Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, KP1025 said:

Can't wait to see what Cameron has in store for Pandora's oceans. I wonder when we'll get to see the first official image from Avatar 2.

Not to get too hyped but he has been working on new camera techniques for filming underwater scenes.

There is going to be such a beautiful sequence in A2 I just know it.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Not to get two hyped but he has been working on new camera techniques for filming underwater scenes.

There is going to be such a beautiful sequence in A2 I just know it.

There is so much potential for the underwater world. The environments in the first film were already jaw-dropping and hard to top visually, but I think Cameron will manage to deliver something even more incredible this time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

JAMES 'IRON JIM' CAMERON DESTROYS MYTHBUSTERS

LOL. He was totally down with their process. Even joked around with them and admitted the production hadn't carefully calculated the exact size the plank needed to be. Which is fine. It's fiction. Jack died because the script said so. :lol: 

Avatar was on Channel 4 in the UK last night, so i watched it for the first time in years.

The first hour or so is a bit Meh, if visually impressive and I still hated Langs character (but not in a good movie hate way, just flat out hate), BUT the last 90 mins are fantastic. In fact I stopped the C4 showing and fired up the 3D BR I have. Yeah OK the 3D is great, but I feel like nothing has bettered it since, which hasn't helped 3D catch on. No other movie has invested in every single element to make 3D work, which includes the sound mix.

While Avatar 3D is great I still dont think sequels are going to reinvigorate the 3D market in any meaningful way. At home, its dead, and Cinemas arent going to invest in something new if its going to flat line again, like HFR did instantly and 3D is slowly.

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Avatar 2 doesn't have to be in the December slot.  Fox could easily slot it in a summer spot or a pre-Thanksgiving slot.  Especially now with SW making grabbing a tent pole release for a big blockbuster a lot more complicated.

Sws wants to avoid Avatar though, nostalgia can't beat class.

4 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

Avatar was on Channel 4 in the UK last night, so i watched it for the first time in years.

The first hour or so is a bit Meh, if visually impressive and I still hated Langs character (but not in a good movie hate way, just flat out hate), BUT the last 90 mins are fantastic. In fact I stopped the C4 showing and fired up the 3D BR I have. Yeah OK the 3D is great, but I feel like nothing has bettered it since, which hasn't helped 3D catch on. No other movie has invested in every single element to make 3D work, which includes the sound mix.

While Avatar 3D is great I still dont think sequels are going to reinvigorate the 3D market in any meaningful way. At home, its dead, and Cinemas arent going to invest in something new if its going to flat line again, like HFR did instantly and 3D is slowly.

Titanic is similar in that the ending sequence is long and exciting. Really keeps you hooked compelling film-making.

Home 3D tv's are dying but will that impact 3D at the cinema? You could go as far as to say it may help 3D in the cinema as people will have no choice but to watch 3D in cinema.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Sws wants to avoid Avatar though, nostalgia can't beat class.

Sure, a long dormant franchise that can't be guaranteed to end up as a massive hit isn't afraid of a multi-billion dollar franchise that was able to get a movie starring no original or familiar cast members (barring Vader and Tarkin, with Tarkin not even being in the trailers) to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time, and almost got TFA to 1B domestically, while also selling more tickets than Avatar.

Sure, they're totally not scared of that franchise.

• Like 3

I don't know the time frame for motion capture (the whole process could have gotten faster since the original), but it doesn't seem super unreasonable that this could still make December 2018 if they are indeed doing motion capture in August. Maybe a Spring 2019 release date could work well, if you coordinate it around Earth Day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I don't know the time frame for motion capture (the whole process could have gotten faster since the original), but it doesn't seem super unreasonable that this could still make December 2018 if they are indeed doing motion capture in August. Maybe a Spring 2019 release date could work well, if you coordinate it around Earth Day.

It s James Cameron, it s impossible to know exactly how the movie is being made.

The guy is always pushing the envelope in every way and He said it himself, the movie will be ready for December 2018 to avoid the big Star Wars movies.

2020 is way too far IMO and I don't think Summer is in the cards.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Sure, a long dormant franchise that can't be guaranteed to end up as a massive hit isn't afraid of a multi-billion dollar franchise that was able to get a movie starring no original or familiar cast members (barring Vader and Tarkin, with Tarkin not even being in the trailers) to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time, and almost got TFA to 1B domestically, while also selling more tickets than Avatar.

Sure, they're totally not scared of that franchise.

Thank god the dark side hasn't spread to the rest of the world, it's currently contained in America. Sold more tickets than Avatar? Lol maybe in the sws echo chamber you call your homeland.

Avatar vs Star Wars is a battle of talent/craft vs nostalgia/cookiecooking.