grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

22 minutes ago, roxas11 said:

It's a joke because nobody in their right mind should take this map seriously lol

5e48d3ba21ca438d919150796a75d4f1?impolic

Let's just be honest about this, the map is ridiculous and is obviously not meant to be realistic at all. I don't for 1 second think that the people who made this map was thinking about the Geopolitics of Asia. frankly If WB knew this silly map would be such an issue, they probably would not have even had the scene in the movie in the first place and It definitely would have not been in their trailers if they thought it was going to cause them some PR problems

This can't seriously be the map causing issues, right? Where even is the offending line on this map? That squiggle east of that fictional Asian landmass? That looks nothing like the real nine-dash line. It's not even 9 dashes and looks more like navigational route markers. You can see another similar line near what looks like Greenland. Makes me think there has to be another map in the movie that we are not aware of.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

That would be my last post regarding this thing as not to derail the thread. I wish WB all the best. 😂

To be clear you were not derailing the thread at all Beauce you brought up an issue that very well could effect the film's box-office. 

As silly as I'm may personally think the controversy over the map is there is no question that this will still have an impact on the film's box-office and there is nothing wrong with you, bringing that fact up no matter how much I may not like it lol

I guess We will just have to wait and see how big of an impact this will have on the film overall box office in the end

Edited by roxas11
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

This can't seriously be the map causing issues, right? Where even is the offending line on this map? That squiggle east of that fictional Asian landmass? That looks nothing like the real nine-dash line. It's not even 9 dashes and looks more like navigational route markers. You can see another similar line near what looks like Greenland. Makes me think there has to be another map in the movie that we are not aware of.

The map that is in the trailer is utterly ridiculous and not remotely realistic, but as you said maybe there is another map in the film that we don't know about yet because that is the only way this controversy makes any sense to me at all

Edited by roxas11

12 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Would it piss off conservatives if the marketing campaign embraced this? “This Barbie is banned in the Middle East”, “this Barbie is banned in SEA” ? Maybe there’s a reason I don’t work in marketing lol

Yes it would. Conflict marketing only works for small products that only need a niche target audiences. It's already confusing on whether the film is appropriate for kids partiatly from the marketing having different tones from Mattel vs the talent involved.

9 hours ago, roxas11 said:

It amazes me how seriously they are talking a map that literally looks like it was made by a child lol

It would be one thing if they were trying to make an accurate map, but clearly this map is not meant to be taken seriously at all, especially since it was created by a character who obviously knows very little about the outside world. I have to believe that these politicians who are attacking the film over this deep down know full well just how silly this controversy really is

While the map is absurd, the issue is not, and it begs the question why would an artist deliberately include an artificial feature that only exist in 1 countries political policy. We also don't know this is the only map. It could be a 1 off joke, but really it's a better joke if it's a set up for her seing the real world map further into the movie.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I be like wow. I have read articles earlier about Vietnamese films getting bankruptcy because production cost exceeding 1 billion VND. Gotta not point out fingers on Vietnamese Film Industry but really loved "Bố già" and also thanks for the analysis!

Being vietnamese, i cant stand vietnamese films or shows. 

But the one most infamous vase of producers losing money on their films was actually very similar to how TLM is losing money now.

They took the most beloved comic series in vietnam which illustrates and serialises folk tales and totally butchered it turning it into action movie, they even sued the original creator lol. The public got so pissed haha.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dbui8743 said:

Being vietnamese, i cant stand vietnamese films or shows. 

But the one most infamous vase of producers losing money on their films was actually very similar to how TLM is losing money now.

They took the most beloved comic series in vietnam which illustrates and serialises folk tales and totally butchered it turning it into action movie, they even sued the original creator lol. The public got so pissed haha.

What's the name of the series? I love folk lore 

Someone can explain me where they see what should be in the real map?

As the image under shows Asia in on the other side in this Barbie Map. So the one behind Barbie is not asia. Also where are the Philippines).

If that is Asia, Africa is under, the one yellow is Europe (?) the one behind barbie should be like an interpretation of America. 

It's totally non sense 😅

barbie-movie-banned-in-vietnam-because-o

Edited by vale9001

11 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

— Snip —

At first, I don't think this image is in question. It could be a different one. Like DreamWorks Animation "Abominable" was banned because of this scene -

5da58397cc4a0a09d461c913.jpg

And "Uncharted" - 

n2m9a286c2n81.jpg

"9-dash line" is quite distinct in these films. Anyways, I don't it's worthy to go in circle with this discussion. No one has seen the film and if it's getting banned in Philippines we will know from MTRCB later. Malaysia Censors (LPF) are so far not considering ban.

We will know what's scene is affecting only once we all get to watch the film.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Tbh I don’t know why studios include map scenes in movies, they’re almost always going to be controversial and annoy someone.

I think this time it was on purpose. They want that China money