grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

21 minutes ago, joselowe said:

There were kids in my screening, and I actually don’t think it was as bad as I was expecting. I don’t even really remember that much cussing in the film only a few light sex jokes but it wasn’t vile or anything parents would be offended by.

It’s not at all about offensiveness (it’s fine), just the mature themes especially in the second half. A lot of younger kids will be bored or confused.

Just now, Redolent said:

It’s not at all about offensiveness (it’s fine), just the mature themes especially in the second half. A lot of younger kids will be bored or confused.

we'll find out when my baby sister and other kids their age return from the show with my teen sisters and their friends. They are doing Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves watch first (means older sisters bringing younger ones with them). So we'll know how kids reacted.

• Like 1

I was not able to follow up on my post about this.

This was a unique experience. I felt the movie was like a stage play with all the sets, props, and singing performances.

I know people say Gosling steals the show, which is probably true. His acting range is insane. But I have to give props to Robbie for an amazing performance. America Ferrera was great as well.

I was surprised by how good this was. Gerwig was able to strike a balance here. I didn't think this was heavily preachy at all. In fact, I think every one should watch this and reflect on their own struggles.

I don't understand people calling movies like this woke and paint it like it's a bad thing. Like wtf, the themes and lessons here are reflected in real life. That's reality. And maybe some are just angry about this depiction because they can't handle the truth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My audience fucking loved it so much. Half the theatre (including me lol) wore pink. Most people were under 21 and a lot under 18 too. Cheers at literally every line. felt like I was in the No Way Home movie theatre lol. One of the most fun theatre experiences I've ever had since it felt so collective and that was so great for me.

I liked the movie a lot, the comedy is fucking great, everyone was laughing really hard, and while I think some narrative stuff in the second half doesn't work, it was so so fun!!

• Like 2

Saw Barbie too it was great, and @kayumanggi your are right is not preachy as some people said it was more like true, people saying the movie is woke are gonna redifine the term to mean people in real life. Because be sure that even conservative women are gonna agree with the movie. 

Is more a message of kinda, people you are kennough. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I was not able to follow up on my post about this.

This was a unique experience. I felt the movie was like a stage play with all the sets, props, and singing performances.

I know people say Gosling steals the show, which is probably true. His acting range is insane. But I have to give props to Robbie for an amazing performance. America Ferrera was great as well.

I was surprised by how good this was. Gerwig was able to strike a balance here. I didn't think this was heavily preachy at all. In fact, I think every one should watch this and reflect on their own struggles.

I don't understand people calling movies like this woke and paint it like it's a bad thing. Like wtf, the themes and lessons here are reflected in real life. That's reality. And maybe some are just angry about this depiction because they can't handle the truth.

It;s called, bigotry, and you had better wake up to the fact there are a lot of bigots out there.

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Some of the reviews im seeing make me wonder if this is fun-fun or film-studies-major fun 

It’s Bridesmaids and Mean Girls level funny, if that helps. 

People saying it won’t appeal to kids: it’ll appeal to kids even with the social and feminist commentary flying over the heads. But then, those same kids will enjoy it even more when they see it again in the future. 

A classic is born. 

I felt like clapping after one particular monologue and someone did actually Whoop. 

It’s also not “man hating” at all. I think people are misunderstanding the whole aspect of Ken and his own arc. Because they haven’t seen the film. 

It’s spectacular. 

• Like 2

This was just unbelievably lovely. Amazing visual design, top-shelf performances from a huge cast where everyone understands the assignment to a T, lots of meta humor and commentary that enhance the themes rather than detracting from them, and oh, just, so many moments where I sat there with my eyes welling up at the nuanced emotions Greta Gerwig works like a pro. This deserves every cent it will make and probably more.

• Like 2

This is totally safe for kids. An attempt at cursing had

Mattel over the lips

which brought the house down. No mature situations either. My little sister loved it, wants to wear what Barbie wore. 

I thought it was terrific though Mattel folks and mother and daughter (terrible teen actress) dock it a point. I thought that daughter was unnecessary cause everything could have been achieved with just America. Mattel folk contributed nothing except

that small step forward when they accepted Ferrera (forgot the name)'s idea which echo'd in a small step in barbieworld where Kens got low level jobs that weren't just beach

The movie lampoons everything including inspirational speeches. It's also balanced and upon exit quite a few ladies commented how sweet the message was 

about Ken

Margot is terrific showing terrific range but it's Gosling who absolutely blows minds 

especially in Kendom portion of the movie

Simu Liu was surprisngly good in a small antagonist role and maybe playing a baddie suits him better than heroic roles. Kate McKinnon was great too. America Ferrera had nothing of substance to do beside that one monologue, Will Ferrell played Will Ferrell villain, Michael Cera was great as Allan.

When you get to the end you realzie the movie is actually

Pinocchio and blue-wearing Ruth Handler the Blue Fairy

Aside Gosling and Margot the big star is attention to detail. Gerwig directs the shit out of this, the way she brings Barbieworld and variations to life is incredible.

This will make barbillion cause reception is fantastic. people coming in pink, gushing about the movie's depth. 

Awards prospect:

Picture

Director

Script

Actress

Supporting Actor

Producton design

Costume and makeup

Song

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1