CJohn

Toy Story 4 | June 20, 2019 | 6th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

It actually is though. This is the definition of that kind of situation. All that happened is they announced they were going to make a movie. It might be an excellent movie. It could be a bad movie. But people are reacting like they already saw the movie and it's the most horrible thing ever. It is entertaining because nothing good or bad has happened yet.

No, it isn't. In the case of a movie that had a perfect ending such as TS3, I really don't believe there is any reason other than a cash grab to make another one. You can say "well that is just business" but fuck that. We're not the bigwigs making the call, we're the fans who loved the original works and supported it. If, from a storytelling point of view it doesn't make sense to make a sequel, I think its our right to be unhappy with that decision.

I'll tell you what, if TS4 ends up not being related to the first three in any way at all story wise, I'll take back everything I've said.

• Like 8

It actually is though. This is the definition of that kind of situation. All that happened is they announced they were going to make a movie. It might be an excellent movie. It could be a bad movie. But people are reacting like they already saw the movie and it's the most horrible thing ever. It is entertaining because nothing good or bad has happened yet.

It's bad just inherently that the great sense of finality that Toy Story 3 has is utterly gone forever now

• Like 5

No, it isn't. In the case of a movie that had a perfect ending such as TS3, I really don't believe there is any reason other than a cash grab to make another one. You can say "well that is just business" but fuck that. We're not the bigwigs making the call, we're the fans who loved the original works and supported it. If, from a storytelling point of view it doesn't make sense to make a sequel, I think its our right to be unhappy with that decision.

I'll tell you what, if TS4 ends up not being related to the first three in any way at all story wise, I'll take back everything I've said.

So Disney cares about sour grapes on Box office forums or 1 billion dollars WW box office? 

• Like 5

It's not like it's Terminator 2 where making another one kills the whole ending of the movie. TS3 didn't end in a way that a 4th one will destroy what happened in 3. The movie with the perfect ending was Return of the Jedi. Everything was wrapped up perfectly. Yet, they are making a sequel to that movie.

I'm not telling you to not be unhappy about a TS4. You feel the way that you do and you are entitled to. I just find the extreme vitriol that multiple people are expressing to be entertaining.

• Like 3

It's not like it's Terminator 2 where making another one kills the whole ending of the movie. TS3 didn't end in a way that a 4th one will destroy what happened in 3. The movie with the perfect ending was Return of the Jedi. Everything was wrapped up perfectly. Yet, they are making a sequel to that movie.

I'm not telling you to not be unhappy about a TS4. You feel the way that you do and you are entitled to. I just find the extreme vitriol that multiple people are expressing to be entertaining.

Actually, yes. That's exactly it. Or not really. I guess it more completely defeats the point of the entire franchise. The filmmakers have said on multiple occasions the... well, story of the Toy Story movies is Andy's life seen through his toys' eyes. There's no way they will have Andy in this movie unless they want to make it super convoluted. So inherently, a Toy Story 4 does betray the original intent of this franchise

• Like 2

Newsflash: ALL films are cash-grabs one way or another. It is ALWAYS the sole purpose of why a film is made... So the people making the film can go home and put food on their plates every night. It is business, it's the sole purpose of business. Working hard on a job that is most likely a thing you are passionate about so you can provide a decent income for yourself and your family to live normal lives. I'm sorry but... It IS business.
  • Like 1

Newsflash: ALL films are cash-grabs one way or another. It is ALWAYS the sole purpose of why a film is made... So the people making the film can go home and put food on their plates every night. It is business, it's the sole purpose of business. Working hard on a job that is most likely a thing you are passionate about so you can provide a decent income for yourself and your family to live normal lives. I'm sorry but... It IS business.

I'm pretty sure literally any Pixar sequel would be preferred to this.

I would've taken a sequel to Ratatouille, WALL-E, or Up over Toy Story 4 anyday. None of those should have sequels IMO, but I'd infinitely prefer it to film's best trilogy being sullied by an unnecessary fourth movie

What happens if it's as good as the other three.

• Like 1

Don't give me that shit. Of course its a business, I never denied that. Being film fans though I figured for once we could look at the quality side of things. 

But whatever, maybe it'll end up good. I sure fucking hope so. 

• Like 1

I expect it to be, but I still think this is highly unnecessary and I don't like that it is being made. TS3 was a perfect ending to the greatest trilogy of all-time and they didn't need to make anymore movies. 

• Like 3

I will seriously be more than happy to eat every goddamn bit of crow I just ordered then. I'm serious. If this movie ends up being the tits then that is just seriously awesome.

I have doubts though if you can't tell.

• Like 1

No, their last few films were not critical disappointments (though Cars 2 is spot-on). Both Brave and Monsters University were certified fresh and had RT scores in the mid-to-high seventies.

The Lone Ranger is a critical disappointment, The Transformers sequels are critical disappointments, The Matrix 3 is a critical disappointment, but not Brave and MU. Personally, Cars 2, so far, is their only real fuck-up.

Definitely not a major disappointment realistically I'll admit, but for a studio that prior to June 2011 had an incredible (no pun intended) run of ten of eleven films rated above 90% on RottenTomatoes, a couple of mid-to-upper 70% films (and Cars 2) in a row has to be a little bit disappointing for them.

As for Toy Story 4, I'm not sure what to think. I have a feeling it will be more of a side story, which I would be fine with.

EDIT: Not sure what happened to my post here.

Edited by Sir Tiki

Even if it gets a 100% on RT, if the movie isn't about Andy in some way, it will betray the whole point of the franchise and be utterly terrible in my eyes

Seriously? I think Andy ought to be completely out of the picture. If you want to maintain that sense of finality in TS3, it really should be the end of the "Andy" era. Bonnie is their Andy now.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Seriously? I have to imagine Andy's going to be completely out of the picture. If you want to maintain that sense of finality in TS3, it really should be the end of the "Andy" era. Bonnie is their Andy now.

I agree with you. However, the filmmakers have stated multiple times, from before Toy Story 2's release to the debut of Toy Story of Terror that the intent of the Toy Story movies is to tell the story of Andy. That's what the shorts and specials were for: to tell the story of Bonnie.

Okay so after calming down and reading the article I do see that apparently the entire Pixar braintrust had involvement with the story. That is good.

I seriously still don't know where they could go from there though. And, I mean, seriously how many good fourth movies are there that have come after three consistently good ones?

I agree with you. However, the filmmakers have stated multiple times, from before Toy Story 2's release to the debut of Toy Story of Terror that the intent of the Toy Story movies is to tell the story of Andy. That's what the shorts and specials were for: to tell the story of Bonnie.

Well, as has been evidenced before, opinions can change. I think imagining the toys as immortal souls moving from owner to owner is kind of endearing as well (and franchise-friendly).