Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

He has nothing on Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter

Don't worry, it will be featured in the next Martian trailer.

(Yeah, Scorcese is a big Stones fanboy and shoehorns them anywhere he can, it has become a private joke ^_^ However, I liked his use of Derek & The Dominos 'Layla' in Goodfellas, poor Morrie)

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

I don't see this doing less than Interstellar. It seems much more engaging and action-savvy for general audience.

True.

But Nolanites. Their Powah.

Also, every shot from the trailer of The Martian seems to be cut from a movie everybody saw already, been there, done that kind of feeling.

Déjà Vu.

But GA loves to be in their comfort zone so ... yeah this movie has a lot going for it to break out.

The movie looks amazing (Ridley Scott doesn't know how to make an ugly movie), great cast and the story seems to be very engaging, thrilling & funny.

Edited by The Futurist

Whether or not it does do more or less than Interstellar, it looks like it should be continuing a nice trend of a non-franchise sci-if film's being hits in the fall. Gravity, Interstellar, now this.

I don't see this doing less than Interstellar. It seems much more engaging and action-savvy for general audience.

The Martian surpassing Interstellar fully depends on my league of Nolanites supporting this film and going to see this 5 times +.

We support the cast.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

The Martian surpassing Interstellar fully depends on my league of Nolanites supporting this film and going to see this 5 times +.

We support the cast.  :ph34r:

It also depends on the legs. After all, not every film can have the amazing WOM that Nolan's films tend to get. :)

It also depends on the legs. After all, not every film can have the amazing WOM that Nolan's films tend to get. :)

Interstellar did face off against Hunger Games but then Thanksgiving and early December helped power it to a near 4x multiplier. It was funny in hindsight that we weren't sure it'd be Prometheus after opening weekend, but it managed to do well beyond the admittedly meh OW.

The Martian will have things going for it, but sprouting a 4x multiplier in October isn't that easy, and I think this October is more crowded than last October in terms of prestige appeal that might eat away at it a bit. Depending on the quality, Bridge of Spies and Steve Jobs can do some damage to the Martian. But then again, Captain Phillips didn't seem to phase Gravity. 

Really, I'm supporting the movie. But even 150m will be a big success for the Martian, so we shouldn't get too ahead of ourelves.

Interstellar did face off against Hunger Games but then Thanksgiving and early December helped power it to a near 4x multiplier. It was funny in hindsight that we weren't sure it'd be Prometheus after opening weekend, but it managed to do well beyond the admittedly meh OW.

The Martian will have things going for it, but sprouting a 4x multiplier in October isn't that easy, and I think this October is more crowded than last October in terms of prestige appeal that might eat away at it a bit. Depending on the quality, Bridge of Spies and Steve Jobs can do some damage to the Martian. But then again, Captain Phillips didn't seem to phase Gravity.

Really, I'm supporting the movie. But even 150m will be a big success for the Martian, so we shouldn't get too ahead of ourelves.

You can't forget The Walk either

Yup, I don't think people should get ahead of themselves. As long as The Martian makes around 140 to 150m domestically, it'll be fine.

You can't forget The Walk either

I didn't, but I don't think that one is gonna do all that well. However, Sony seems to have confidence in it by releasing it early in IMAX, so if WOM spreads, yes that can hurt too.