grim22

Weekend #s on Pg 34. Divergent 56M. Muppets 16.5M. Peabody 11.7M, 302 8.6M, Gods not dead 8.5M

This was the only thing I could find about it.

http://www.thewrap.com/divergent-tracking-50-million-box-office-opening/

"It has an $85 million production budget and marketing will likely run another $40 million, but pre-sales of foreign rights have already brought in roughly $65 million."

That $40 million marketing budget seems a bit low.  Wonder where they pulled that number out of..

If these numbers are correct then we're looking at a $125million total cost and they start making their money back after about $250 million in boxoffice receipts.  Various distribution deals as the article suggests mean they are already well on their way.

That $40 million marketing budget seems a bit low.  Wonder where they pulled that number out of..

If these numbers are correct then we're looking at a $125million total cost and they start making their money back after about $250 million in boxoffice receipts.  Various distribution deals as the article suggests mean they are already well on their way.

Actually we are looking only at only $60 million total cost once pre-sales are counted. So they only need 120M in box office from non pre-sold territories which they should achieve easily.

Actually we are looking only at only $60 million total cost once pre-sales are counted. So they only need 120M in box office from non pre-sold territories which they should achieve easily.

Ah ok, thanks.

Pretty much guarantees all 3 movies in the series will get the light of day.

The more I think about it, the idea of pre-selling international rights on a film like Divergent seems super smart. If you're trying to start a franchise and minimize risk, it's super keen, but when you consider most new franchises have pretty lackluster OS grosses, and it's only when the sequels hit that things go gangbusters, a studio can really reap the rewards big time if they keep the rights for the second go-round.

• Like 3

The more I think about it, the idea of pre-selling international rights on a film like Divergent seems super smart. If you're trying to start a franchise and minimize risk, it's super keen, but when you consider most new franchises have pretty lackluster OS grosses, and it's only when the sequels hit that things go gangbusters, a studio can really reap the rewards big time if they keep the rights for the second go-round.

LGF has done a very smart job by employing a.) International presales strategy that reduces their exposure to almost nothing, b.) by buying packaged titles with big name stars for domestic distribution and c.) by their genre strategy and targeting key demos like Hispanics and African-American audiences. This is why they have been able to compete with the big boys while so many other studios/distributors have bitten the dust.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

LGF has done a very smart job by employing a.) International presales strategy that reduces their exposure to almost nothing, b.) by buying packaged titles with big name stars for domestic distribution and c.) by their genre strategy and targeting key demos like Hispanics and African-American audiences. This is why they have been able to compete with the big boys while so many other studios/distributors have bitten the dust.

Haven't they been bigger than FOX for the past three years? I mean, yeah, Hunger Games, but still.

The combined Fri-Sun opening weekend gross of The Host, Beautiful Creatures, Mortal Instruments and Vampire Academy is 31.3M. Safe to say Divergent will probably open at least 20M above the combined openings for those 4 films. Shows what a concentrated marketing campaign, release date and positioning can do (Lionsgate pushed the "Divergent needs to be big for the future of YA adaptations" angle really hard).

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

Lionsgate doesn't have a international distribution arm apart from Lionsgate UK hence why they have to presell the international rights, Summit did the same with local distributors like eOne as did New Line before they got absorbed into Warner Bros. 

• Like 1

Okay, this is an odd observation, but I think Woodley is really, really attractive in the Fault in Our Stars trailer... but while watching clips of Divergent she looks very blah. Kinda reminds me of what happened back when I was crushing on J-Law - she was okay looking in THG but when SLP came out... WOW