lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

While I think a sequel unlikey. You never can officially close the door on it,because of the Asia (South Korea,China,and Japan) market. Plus this is Lionsgate were talking about. They have put out sequels for movies that didn't have great box office results before.

Edited by Momo

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

While I think a sequel unlikey. You never can officially close the door on it,because of the Asia (South Korea,China,and Japan) market. Plus this is Lionsgate were talking about. They have put out sequels for movies that didn't have great box office results before.

I really don't think it is going to be a major breakout in any of those markets tbh. None of the other Asian markets were huge, I get that Japan has a tie to the original series from which PR came, but expecting PR to do blockbuster numbers there when the only movies which do so are the family and animated movies is kind of wishful thinking. China might go for the robot action, but not the long wait that comes before that action, will be surprised if it does more than 40M in China opening a week after GOTG2 and on the same day as King Arthur.

Lionsgate might put out a sequel to save face possibly, but more likely it just goes the Ascendant way and we hear nothing about it again. The domestic legs and OS results have just not been enough for a sequel.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I really don't think it is going to be a major breakout in any of those markets tbh. None of the other Asian markets were huge, I get that Japan has a tie to the original series from which PR came, but expecting PR to do blockbuster numbers there when the only movies which do so are the family and animated movies is kind of wishful thinking. China might go for the robot action, but not the long wait that comes before that action, will be surprised if it does more than 40M in China opening a week after GOTG2 and on the same day as King Arthur.

Lionsgate might put out a sequel to save face possibly, but more likely it just goes the Ascendant way and we hear nothing about it again. The domestic legs and OS results have just not been enough for a sequel.

I think PR will do better then King Author in China. King Arthur doesn't look appealing at all. As for other Asian markets. It did do decent in Malaysia. Now,I'm not saying it will do Pacific Riim or Warcraft numbers,but if it made 40M in China. I would take that.. Again,I don't think a sequel likely. In fact I think the opposite,but you can't predict the Asia market is my point. Warcraft is a prime example of that.

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

I think PR will do better then King Author in China. King Arthur doesn't look appealing at all. As for other Asian markets. It did do decent in Malaysia. Now,I'm not saying it will do Pacific Riim or Warcraft numbers,but if it made 40M in China. I would take that.. Again,I don't think a sequel likely. In fact I think the opposite,but you can't predict the Asia market is my point. Warcraft is a prime example of that.

Actually, people predicted Warcraft really well. Almost everyone had it doing 150M+ in China and some even predicted 250M. That was a movie which was supposed to be huge in China from the day it was announced.

Speaking of the stan twitter. I do wonder if Lionsgate/Saban promoting Trini as gay. May have backfired on them in the more conservative countries. I mean take Russia for example. They label Power Rangers rated R. We all know PR is not a R show/series. lmao

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lilmac said:

I'm intrigued by this positive word of mouth. Looks like the audience reaction outpaced the critical. Nostalgia factor perhaps?

You might be pleased to know that multiple movies are planned. 

https://variety.com/2017/film/spotlight/big-screen-version-power-rangers-hit-theaters-1202013633/

Yeah, I don't think those plans are happening anymore. It's not doing too well in any market from what I can tell.