lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

It's really hard to imagine this being a hit. The Power Rangers were the pinnacle of 90s cornball. No one's particularly nostalgic for it.

Can you say the same for TMNT? The new TMNT did better then what people expect despite the bad reviews. Power Rangers has been doing very well on Nickeldeon and the toys for the newer shows have done well too. The new shows on Nick help Power Rangers stay relevant to a new generation of fans.

Can you say the same for TMNT? The new TMNT did better then what people expect despite the bad reviews. Power Rangers has been doing very well on Nickeldeon and the toys for the newer shows have done well too. The new shows on Nick help Power Rangers stay relevant to a new generation of fans.

The original movies (when the show was somewhat of a phenomenon) weren't big hits to begin with. And I don't have as much faith in Lionsgate to make this an "event".

• Like 1

I'm sorry but the two are very far apart from each other,TMNT sold $475Mil worth of Merch. PR did about $80Mil.I just don't see how this thing becomes a big hit. $375Mil WW Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

TMNT has stood the test of time a lot better than Power Rangers. The original film would gross nearly $250 million today. The first Power Rangers movie would get $60-65 million today. Power Rangers isn't really taken seriously, while TMNT has the nostalgia/timeless factor. 

I figured TMNT would do decent - Michael Bay + HTTYD2 and Planes 2 underperforming big time=$$$. Wasn't expecting $175 million+, but $125-130 million DOM would have been solid considering the lower than normal budget ($125 million) 

But TMNT is significantly more popular than Power Rangers... no reason to compare the two. 

I can see the movie doing well in the Asian market. The movie will likely do well in China, Korea and maybe Japan. In South Korea, the Sentai Shows are dubbed in Korean and slap the Power Rangers name on to them. Power Rangers is pretty big in Korea from what I've been told.

But TMNT is significantly more popular than Power Rangers... no reason to compare the two. 

People compare the two because they were both popular action shows for young boys in the early 90's (Well TMNT did came out first, but the show was still strong in the early 90's). Both shows were made to sell toys. Also the 1995 MMPR film got over shadow by Batman Forever and Pocahontas that summer. More kids went to see those movies instead. I don't find Power Rangers any siller then TMNT. Both franchises can't be view taken seriously since they both have silly conpects.I think the movie should turn out fine depending how good the cast and director are. TMNT despite it's bad reviews, still did well on it's first week. Power Rangers has a lot of nostalgia factor for it since it was one of the biggest kids shows in the 90's next to Pokemon. As a kid in the mid 90's, PR was nearly everywhere at the time.

People compare the two because they were both popular action shows for young boys in the early 90's (Well TMNT did came out first, but the show was still strong in the early 90's). Both shows were made to sell toys. Also the 1995 MMPR film got over shadow by Batman Forever and Pocahontas that summer. More kids went to see those movies instead. I don't find Power Rangers any siller then TMNT. Both franchises can't be view taken seriously since they both have silly conpects.I think the movie should turn out fine depending how good the cast and director are. TMNT despite it's bad reviews, still did well on it's first week. Power Rangers has a lot of nostalgia factor for it since it was one of the biggest kids shows in the 90's next to Pokemon. As a kid in the mid 90's, PR was nearly everywhere at the time.

The nostalgia may help a little but this not touching OW of Ninja Turtles. Hell, it doesn't even compare to Pokemon. Those properties are outright phenomenons.
  • Like 1

Two movies (a PG-13 action film and a G-rated Disney musical) doing well shouldn't have stopped a supposed "phenomenon" from grossing $70 million adjusted. A true phenomenon would have hurt the movies around it and made tons of money for itself. And TMNT started as a gritty Marvel comic series, then got turned into kiddie fare during the late 80s. 

Pokemon - The First Movie did $140 million DOM adjusted with Toy Story 2 two weeks later. 

TMNT sold more than any other action figure last year... where does Power Rangers rank? 

TMNT 1 (1990) - $260 million DOM (adjusted)

TMNT (2014) - on track for $175-200 million DOM finish (today's dollars) 

TMNT 2 (1991) - $152 million DOM (adjusted)

Pokemon - The First Movie (1999) - $137 million DOM (adjusted) 

TMNT 3 (1993) - $83 million DOM (adjusted) 

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (1995) - $71 million DOM (adjusted) 

Pokemon 2000 (2000) - $66 million DOM (adjusted) 

TMNT (2007) - $64 million DOM (adjusted) 

Turbo - A Power Rangers Movie (1997) - $15 million DOM (adjusted) 

Power Rangers is definitely below Pokemon and TMNT in popularity and nostalgia. Not knocking the franchise, but it's not equaling TMNT (2014) when summer 2016 has Alice in Wonderland 2, TMNT 2, Finding Dory, Angry Birds, The BFG and Ice Age 5 targeting family audiences. This summer had HTTYD2 and Maleficent as far as big family movies go - helped TMNT and GotG solidly break out. 

• Like 1

I have more faith in this movie then I did with TMNT. At least the movie has the producer of First Class and the writer of the recent Trek movies.Now we need a good director and a decent cast. The Hunger Games franchise is almost done, so Lionsgate needs a new franchise. Lionsgate does a good job on marketing The Hunger Games, so I have faith in them marketing this movie well enough unlike Dredd.

• Like 1