grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

46 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

😂😂

A lot of people do t seem to realize that PG-13 movies don’t actually enforce age restrictions. If a person under 13 wants to watch a PG-13 movie without a parent or guardian, they’re free to do so. It’s not exactly common for 13 year olds to carry around proof of their age anyway. They don’t have driver’s licenses. 

On 7/31/2023 at 9:54 PM, RRA said:

An element of nationalism is a persecution complex, blaming others for said nation’s mistakes/crimes or minimizing them. 

Look at Russians for the last (checks watch) 17 months screaming online about “Russophobia” as if they didn’t start a war, blow up a dam, fire rockets at civilians, pulling out of a grain drain which threatens starvation of the 3rd world, etc.

As much as Americans and Chinese don’t agree on many things, we do agree that we look at whenever Japan* goes “woe me!” over 1945 and go really?

*=I got nothing against Japanese folks, that awful war was 80 years ago. But if you tell me the sky is purple, I’ll point out it’s actually blue. 

To hear some Japanese Politicans talk,Japan was just sitting around innocnetly and the mean old USA dropped the bomb on them out of pure spite.

Just a couple of years ago, A major Japanese Politicin managed to damage Japan/Korea relations when he denied there were ever such things as the Korean "Comfort Women" in the good old days of the Co Prosperite Sphere.

Edited by dudalb

11 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Event ended with applause - Director &Producer didn't mention about Yesterday's Outrage ; even Mitsuki didn't mention anything (She earlier decided not to go for Stage Greetings because of #Nobarbenheimer but since her attachment with Barbie along with Greg visiting Japan made her change decision.) 

I appreciated that Greg love Japanese Film and ofc despite what's happening currently - she ignored and came forward to visit Japan for Stage Greetings. I am taking it as a positive note -- 

Although, things haven't settle, more are to happen - many predictions, many thoughts but Barbie is going to release - 11.08.2023. Both, Director and Producers wishes that People here could appreciate the work and share love ~ Pink Fashion is coming!

These events the questions are so curated I don't think they would ever ask questions like that. And Greta and the producer probably is not involved in those tweets. Oversight, yeah, but no malice, and I think most people understand that. I think, and hope, that it's an internet thing and the news cycle outside of twitter is short here. They will be back to the daily Otani news in no time. 

Maybe there is a curiosity factor too as this made so much money worldwide that prompt people to check it out when it's released here, even though Barbie is not a big brand here.

There have been so many merchandising tied in now as well to back off from promoting the movie.

• Thanks 1

I think we should respect other people cultures. I called the Vietnam and Philippines issue with the map in the movie ridicolous, this is different.

Also i REALLY don't think americans love jokes about 9/11. Internet is a thing, real world is another. And there is another "little difference": Japanese didn't make the 9/11.  A similar comparison would be jokes from Warner Bros Japan account about the Pearl Harbour tragedy, to promote a japanese comedy. Not the 9-11.

It's also very superfluos to talk about who is right and who is wrong in WW2, wars are still a tragedy and wars are not made or decided by civilians, so the death of civilians in a war is something always needs to be respected.

USA is the only western country well knows what is bombing other countries but never being bombed in their own country. 

Anyways this clearly was a mistake from some intern for just a social account, it's not the official promo campaign for the movie. So why complaining for this mistake it's ok, once they say sorry  still going on as it's an issue inside the movies becames stupid, it's at this point it would becames stupid. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

A lot of people do t seem to realize that PG-13 movies don’t actually enforce age restrictions. If a person under 13 wants to watch a PG-13 movie without a parent or guardian, they’re free to do so. It’s not exactly common for 13 year olds to carry around proof of their age anyway. They don’t have driver’s licenses. 

The films won’t enforce it of course, but I’d imagine the cinema would? If not they should just remove it. 

Do parents really send 12 year olds to the cinema themselves though? Seems a bit young to be travelling alone lol. 

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

I think we should respect other people cultures. I called the Vietnam and Philippines issue with the map in the movie ridicolous, this is different.

Also i REALLY don't think americans love jokes about 9/11. Internet is a thing, real world is another. And there is another "little difference": Japanese didn't make the 9/11.  A similar comparison would be jokes from Warner Bros Japan account about the Pearl Harbour tragedy, to promote a japanese comedy. Not the 9-11.

It's also very superfluos to talk about who is right and who is wrong in WW2, wars are still a tragedy and wars are not made or decided by civilians, so the death of civilians in a war is something always needs to be respected.

USA is the only western country well knows what is bombing other countries but never being bombed in their own country. 

Anyways this clearly was a mistake from some intern for just a social account, it's not the official promo campaign for the movie. So why complaining for this mistake it's ok, once they say sorry  still going on as it's an issue inside the movies becames stupid, it's at this point it would becames stupid. 

Yeah I mean as someone from Japan I don't find the memes funny either, and quite ignorant in the grand scheme of things.

But I do think that people could also separate the movie from the few artists who captialized on the meme and make these posters, and whoever was running that wb twitter account.

I think some of this anger is justified, but at the same time to call for the movie, which has no such imagery inside the movie, to be banned, is a bit too much. There are other ways to address this.

Some prominent Japanese film critics had also said as much, as they can separate the two issue.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Nonsense.

The Nazis and the Japanese Miltarists had to be stopped, and fighting them was the only way to do it

On 8/2/2023 at 6:12 AM, Issac Newton said:

:winomg:

US Ambassador Rahm Emanuel has just picked one of the worst possible times to tweet out an endorsement of the Barbie movie. Does his staff even watch the news?

AMbassaodr Emanuel has the right to express his opinion of movies.

And, I repeat this controvers is stupid.

• Knock It Off 1

18 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Anyways this clearly was a mistake from some intern for just a social account, it's not the official promo campaign for the movie. So why complaining for this mistake it's ok once they say sorry 

I wish they had let Greta talk about this and clarify to the general Japanese public at the event as the backlash deliberately seeks to confuse people into thinking Barbie is making WW2 jokes too.

Hopefully Japan BO still manages to emerge unscathed somehow. Imagine if Japan and South Korea are the only underperforming markets for a Barbie movie. Upside down world.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

AMbassaodr Emanuel has the right to express his opinion of movies.

And, I repeat this controvers is stupid.

It's nOt  about Right to Express his Opinion but a basic ethics that subject which are hot trends in Twitter should not be fueled by Person in Important Position. The topic would naturally die down when people interaction slow down. - 

Will this hurt Barbie popularity as a Brand in Japan?

Really curious since Barbie brand hurt its reputation because of feminist in China,but the brand is never been popular in China according to Mattel’s finical report,thought Barbie dolls is well known but is not popular.so there’s not much problem(when your market is niche ,most people won’t care what happened),curious about situation in Japan

Edited by Sophia Jane