Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

29 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

https://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1902-Spring-2019/Cameron-Favreau-Innovators.aspx 

Really amazing article here. I'll let people have a read before I post select quotes. Also features another great Jim smile. :Gaga:

Cameron: It's the emotional continuity. And we just spent the last year and a half capturing Avatar 2 and Avatar 3, two close-to-three-hour movies, at the same time.

First we've got on the film lengths I think.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cameron: It's the emotional continuity. And we just spent the last year and a half capturing Avatar 2 and Avatar 3, two close-to-three-hour movies, at the same time.

First we've got on the film lengths I think.

So much in there to mine, these things do seem like they're going to make the Manhattan project look small. 

I'd engage with you and your nonsense @JimiQ, but I increasingly grow tired with having to deal with idiots. I sincerely hope you're not the person in your avatar, I don't know who in their right mind would have a child with the way society is currently going (unless they were a sadist of course). 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Is there anything other than EG with a shot at big Jim? I feel like EG will be a failure if it doesn't beat Avatar at this stage, imagine having 10 years, 22 films, and all this hype to take... second place. I'll actually feel bad for them. 

We are currently witnessing the peak of MCU for this generation, and a film to the level of anticipation of EG won't come from MCU for at the very least 5-6 years, by then, we don't know if people still feel the same about MCU. TLK won't get anywhere close to Avatar, and that's the biggest live action thing Disney's got,  EP9 probably barely top 1B, and that finishes the Skywalker saga. So I think we're in a situation where if EG doesn't outgross Avatar (still unlikely), Avatar doesn't have a challenger on the horizon in the near future, aside from the very obvious (Avatar sequels).

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

We are currently witnessing the peak of MCU for this generation, and a film to the level of anticipation of EG won't come from MCU for at the very least 5-6 years, by then, we don't know if people still feel the same about MCU. TLK won't get anywhere close to Avatar, and that's the biggest live action thing Disney's got,  EP9 probably barely top 1B, and that finishes the Skywalker saga. So I think we're in a situation where if EG doesn't outgross Avatar (still unlikely), Avatar doesn't have a challenger on the horizon in the near future, aside from the very obvious (Avatar sequels).

Literally last chance saloon for the heartless, this is everything and the kitchen sink that studio filmmaking has. If EG doesn't beat Avatar the TOP 3 WW is going to be Avatar 3, Avatar 2 and Avatar this time in 3 years.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Literally last chance saloon for the heartless, this is everything and the kitchen sink that studio filmmaking has. If EG doesn't beat Avatar the TOP 3 WW is going to be Avatar 3, Avatar 2 and Avatar this time in 3 years.

I think Avatar 3 vs Endgame could be interesting,as I am pretty optimistic about Avatar 2 out-gross both Endgame and Avatar. The other day I caught myself thinking about the Worldwide drop from Avatar 2 to Avatar 3, then I realized, what a totally random and bizarre thing to think about....😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, NCsoft said:

I think Avatar 3 vs Endgame could be interesting,as I am pretty optimistic about Avatar 2 out-gross both Endgame and Avatar. The other day I caught myself thinking about the Worldwide drop from Avatar 2 to Avatar 3, then I realized, what a totally random and bizarre thing to think about....😅

They're 1 year apart.

For Avatar that's effectively 6 months apart because we'll still be seeing A2 in cinema in  may 2021.

That's going to be interesting... really interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'm in two minds right now about EG vs A - I would like to see Jim reminded that he is mortal, and at the same time do want marketing for A2 to remind everyone it's the highest grossing film of all time.

JCS relax, its not beating Avatar

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Can never be certain of anything Jimbo, so I'm always preparing myself. 

Yeah, I think we'll have better idea by the end of the weekend

But even though

$600M China  $850 Domestic and $1350 OS-China is a stretch in all three market, and things rarely pan out that well across the board, an optimal scenario like that isn't outside of the realm of possibility, and thus Avatar can be dethroned, I will remain anxious for a while at least 😂

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

$600M China would be a 67% increase over IW

$850M Domestic 25.2% increase

$1350M Rest 33.7% increase

I really can't see this happening, did the MCU fanbase expand that much in 1 year? 

Just FYI, while you're going for upper bounds, with $330m+ happening domestic and the holidays coming for China, your upper bounds are more like $900m domestic and $650m China. 

So just $1250m for the rest, which is scarily possible 😕

Personally don't mind either way if Avatar eventually get's taken down. Either way it's free advertising for Avatar 2 and gives JC a bigger target to aim for. $3B is out of the question though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stewart said:

Just FYI, while you're going for upper bounds, with $330m+ happening domestic and the holidays coming for China, your upper bounds are more like $900m domestic and $650m China. 

So just $1250m for the rest, which is scarily possible 😕

Personally don't mind either way if Avatar eventually get's taken down. Either way it's free advertising for Avatar 2 and gives JC a bigger target to aim for. $3B is out of the question though.

for endgame I hope you mean

• Like 2

Just now, Stewart said:

Well of course. 

We know nothing about Avatar 2 really at the moment, so can't realistically put any estimate on hit, high or low.

I can realistically say that 3 billies is done and dusted 😎

• Like 2