Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Kingdom of Heaven DC is Scott's greatest film.  

It's watchable and even makes sense (compared tot the theatrical cut) but I'd say Alien, Blade Runner and T&L are his "greatest" films (just my taste, of course); KoH is just the best film of his "later" body of work.

I'm really looking forward to The Martian because Scott is still one of the visually most impressive directors working, and The Martian is such a simple story I guess he wasn't able to muddle it.

Yeah I dug this a lot. Nothing groundbreaking (although it's bracing to see a big movie that, no matter exactly how accurate it is, puts such a resounding emphasis on characters relying on science and rational thought), but it's a solid story told very, very well. The first Scott I liked since Kingdom of Heaven DC.

Seems to me that FOX is pushing 3D hard all around the world. I don't remember the last time a movie had so many 3D shows over here with no 2D options.

Probably trying to make more money like Avatar with emphasis on 3D ticket sales.

Seems to me that FOX is pushing 3D hard all around the world. I don't remember the last time a movie had so many 3D shows over here with no 2D options. 

Probably a combo of reasons:

1. They want to beat Gravity.

2. They don't have many (if any) PLF screens because of The Walk.

3. They need to recoup money lost by FANT4STIC.

• Like 2

Yeah, most cinemas here have more 3D shows than usual.

At my cinema we stopped showing 3D Martian yesterday, only in 2D now.

Probably a combo of reasons:

1. They want to beat Gravity.

2. They don't have many (if any) PLF screens because of The Walk.

3. They need to recoup money lost by FANT4STIC.

And The Walk is bombing, which sucks.

2001 > all of them combined

I think 2001 is overrated. Its got some great shots and concepts, but its ponderous as hell. And while I agree that its an important film, its way to tedious and self indulgent to be a great one.

Edit - The 3D love must vary from place to place. By me, almost all the showings are 2D and The Walk has all the PLF screens.

Edited by Wrath

Really don't understand why they're pushing the 3D screenings so hard.  Although it looks spectacular, this isn't a visually driven movie like Gravity.

I refuse to watch movies in 3D. If 3D is the only way to see a movie in theaters around me, they can suck it.

• Like 1