Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

You of all people understand this B, they have targets & expectations to do massive business being a summer tentpole. If they didn't do those #s, it would be a disaster which it isn't. These are solid short term but honestly long term I refuse to believe they will accomplish their objectives when Disney/WB are issuing an all out war on the genre.

Yes, of course I understand it.  But they should also understand not to make their expectations so high when they are rebooting a series from 5 years ago and telling the same origin story all over again.  It was ludicrous to have those ridiculous expectations.  Whoever truly felt this would make a billion dollars doesn't understand the box office fully, especially when it seems as though this is following the Hobbit very closely.

Funny thing is that Raimi's sm4 was scheduled for 2011. He felt he was being forced to rush it and so dropped out. But they didn't release the next one in 2011 any way. Why not give Raimi an extra year then and get sm4 in 2012. Maybe they wanted a director who could be under control.

• Like 3

Disney owns all the merchandise right for Spider-man as well as TV and animated rights.  They bought out Sony's share a few years ago for about $280m plus their % of the film rights.

I think Sony gets all the money for the films.

Even if the movies are barely profitable Spidey sells so many toys, blankets, and other merchandise that it could probably make back its budget in that alone. Sponsored merchandise for kids in a Spider Man movie is like a license to print money. They would never get ride of the rights for that reason, anyway. 

But fuck Spidey's boring run anyway. More appreciation for that godly Neighbors number is needed. I've been calling breakout for months, but I didn't see it passing Gatsby in a million years. 

Sony doesn't get any merchandise revenue for this.  That stays with Marvel.  They are solely relying of movie revenue.

• Like 1

That's some drop for Cap 2. Is Sunday drop estimated too low?

It definitely has the highest drop in the top 10 so potentially could increase by 100 maybe 200K, if women check it out on Sunday. 

Edited by druv10

$10,100,000

+183.6% / $2,336

$120,801,000 / 8

$15,650,000

+55% / $3,619

$136,451,000 / 9 $11,450,000

-26.8% / $2,648

$147,900,000 / 10

Get out of here with that Sunday estimate, Sony. It's gonna fall over a million with actuals.

That saturday increase, I can't look.

Funny thing is that Raimi's sm4 was scheduled for 2011. He felt he was being forced to rush it and so dropped out. But they didn't release the next one in 2011 any way. Why not give Raimi an extra year then and get sm4 in 2012. Maybe they wanted a director who could be under control.

but some of the ideas for Spider-Man 4 sounded really bad and 2011 was four years after Sm3. I think getting a new team was the right thing to do but doing a full reboot might have been the problem