lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

This feels like a March movie to me. They really should push it, considering the weekend it's at is already not great, and that there hasn't been all that much developpement so far.

Quoting myself, I think we knew this would move. I said march, but January could work too (I guess).

More like MLK weekend. It has become a proven viable spot. The rest of January still sucks in general. 

Underworld: Revolution (2006)

Big Momma's House 2 (2006) 

Bride Wars (2009) 

Taken (2009) 

Tooth Fairy (2010) 

No Strings Attached (2011) 

Red Tails (2012)

Underworld: Awakening (2012) 

The Grey (2012) 

Zero Dark Thirty (2013) 

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) 

Lone Survivor (2014) 

Taken 3 (2015) 

The Revenant (2016) 

Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016) 

Mena (2017) 

All of them have or will be released wide on non-MLK release dates.

January, February, September and October historically reek because the studios allow them to. In recent years, studios have slowly improved their slates. Looking at September-October 2015, as well as January-February 2016... Hollywood is starting to spread compelling films across all 12 months of the year. 

• Like 1

Underworld: Revolution (2006)...Mena (2017) 

All of them have or will be released wide on non-MLK release dates.

January, February, September and October historically reek because the studios allow them to. In recent years, studios have slowly improved their slates. Looking at September-October 2015, as well as January-February 2016... Hollywood is starting to spread compelling films across all 12 months of the year. 

Why do we have to always do this? Yes compare those with whats being released in other months. That's not impressive. And I haven't see another month yet this year that has had the nice share of bombs January had. #Mortdecai, Blackhat, Loft, Strange Magic. 

You're right, slates are slowly improving, but they still suck. That's how it is. You're being bias over recent success, but only 10 movies, TEN, have opened over $30M in January. October, which is routinely worse, has had 20. January even trails September in $30M+ openings when you adjust, making it i.e the worst month to open a movie. Xmas holdovers is what gives January the boost. So Sniper means nothing except the schedule will get better. But Sniper, and even Ride Along's recent success doesn't mean January is now top tier, it just means MLK weekend is a safer bet than before.

Also the only movies that made $100 out of what you named was Lone Survivor and Taken (which was in January for 2 days, and still had a standard opening...) The rest all had pretty standard or poor runs. Bride Wars?? Stop.

• Like 2

So I kind of had this doing Transformers numbers... but January release date doesn't fill me with confidence. For some reason I thought this was another Paramount franchise like TMNT & TF.

The reason this was moved to January is because I had heard somewhere that Saban wants this to be as faithful to the source material as possible..I.e. same costumes and all with a slight modern edge. He believes a faithful power rangers movie done on a 70-75 million budget can be a huge boxoffice hit.

The reason this was moved to January is because I had heard somewhere that Saban wants this to be as faithful to the source material as possible..I.e. same costumes and all with a slight modern edge. He believes a faithful power rangers movie done on a 70-75 million budget can be a huge boxoffice hit.

Hahaha, no.

Saban was very much a product of its time. In an age where kids are growing up with high-polish Marvel and DC movies, no one except people scraping the absolute bottom of the nostalgia barrel are going to go for this.