jiving with the raw numbers these days. For instance, Wakanda Forever opened to $181M but the theatre wasn't busy by any stretch of the imagination, and I went during peak hours on opening Friday.

I can't remember the last time my theatre was actually packed. I suppose it was for No Way Home. Endgame was the last time people were standing shoulder to shoulder in the theatre like it was a rock concert.

All about presentation.. Top Gun 2 and even more on giving you your moneys worth Avatar 2 give you one of kind experiences. For that people will keep coming   back for more. Avatar creeping towards 700M Domestic and still at least 2-3 months left in theaters. I hope we get TGM all. Avatar 3 depending on mother nature and if we are in war will really be tested, but fans will support that film as long as its feasible. No film will be a lock in times ahead. But I still hope its a good year when A3-A4 gets launched.  The rumoured SM4 live action featuring  Tobey Maguire and Mel Gibsons Passion of Christ 2.  Hopefully we still have some good times for Box office indeed.

Avatar 2 700+M and 2.4B-2.5b WW--Lets GO!

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:43 AM, The Dark Alfred said:

WW tally is impressive. 700m domestic is dead and buried. For now, of course - as re-release next year is expected.

Not so fast Brother Alfred.. Lol Seems we may reach 700M domestic without a release. Drops are still amazing.. Lets see if we get any boosts from Awards and last min WOM. 

Media expects 680-700+M domestic... So Maverick isnt safe yet lol(Well A2 has conquered TGM by a mile Flying Sam Worthington GIF by Avatar but  we want that domestic crown lol..)

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Avatar 3 will be the real test for this franchise. 

All depends on what the whole movie world is facing. Witty. One thing for sure if Avatar 3 cant make money unlikely any film will do Big Blockbuster numbers either lol. 

So hopefully we have some good years for Box Office fun.

Other films that will be interesting to track are Passion of Christ 2. A spiderman live action film starring the OG Spiderman Tobey Maguire thats planned with hopefully Raimi Directing, Godzilla and Kong and World War  Hulk Saga!

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Update

3 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

All about presentation.. Top Gun 2 and even more on giving you your moneys worth Avatar 2 give you one of kind experiences. For that people will keep coming   back for more. Avatar creeping towards 700M Domestic and still at least 2-3 months left in theaters. I hope we get TGM all. Avatar 3 depending on mother nature and if we are in war will really be tested, but fans will support that film as long as its feasible. No film will be a lock in times ahead. But I still hope its a good year when A3-A4 gets launched.  The rumoured SM4 live action featuring  Tobey Maguire and Mel Gibsons Passion of Christ 2.  Hopefully we still have some good times for Box office indeed.

Avatar 2 700+M and 2.4B-2.5b WW--Lets GO!

No I realize that, and I agree, but I'm just commenting on the admissions. When you compare to past mega blockbusters they're really low. That's certainly not a knock on Avatar as this is the case for every single movie. Admissions are way down and but the dollars and cents are still big and that's due to hugely inflated ticket prices.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

lol that's barely over half of Avatar 1's tickets sold

Pretty much, it's symptomatic of an industry wide problem, theatre attendance across the board in the domestic market is WAY down. The latest move by AMC to jack premium seats by $2 will drive even more people to stay home and enjoy content at their leisure. Given the quality of the home experience that can be achieved these days (65-77" OLED screens, 4K/Blu + decent sound) why would anyone even bother to go to theatre except in very rare cases where the huge screen makes it worthwhile? 

The industry has changed substantially since 2009 and the big chains are circling the drain with this policy of constantly increasing prices to make up for lost revenue. Punish loyal customers by asking them to pay more? 

The avg. price of a 2009 movie ticket according to the MPAA was $7.50, even if you stick a 25% premium for 3D, Avatar 2009 sold about 80 million tickets. 

I firmly believe the next two years will determine the fate of this industry in North America. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Verrows said:

In my area the only screens that ever come close to 65-95% capacity are IMAX and that's for huge movies like Avatar/Top Gun/Marvel/DC, that's it.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Pretty much, it's symptomatic of an industry wide problem, theatre attendance across the board in the domestic market is WAY down. The latest move by AMC to jack premium seats by $2 will drive even more people to stay home and enjoy content at their leisure. Given the quality of the home experience that can be achieved these days (65-77" OLED screens, 4K/Blu + decent sound) why would anyone even bother to go to theatre except in very rare cases where the huge screen makes it worthwhile? 

The industry has changed substantially since 2009 and the big chains are circling the drain with this policy of constantly increasing prices to make up for lost revenue. Punish loyal customers by asking them to pay more? 

The avg. price of a 2009 movie ticket according to the MPAA was $7.50, even if you stick a 25% premium for 3D, Avatar 2009 sold about 80 million tickets. 

I firmly believe the next two years will determine the fate of this industry in North America. 

All depends on how you do the math. I'm pretty sure you give the 2d percentage a higher average it will be more like 55-60m tickets sold.  Since alot of folks couldn't get the best version I'm pretty sure the 2d split was a bit higer.than the nums being thrown. I would think it's more like 48-55 m tickets than 39. Avatar was estimated to have sold 80-88m tickets btw.

5 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

So then that 39 mil figure is way off. I'm pretty sure A2 will sell at least 65- 70+ mil tickets or more domestically by the first theatrical runs end.🦝😉

Um, no? The Average ticket price of $11 is quoted from an article from Oct 2022.  But even if there hasn't been a ATP rise since then and CNBC is off, 3D PLF tickets aren't gonna be anywhere close to $11.  Nor are any type of ATP for 3D tickets.