Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

It's pretty clearly being overestimated to avoid a 60% drop for the weekend, but sure, Sony isn't the only one using Mother's Day to their advantage. There's a pretty good chance Neighbors falls under $50m, IMO.

Yeah, I agree, Neighbors actual will be under 50M. 

• Like 1

Long term the ASM trilogy will be considered a failure for Sony. Didn't get the job done of effectively rebooting in an era when iconic franchises are crucial & that was to be expected w/ how close it was to the previous Spidey series.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 2

Long term the ASM trilogy will be considered a failure for Sony. Didn't get the job done of effectively rebooting in an era when iconic franchises are crucial & that was to be expected w/ how close it was to the previous Spidey series.

I still can't believe they were expecting over 1B WW and 300M DOM :rofl:

The Sinister Six and Venom reboot are also two other very stupid ideas. 

• Like 3

And yet the first two films will gross about 1.5 billion dollars in total.  Not too bad.  If the budgets and marketing were lower.....

How long could Sony have waited to make an SM film before losing the rights? Because however long it was, they should have waited that long.

Considering how much time FOX had to make a reboot of Fantastic Four, they probably could have waited a few more years.

They had to make movies or else they would have lost the rights…plus 3 movies and $2b+ ww later I don't think they're too upset.  Sure, a little disappointed they didn't make more, but they still made good money when all is said and done.

How long could Sony have waited to make an SM film before losing the rights? Because however long it was, they should have waited that long.

I think it's 7 years between films. So...they had a little more time, but not a lot. Spidey 3 was in 2007.

Five years.  With SM3 in 2007 they waited as long as they could with ASM 2012 . 

They could have spent more time to do ASM2 right - including locking down a tight script and not messing with the movie while filming to add in the crack brained idea of laying the foundation for Sinister Six.

Stunning OW for Neighbors. Even with not-amazing legs and a lower than estimated OW (Mother's Day won't be kind to this film necessarily) it should still reach 150m and become the biggest Rogen comedy. 

I imagine ASM2's weekend actuals will be closer to 36m, so over a 60% drop. Might not outgross Star Trek Into Darkness domestically because I can't see it doing more than 225. That's also like half of Spider-Man 3 adjusted. Overseas grosses aside, this can't be what Sony wanted from this franchise. 

Dammit Noah, get to 100m already! 

• Like 2

And yet the first two films will gross about 1.5 billion dollars in total. Not too bad. If the budgets and marketing were lower.....

You of all people understand this B, they have targets & expectations to do massive business being a summer tentpole. If they didn't do those #s, it would be a disaster which it isn't. These are solid short term but honestly long term I refuse to believe they will accomplish their objectives when Disney/WB are issuing an all out war on the genre.

They had to make movies or else they would have lost the rights…plus 3 movies and $2b+ ww later I don't think they're too upset.  Sure, a little disappointed they didn't make more, but they still made good money when all is said and done.

They didn't make as much as you might expect. Someone showed the total cost on Man of Steel and it was off the charts. By the time it was all said and done, WB only made around $50m on it. The ASM series isn't much different and they don't even get the merchandise that WB gets from Superman.

• Like 2

Even if the movies are barely profitable Spidey sells so many toys, blankets, and other merchandise that it could probably make back its budget in that alone. Sponsored merchandise for kids in a Spider Man movie is like a license to print money. They would never get ride of the rights for that reason, anyway. 

But fuck Spidey's boring run anyway. More appreciation for that godly Neighbors number is needed. I've been calling breakout for months, but I didn't see it passing Gatsby in a million years. 

They had to make movies or else they would have lost the rights…plus 3 movies and $2b+ ww later I don't think they're too upset. Sure, a little disappointed they didn't make more, but they still made good money when all is said and done.

Sony as a company has been lagging for years (check the stock price) & this will do nothing to improve their long term prospects because it should have already if it was going to.

Considering how much time FOX had to make a reboot of Fantastic Four, they probably could have waited a few more years.

Fox has 7 years but Sony only 5. 

I don't know if  that was in the original license or it's because of the Mutant X TV series lawsuit Marvel lost to FOX and extending the license terms was a settlement condition.

Even if the movies are barely profitable Spidey sells so many toys, blankets, and other merchandise that it could probably make back its budget in that alone. Sponsored merchandise for kids in a Spider Man movie is like a license to print money. They would never get ride of the rights for that reason, anyway. 

And Sony gets NONE of that revenue. Marvel owns the merchandising rights for Spider-Man.

• Like 3

You of all people understand this B, they have targets & expectations to do massive business being a summer tentpole. If they didn't do those #s, it would be a disaster which it isn't. These are solid short term but honestly long term I refuse to believe they will accomplish their objectives when Disney/WB are issuing an all out war on the genre.

Don't forget FOX with the planned X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover. That thing will be huge if done in the right way. 

But fuck Spidey's boring run anyway. More appreciation for that godly Neighbors number is needed. I've been calling breakout for months, but I didn't see it passing Gatsby in a million years. 

Disney owns all the merchandise right for Spider-man as well as TV and animated rights.  They bought out Sony's share a few years ago for about $280m plus their % of the film rights.

• Like 3