grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

I'm actually sad about this Muppets number (evem if the movie itself seems to be not as nice as the last one). The Muppets always stood for friendly, non-cynical stories, something that I find missing in much of today's productions.

And the humor is always silly and corny, which I like
  • Like 1

You could say the same for just about anything really, "it's a film get over it", "it's sport get over it", "it's music get over it".

It's one thing to intelligently discuss a film/sport/music, it's another to just endlessly gush about it. Not that different from certain superhero fanboys.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Not all animations are kids/family friendly.

In the mainstream basically all animations actually are kids/family friendly. Sadly they get all the attention and money, there's no place for "grownup" cartoons.

It's one thing to intelligently discuss a film/sport/music, it's another to just endlessly gush about it. Not that different from certain superhero fanboys.

I agree, but why get pissy about it? It's not that hard to ignore and it won't be forever, unlike NFL or superhero stuff.
  • Like 1

Actually, if someone could explain to me why NFL is so popular it would be much appreciated. I'm not interested in sport at all, but I can see why rugby and soccer are popular, they're fast games with lots going on. I tried watching an NFL game in Hawaii and it was duller than I had expected. Nothing happens and then when it does they just stop playing. A lot of time was spent standing around.

Edited by lab276

Actually, if someone could explain to me why NFL is so popular it would be much appreciated. I'm not interested in sport at all, but I can see why rugby and soccer are popular, they're fast games with lots going on. I tried watching an NFL game in Hawaii and it was duller than I had expected. Nothing happens and then when it does they just stop playing. A lot of time was spent standing around.

It's not that the NFL is as popular, it's that the Super Bowl is the biggest event of the year.  I'm a huge NFL fan but most causal fans don't care about the regular season but once the playoffs role around everyone is watching.  Then once the Super Bowl comes around it shuts everything down.  I love Futbol (Soccar) and worldwide I know it's more popular than the NFL but nothing can top the popularity of the Super Bowl.  Just look at the box office during Super Bowl Sunday.  There's a reason movies underperform that weekend. 

Edited by filmscholar

So what I'm getting from these Friday numbers is that Deadline.com thinks that Divergent's 24 million dollar Thursday night/Friday is going to lead to a 55 million dollar weekend, but most other people believe Divergent will do decent Saturday night business with males/other groups than just fans and that it will end up with a 60 million dollar weekend.  Is this basically accurate?

It's not that the NFL is as popular, it's that the Super Bowl is the biggest event of the year.  I'm a huge NFL fan but most causal fans don't care about the regular season but once the playoffs role around everyone is watching.  Then once the Super Bowl comes around it shuts everything down.  I love Futbol (Soccar) and worldwide I know it's more popular than the NFL but nothing can top the popularity of the Super Bowl.  Just look at the box office during Super Bowl Sunday.  There's a reason movies underperform that weekend.

If the Super Bowl is like a regular game and people watch it for the game then I still don't get it.

One word.

GAMBLING

I missed reading even Halba's posts, but yours? Nope. What does deep mean? Seriously. What's powerful for someone might be meaningless for the other. Catching Fire dealt and tackled issues such as the growing disparity between rich and poor, hope, desire for control, sacrifice, corruption, unreliable media, propaganda, and trust....very well. If only more movies were like Catching Fire. Does a person have to look out their window to stare at a darkening sky while contemplating the meaning of their life to be deep? Or maybe to drive an old truck down an empty road as the sun sets? Possibly a woman shrieking hysterically holding a broken Vodka bottle in her hand as her husband walks out the door to leave her?If you don't like the YA franchises, then don't watch them. I'm glad for franchises like Potter and the Hunger Games...they're quality series that pay attention to characters and plot more than visuals, and have resonated deeply among people worldwide because they have a story and message to talk about the human state. You're just generalizing and being a complete prat just for the sake of trying to seem smarter. When in reality, it shows us nothing but how insecure you are. IMO.

LMAO.Noctis being the snarky advocate of YA material like he was always meant to be. One has to think it's a nasty inferiority complex that is driving the proceedings at hand here. You may not have missed me, but I sure missed you. Not many on this board take me on and fail in such epic fashion, after all.In all honesty, did you not read my post in which I said I was just fucking around? You may have just embarrassed yourself, but I still love ya Noctis.IMO.

T hat kind of fratboyish mentality is part of the problem. Two men kissing is super sexy too. I can see the hotness of two guys kissing and two girls kissing equally, but I bet you find two men kissing yucky due to societal constructs that are thoroughly ingrained in your head.

Social constructs have nothing to do with it, lol!

Either you're turned on or turned off by something.  You don't sit and try to smugly intellectualize while your body parts are telling you, "that's sexy as heck" or "God, that's gross."

Two women kissing is only a turn-on if the girls are good looking, imo.  For example, if it's Claire Holt and Adelaide Kane kissing, that would be well worth worth watching.  If it's Ellen Page and Lena Dunham, I would vomit.  And two guys kissing is disgusting and abhorrent no matter what they look like, again, imo.  Everyone has different physical triggers.  None are right or wrong, and none are influenced by "society," they're just how a particular person is wired. 

• Like 2

Social constructs have nothing to do with it, lol! Either you're turned on or turned off by something.  You don't sit and try to smugly intellectualize while your body parts are telling you, "that's sexy as heck" or "God, that's gross." Two women kissing is only a turn-on if the girls are good looking, imo.  For example, if it's Claire Holt and Adelaide Kane kissing, that would be well worth worth watching.  If it's Ellen Page and Lena Dunham, I would vomit.  And two guys kissing is disgusting and abhorrent no matter what they look like, again, imo.  Everyone has different physical triggers.  None are right or wrong, and none are influenced by "society," they're just how a particular person is wired.

It's not just a turn off though, it's "disgusting", "abhorrent" or "vomit inducing". There's a problem when something benign is seen in those terms.