grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

i can see a nomination, but i just don't see how he beats what might be the last time they can ever award arguably the greatest living American actor with De Niro

Eh Last Time Ever didn't work out for Boseman did it? ABC even rescheduled Best Actor to be the last win of the night instead of Picture.

If they like Gosling best they'll award Gosling last time ever for another actor (who is awarded already) or not. 

46 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

This is a wild thing to say right after reviews destroyed the hype for The Flash and Indiana Jones. Meanwhile Spiderverse is killing it. GoG3 is doing well. Going to the movies is expensive. For tentpoles now, good reviews are needed to maintain legs / overperform. Good reviews are the difference between many average movie goers watching it in theaters or choosing to wait for streaming.

Reviews absolutely still matter.

We have absolutely 0 way of knowing this. Flash and Indy both had very limited audiences and did not appeal to all quadrants. In fact, early wom from Flash screenings (however fake that was) was extremely positive, which didn’t help at all. Spider Verse was the follow up to one of the most beloved animated movies of the past years, it was always going to open huge. Gotg 3 opened relatively tepidly (compared to its predecessor) despite the good reviews, then had good legs because the quality was good (which is correlated  with good reviews). No offense but I really feel like all these examples prove my point. 

Edited by Dephira

50 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

This is a wild thing to say right after reviews destroyed the hype for The Flash and Indiana Jones. Meanwhile Spiderverse is killing it. GoG3 is doing well. Going to the movies is expensive. For tentpoles now, good reviews are needed to maintain legs / overperform. Good reviews are the difference between many average movie goers watching it in theaters or choosing to wait for streaming.

Reviews absolutely still matter.

world of mouth cause critics were right and they are better movies? Do you really think indiana jones opened with 55M because of reviews, with a decent 75 on metacritic instead of 58 he would have opened over 100M+ like it should have made?. People didn't care about the movie and also they didn't like that much. 

also the flash has a 64% o RT. It's not even rotten. Some people act like it got a 30% like venom (860M WW 😅)

Edited by vale9001

50 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

RT critic / HCA member 

i understood in the past bad opinions about the mood, the dialogues in the clips etc... never understoond how people can't see even in the trailer  costumes, sets, production design are just high cinema, from the concept to the realization.

I'm glad critics are saying from a visual point of view is a mesmerizing movie. 

About the Oscars. A nomination for Best Picture won't happen cause 1)  it's a comedy 2) too much Mattel references and brands in the movie. I know Top Gun 2 was nominated and it's a branded movie for the United States Navy but it's less explicit 🤣

Edited by vale9001

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I desperately need the Oscars this year to open with Jack Black ("Peaches") and Gosling ("Just Ken") performing their Best Original Song nominees. Now that's how you kick off a ceremony!

Gosling wimped out on performing City of Stars when it got nominated and it's not like that was a vocally challenging song.  From that Ken clip, either he's gotten singing lessons, there's more advanced Autotune at work, or he's tapped back into his Mickey Mouse Club days.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

10 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

world of mouth cause critics were right and they are better movies? Do you really think indiana jones opened with 55M because of reviews, with a decent 75 on metacritic instead of 58 he would have opened over 100M+ like it should have made?. People didn't care about the movie and also they didn't like that much. 

also the flash has a 64% o RT. It's not even rotten. Some people act like it got a 30% like venom (860M WW 😅)

Indiana Jones was rotten for a whole month after it premiered at Cannes until more reviews bumped up the score. It sat with bad buzz for a full month. Of course that would hurt a movie's OW.

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I desperately need the Oscars this year to open with Jack Black ("Peaches") and Gosling ("Just Ken") performing their Best Original Song nominees. Now that's how you kick off a ceremony!

If the Best Original Song battle isn't between those two, hang it up.

46 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Gosling wimped out on performing City of Stars when it got nominated and it's not like that was a vocally challenging song.  From that Ken clip, either he's gotten singing lessons, there's more advanced Autotune at work, or he's tapped back into his Mickey Mouse Club days.

yeah he's just incredibly fun to me and performance over the voice all of the time in such a thing, but i really doubt he can perform this song live 🤣

but a kenplayback is ok too 😁

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Early reactions are promising, though it’s hard to know for sure until reviews arrive. I suspect RT will be certified fresh, which I think is all it needs at minimum to really explode at the box office.

More than that, though, what I’m reading is promising for me actually liking the film. I’m hoping it will become a comedy classic with a high rewatchability factor.

I’m excited to do a double feature with Barbenheimer. Genuinely looking forward to both films, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a weekend like this where I’m eagerly anticipating two major openers on the same weekend.

Peace,

Mike 

• Like 3