Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

It's incomparable to T1 and T2's gap. We live in an era that's fueled by non-stop information needs. Humans constantly need new information and 7 years is longer now than it was in the 80s/90s. Avatar's hype died, just like Frozen's hype will die at some point. That doesn't mean the movie won't be liked anymore, it just means that the GA are not as interested anymore as they have probably moved on to the next hype.

Not saying Avatar 2 won't make money as it certainly will get some interest as 'the sequel to the world's highest grosser of all time'. It probably won't make nearly as much as it would have if it were released in 2011.

It's incomparable to T1 and T2's gap. We live in an era that's fueled by non-stop information needs. Humans constantly need new information and 7 years is longer now than it was in the 80s/90s. Avatar's hype died, just like Frozen's hype will die at some point. That doesn't mean the movie won't be liked anymore, it just means that the GA are not as interested anymore as they have probably moved on to the next hype.

Not saying Avatar 2 won't make money as it certainly will get some interest as 'the sequel to the world's highest grosser of all time'. It probably won't make nearly as much as it would have if it were released in 2011.

Nah 2555 days is still 2555 days. It has 'died' because its not in the limelight. Come Comic-Con 2017 or earlier won't be the case.

Why?

Why?

2 year release date gap sweet spot. The best time to release a sequel is generally 2 years after the first movie. If it had been released in 2011, a lot of people (especially in overseas markets) would be more interested. In the meantime we have gotten other franchises to care about. People went to Avatar because it was supposed to be an incredible cinematic experience, in the meantime we have had movies like Inception, Gravity and Interstellar to do that for us. And at last, there is the decline in interest in 3D. Avatar started a 3D hype, but it's been on a decline since every major movie gets a 3D release next to its normal release.

2 year release date gap sweet spot. The best time to release a sequel is generally 2 years after the first movie. If it had been released in 2011, a lot of people (especially in overseas markets) would be more interested. In the meantime we have gotten other franchises to care about. People went to Avatar because it was supposed to be an incredible cinematic experience, in the meantime we have had movies like Inception, Gravity and Interstellar to do that for us. And at last, there is the decline in interest in 3D. Avatar started a 3D hype, but it's been on a decline since every major movie gets a 3D release next to its normal release.

Perhaps this hype will be 4K 4D!!!

I love how people come here don t realize they are repeating the same tired old arguments that 50 other posters already talked about 400 times.

Read the thread a little because it s Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow, arguments wise.

Thx.

• Like 2

People don't go "we already had Inception, Gravity and Interstellar, i had my fill (of movies that really don't have much to do with one another)". They go "hmm, i remember liking Avatar and this sequel looks dope, let's go!".

I think the ultimate troll would be for this movie to get delayed every year leaving this thread in an eternal debate cycle for a movie always in pre-production but never actually made.

James Cameron doesn't play by Box Office rules. His whole videography is one gigantic troll on BO enthusiasts.

• Like 2

What if Cameron decided that actually 3D wasnt the future and this movie was going to be released in 2D exclusively. Would it still be a success?

Or would it outgross the first? Domestically and internationally? Would him turning away from 3D have a negative impact PR wise?

Edited by RaidensSword

What if Cameron decided that actually 3D wasnt the future and this movie was going to be released in 2D exclusively. Would it still be a success?

Or would it outgross the first? Domestically and internationally? Would him turning away from 3D have a negative impact PR wise?

I don't think any one would choose not to see the film solely because it's not in 3D.

One of the theatres I go to, RONNIIES 20 CINE, has this... It doesn't sell very well cause of the hefty premium the theatre charges to experience it..

We had our first one in the UK open at the end of January. It's at least an extra £5, but I can justify that for me. What I can't justify is travelling to Milton Keynes just for a film.
  • Like 1

We had our first one in the UK open at the end of January. It's at least an extra £5, but I can justify that for me. What I can't justify is travelling to Milton Keynes just for a film.

Wait you guys actually have a 4D theater in your cinemas!?