grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

No one is being mistreated or bullied like wtf.

I said some people are overly defensive when people discuss the movie getting a poor reception. It is a possibility. Nobody here is rooting for it to fail. Jeff Sneider or Wells or whoever is not some hateful loser because he heard mixed things about Barbie? Maybe they DID hear mixed things about Barbie? For the record Ruimy seems to love Margot Robbie and has always been supportive of her. He clearly rooted for Babylon and was disappointed it didn't do well. Acting like he wants Barbie to fail is weird.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There will be screenings after July 18 for sure, maybe not just booked yet. 

Freelancers are pissed because they sell their reviews unlike someone like David Ehrlich that always write for IndieWire, when freelancers have to choose 1 out of 2 big movies to watch, it mess up their possibility of sell reviews for both, it’s a very reasonable complain.

But in the bigger picture i doubt it will matter that much for the movie itself. Probably we’ll have the big outlets and bigger critics from LA and NY dropping reviews on July 13 and then some calm before another wave on July 18 and beyond. 

Is definitely petty of WB tho, these Oppenheimer screenings was booked weeks ago, WB booked then yesterday. Since Barbie is the bigger movie from a commercial perspective, they’re basically forcing these freelancers and smaller critics to choose Barbie first or even cancel their Oppenheimer screenings in attempt to steal some thunder from the latter. They’re taking the online feud to the real world.

Kinda insane they’re doing this after Zaslav said they want Nolan back lol 

After Zaslav got GQ to take down a negative story about him, nothing would surprise me anymore. 

• Like 1

are the previews at the same time or just same day?

i remember an user here wrote they would have been at a different time during the day, and it's not the first time 2 movies with a same release date have a same day preview.

also i don't know who decided it first but since clearly Oppenhaimer is the weakest movie here (in terms of mediatic attention) why they just don't postpone of one day?. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

WB may be petty with that Jul 18 stunt but Oppenheimer isn't some poor underdog that won't be fine if more freelancers choose Barbie. Both movies are set to open big. That train cannot be stopped. 

In the case of the weekend of 7/21 it literally is!  Barbie could double it's opening weekend lol.

19 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

are the previews at the same time or just same day?

i remember an user here wrote they would have been at a different time during the day, and it's not the first time 2 movies with a same release date have a same day preview.

also i don't know who decided it first but since clearly Oppenhaimer is the weakest movie here (in terms of mediatic attention) why they just don't postpone of one day?. 

Some of them are same day/same time I think.

Depending on who RSVP'd and such in advance, can see why it would be a hassle to postpone and reschedule stuff. Think the people who ultimately suffer are just the freelancers who have to choose in the end, not either movie.

10 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

In the case of the weekend of 7/21 it literally is!  Barbie could double it's opening weekend lol.

that doesn't make a big studio movie with a massive marketing push in its own right an underdog. The point is that Barbie isn't tanking some little movie that could until big bad Barbie took the same press screening date. It's studio movie vs studio movie. One studio got smarter this time.

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, MotionPictured said:

No one is being mistreated or bullied like wtf.

I said some people are overly defensive when people discuss the movie getting a poor reception. It is a possibility. Nobody here is rooting for it to fail. Jeff Sneider or Wells or whoever is not some hateful loser because he heard mixed things about Barbie? Maybe they DID hear mixed things about Barbie? For the record Ruimy seems to love Margot Robbie and has always been supportive of her. He clearly rooted for Babylon and was disappointed it didn't do well. Acting like he wants Barbie to fail is weird.

Newcomer to this thread: “I’m not really enjoying the humor in the hew trailer. Not sure if all audiences will appreciate it.”

Barbie army: “What, how can you possibly say such a thing? The humor is obviously designed with exquisite campiness, cutting across all generational, class and ethnic divides, bridging gaps that were once thought impenetrable. It’s an absolute winner. Please rethink your taste. The problem with men like you is that you only watch MCU /DC and you underestimate the power of women and gays. Not everything has to be appeal to you. This movie will prove you wrong. The writing is on the wall - Barbillion forever.”

• Like 1
  • Heart 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Redolent said:

Newcomer to this thread: “I’m not really enjoying the humor in the hew trailer. Not sure if all audiences will appreciate it.”

Barbie army: “What, how can you possibly say such a thing? The humor is obviously designed with exquisite campiness, cutting across all generational, class and ethnic divides, bridging gaps that were once thought impenetrable. It’s an absolute winner. Please rethink your taste. The problem with men like you is that you only watch MCU /DC and you underestimate the power of women and gays. Not everything has to be appeal to you. This movie will prove you wrong. The writing is on the wall - Barbillion forever.”

LMFAO and you know what they doing next

report-calling-police.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Redolent said:

Exactly this.

• Like 2

Yeah exactly 🤣. If a fast and furious movie takes good reviews we wouldn't have a discourse about "and people Will like It?".

For this movie someone brings into the conversation "even if critics like It people Will love It?" cause you don't like It what you see in the trailer and can understand someone can like It. But It's exactly what the audience of this movie Is asking. Trailers are perfect (see the previews sales they bring to). 

Edited by vale9001

Maybe bullying is overstating things, but earlier this week I literally posted the BBFC's rating guidance and plot summary for Barbie--and nothing else--and got a "Not Cool" reaction. Maybe it was a mistake, or someone's seen a screening already and disagrees with the rating, or maybe they hate copy-pasting, IDK (but I even linked the site). What can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Definitely, it doesn’t make any sense. 

Is weird that those guys actually work on the industry, because even here we all know when a studio thinks a big movie will have awful reviews, they put a huge embargo on it. Shazam 2 from WB dropped reviews less than 24 hours before previews.

They can get it wrong, The Flash reviews while not awful dropped a week before and it wasn’t pretty … but we all know they was actually expecting good reception and box office for that. 

These rumour that WB knows this movie is bad and is making people sign NDA’s to avoid the bad word to spread seems ridiculous when we know they could just put a full embargo to drop on July 19-20 if they want. People are signing NDA’s because they watched the movie and interviewed the crew weeks before everyone else, that’s standard. I’m sure everyone who is under NDA will post their reaction tomorrow night once social media embargo ends.

It’s possible reviews will be bad, I’ve seen weirder things happen before, but if it happens i’m sure WB will be surprised just like us.

Pretty sure Sneider/Wells/Ruimy know exactly how the business works w/r/t early screenings and NDAs, but spinning it into something nefarious is much better for their clicks/engagement. Barbie seems not to be like the movies they usually go for anyway, so maybe there is some wishful thinking on their part.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redolent said:

Best post I've read in a long time. As someone who despises MCU/DC, I found both Barbie trailers painfully unfunny. That lame ass FLAT FEET! "joke" that takes up 1/3 of the trailer is particularly offensive. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Best post I've read in a long time. As someone who despises MCU/DC, I found both Barbie trailers painfully unfunny. That lame ass FLAT FEET! "joke" that takes up 1/3 of the trailer is particularly offensive. 

Interestingly, that joke doesn’t appear in the trailers shown here. 

Edited by Krissykins

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Interestingly, that joke doesn’t appear in the trailers shown here. 

It does in the US 

c815c8757c104c4775b2bd68aadcd9f7dad158d2

But with that being said I actually found it funny.  I'm going to the one of early showings on the 19th and I'm ready!