Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

...and to think some people don't believe Vince McMahon's a genius.

He is. 

Unless we're talking XFL here...

WWE Films seems to be doing OK...

• Like 2

Nieghbors performed incredibly but, call me crazy, this was never opening below $40m. It had a pitch perfect marketing campaign that laid out the premise extremely clearly and it has been consistently building buzz since screenings months ago. This had everything going for it to break but wow, $50m is really great.

• Like 4

Nieghbors performed incredibly but, call me crazy, this was never opening below $40m. It had a pitch perfect marketing campaign that laid out the premise extremely clearly and it has been consistently building buzz since screenings months ago. This had everything going for it to break but wow, $50m is really great.

This really didn't pop up on most people's radar until a couple of months ago, so it's surprising it opened so well

• Like 1

This really didn't pop up on most people's radar until a couple of months ago, so it's surprising it opened so well

"Months ago" could be a long time but I don't know how long you are referring to. This has been massively marketed, the campaign was one of the best in a long time, they targeted their key demographic with successful college screenings, and it was a huge bit with the sxsw. crowd. People have been saying great things about this movie since March and the buzz never stopped, it was ripe for this great opening. I didn't expect $50m, but I would have been disappointed with less than $40m. Not because of the budget or anything, but because the premise and advertising aligned perfectly.

...and to think some people don't believe Vince McMahon's a genius.

The Network is doing well, and WWE Films is also actually turning a profit now since they moved to a co-production model. Oculus and The Call have both done well, and Scooby-Doo Wrestlemania Mystery also sold pretty well. So yeah, I think Vince is finally making the right moves outside wrestling as well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gc72_xfl-auction_fun

XFL Auction by hulkamania4ever

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

"Months ago" could be a long time but I don't know how long you are referring to. This has been massively marketed, the campaign was one of the best in a long time, they targeted their key demographic with successful college screenings, and it was a huge bit with the sxsw. crowd. People have been saying great things about this movie since March and the buzz never stopped, it was ripe for this great opening. I didn't expect $50m, but I would have been disappointed with less than $40m. Not because of the budget or anything, but because the premise and advertising aligned perfectly.

COUPLE of months ago. That's like 2 months.

• Like 1

Posted Image

imo partly it's the knees taking a lot of toll carrying so much weight, especially if all the muscle groups are not proportionately exercised. my grandfather was a body builder and otherwise very healthy, but his knees gave out and they had to be replaced. he used to walk very slowly but if he had to march down a slope, i think he would do it like vince  :lol:

Edited by a2k

imo partly it's the knees taking a lot of toll carrying so much weight, especially if all the muscle groups are not proportionately exercised. my grandfather was a body builder and otherwise very healthy, but his knees gave out and they had to be replaced. he used to walk very slowly but if he had to march down a slope, i think he would do it like vince  :lol:

For people who need a little background, this was another unplanned moment in WWE.

The 2005 Royal Rumble came down to Batista and John Cena and the ending is something WWE are not likely to ever highlight again especially considering it also featured Chairman Vince McMahon. In Dave Lagana’s “I Want Wrestling” blog he told the story of how the ending was botched.

Batista was supposed to be the last man standing in the match but when he lifted Cena to eliminate him, the momentum took them BOTH over and to the floor. Luckily for Batista, they both hit at (sort of) the same time so they were able to come up with a contingency plan. Lagana’s story says that with the PPV running out of time, they tried to send one of the General Managers to the ring but they were too far away in the arena. So Vince McMahon got up from the Gorilla Position and stormed to the ring. He did his trademark power walk down the aisle and slid into the ring and then… sat on his arse. On sliding into the ring, he caught his knees on the way in and busted them. In a completely surreal image, Vince had to sit there pretending he wasn’t in severe pain as the referees, Cena and Batista improvised their reactions. Charles Robinson got the information from Vince as Batista and Cena distracted by throwing each other out again, then they announced the final two would restart. Cena and Batista ad libbed a finish with Batista eliminating John after a spine buster. But what we didn’t see was Vince McMahon WALKING to the back on two torn quads.
Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

The WWE wrestling product has been the worst it's been in recent memory. The ratings are way down and there's really no star power on the roster that can help them rebound. John Cena is played out and Daniel Bryan doesn't seem to be the answer either. What also isn't the answer is HHH bringing his old friends back for a paycheck. He truly is the Adam Sandler of the WWE. The future is looking bleak because stars like Taker, Punk, and Jericho are done and there's no comparable new talent to take their places.

Edited by Bishop54

Great for Neighbors. Too early to tell if this ends up with a Ted-like run or a Hangover run but either way still ridiculously good.And man ASM2 might actually miss $20 million, assuming Sony doesn't do some major fudging.

So, what are we thinking ASM2 will gross total domestically?I expect big drops against Godzilla and X Men. Imagine if Neighbors ends up grossing more than Spidey...that could mean Spidey ends up being the fourth best selling film of May...

Edited by Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Like 1

Easy to say now. The over 35 mill club gained a lot of steam at the end, but over 40 wasn't predicted by most here.  

• Like 3

Easy to say now. The over 35 mill club gained a lot of steam at the end, but over 40 wasn't predicted by most here.  

*Looks at signature*

Fuck yeah :lol:  B)

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1