lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

I don't get why people assume it will be based off the first team. They're probably doing something completely different than the first show.

Because the studio will probably want to bring in the adults who where kids back then who watched the first seasons of MMPR with the original team. It will have nostalgia going for it if it has characters like Tommy and Kimberly as the Power Rangers.

It would do better than a movie with completely new characters that few people will care about. ;)

• Like 1

I'd really love a clever take on this with a modern movie with battles like transformers, as well as some referencing of the origins. One scene I've imagined is the original series was famous for the cheap looking battles almost using the same toys you bought in the shop, so I can see a huge battle playing out with these awesome huge cgi machines before it cuts to 2 kids playing with the toys mimicking the show. Probably sounds better in my mind but I think it would be a nice touch. Either way I think this does have potential to turn the brand into a big Hollywood propety with the right budget and cast.

• Like 1

Should this move? Considering Ghostbusters and King Arthur are coming out on the same day. Maybe something like April 8th?

I don't really anticipate Ghostbusters or King Arthur being box office powerhouses. Ghostbusters in particular seems to have been met with mixed reaction from the core fan base, to put it gently.

Something will likely move back or forward a week, though. 

I don't really anticipate Ghostbusters or King Arthur being box office powerhouses. Ghostbusters in particular seems to have been met with mixed reaction from the core fan base, to put it gently.

Something will likely move back or forward a week, though. 

If this isn't perfect (PR) the baklash will be tenfold of what GB is getting.

Yes, but the people from whom the backlash is coming won't be the target audience, and won't make or break it. Power Rangers is going to be like TMNT 2014, it won't matter what the hardcore fans think of it, as long as grade-school boys take to it.

Edited by TServo2049

Yes, but the people from whom the backlash is coming won't be the target audience, and won't make or break it. Power Rangers is going to be like TMNT 2014, it won't matter what the hardcore fans think of it, as long as grade-school boys take to it.

Rangers benefit from having a more all-genders appeal than TMNT. If trailers are awesome and the cast is interesting, this just may hit 200M.

Because the studio will probably want to bring in the adults who where kids back then who watched the first seasons of MMPR with the original team. It will have nostalgia going for it if it has characters like Tommy and Kimberly as the Power Rangers.

I'm sorry but Tommy, Kimberly or any other specific character is not as beloved as all that. New characters would do just fine.

• Like 1

If this isn't perfect (PR) the baklash will be tenfold of what GB is getting.

I doubt it. Power Rangers is not a classic. It's a campy nostalgia-fest. As long as they give it better production values than the show (not hard) and don't lose all the humor and weirdness, the fans will be happy. They'll gripe (they always do), but overall it'll be a winner. 

The biggest mistake they can make, though, is to make it dark and violent. If they do that, it might very well bomb. 

I'm sorry but Tommy, Kimberly or any other specific character is not as beloved as all that. New characters would do just fine.

I would say Tommy is probably the only truly iconic Power Ranger, given that he came back as a mentor over a decade after his stint as an original member. 

All the others don't really matter to the majority of the fan base at this point. Especially since one of the original five is dead and likely won't be recast out of respect. 

• Like 1

I would say Tommy is probably the only truly iconic Power Ranger, given that he came back as a mentor over a decade after his stint as an original member. 

All the others don't really matter to the majority of the fan base at this point. Especially since one of the original five is dead and likely won't be recast out of respect. 

Also, a big part of PR's appeal was that kids could roleplay with friends, if my 90's childhood was anything to go by. And not roleplay as Tommy, Kimberly etc. but just based on color/animal theme. That's why interesting newbies would work just as perfectly.

• Like 1

I doubt it. Power Rangers is not a classic. It's a campy nostalgia-fest. As long as they give it better production values than the show (not hard) and don't lose all the humor and weirdness, the fans will be happy. They'll gripe (they always do), but overall it'll be a winner. 

The biggest mistake they can make, though, is to make it dark and violent. If they do that, it might very well bomb. 

Not really. We know GB is a mess up with a female cast, no salvaging that trainwreck. Rangers needs to be faithful or there will be backlash (low box office).