A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

21 minutes ago, Morieris said:

If he was the CEO of any other company, this would just be ignorant. typical, but ignorant.

Now it's really ignorant!

Is it "ignorant" or is it "working the ref"?  Could be both, but I tend to think it's the latter, especially in the presumed context of the question/interview.  In that it's signaling that Bob Chapek sees animation released under the Disney banner as marketed more toward families.   

Not exactly good working of the ref, and is absolutely going to go over like a lead balloon with many Disney fans (not to mention others).  But I'm guessing his comments weren't directed at Disney fans, but at folks who are probably pre-disposed to buy into the false notion that "cartoons are for kids".

Of course, as always, one of Bob Chapek's big weakness is either being unwilling or unable to consider that his comments get repeated outside of whatever context they're in and take into consideration how they'd go over with folks outside of the targeted audience.  Not a fatal weakness, at least not yet.  But it is a weakness, IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

That could be what kills him. Being CEO of Disney is different; head of Disney is expected to be good at PR and project a friendly, likable image in the tradition of Walt Disney. Image is all important to The Mouse.

Could be. But only if their financial situation worsens and his business acumen isn't enough to shield him.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 11:17 PM, Maggie said:

This “insider” has been oddly silent since the Cavill/Superman news completely torpedo’d this tweet. All I can find is tweets about horse racing.

Edited by VENOM

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am not defedning Chapek, but every film released so far in his tenure was greenlit by past administrations,so you really can't blame Chapek for them.

No, but the marketing for almost everything that isn't a Marvel project has been dreadful under him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VENOM said:

This “insider” has been oddly silent since the Cavill/Superman news completely torpedo’d this tweet. All I can find is tweets about horse racing.

Condiser anything on Twitter to be BS until proven differently.

5 hours ago, JWR said:

No, but the marketing for almost everything that isn't a Marvel project has been dreadful under him.

Cant't disagree there.

I think Marvel studios has it's own marketing department. So it might be that Marvel has people who are good at marketing, but Disney proper, well, does not.

He real problem is if things go wrong he does no thave many friends to turn to.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 8:49 PM, Porthos said:

Is it "ignorant" or is it "working the ref"?  Could be both, but I tend to think it's the latter, especially in the presumed context of the question/interview.  In that it's signaling that Bob Chapek sees animation released under the Disney banner as marketed more toward families.   

Not exactly good working of the ref, and is absolutely going to go over like a lead balloon with many Disney fans (not to mention others).  But I'm guessing his comments weren't directed at Disney fans, but at folks who are probably pre-disposed to buy into the false notion that "cartoons are for kids".

Of course, as always, one of Bob Chapek's big weakness is either being unwilling or unable to consider that his comments get repeated outside of whatever context they're in and take into consideration how they'd go over with folks outside of the targeted audience.  Not a fatal weakness, at least not yet.  But it is a weakness, IMO.

It is a weakness, but I'd like to believe that after the Florida bill fiasco, he'll at least try to prevent it from becoming a fatal one.

• Like 1

12 mil new D+ subs

9 mil from real Disney+

3 mil from Hotstar

2 Mil from the US

40% of Disney+US subs are from the Disney Bundle. They say it's good to lower churn.

Chapek refers to Marvel as "Her". Weird. Kinda Sexy.

Chapek shoutouts Nielsen and their ratings for Hocus Pocus 2. Looks like Nielsen is accurate, folks.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

stock dropped hard after hours. 

Not as big a drop as Roku, WBD and Paramount (all were double digits) but down ~6% after-hours not great, erosion of linear networks and ad market weakness hurting the media sector. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Not as big a drop as Roku, WBD and Paramount (all were double digits) but down ~6% after-hours not great, erosion of linear networks and ad market weakness hurting the media sector. 

It was down double digit after numbers  were initially posted. Now its down 6.77%. ROKU is not a good comp as that is a "tech" company with negative FCF. All those stocks have tanked big from their peak. WBD/Paramount have little upside. I was hoping for more from DIS especially on the Park/Cruise side. Now its below COVID bottom back in 2020 march and is more than 50% off its ATH.

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It was down double digit after numbers  were initially posted. Now its down 6.77%. ROKU is not a good comp as that is a "tech" company with negative FCF. All those stocks have tanked big from their peak. WBD/Paramount have little upside. I was hoping for more from DIS especially on the Park/Cruise side. Now its below COVID bottom back in 2020 march and is more than 50% off its ATH.

I remember it at 7% when numbers were first posted but didn't follow it minute by minute as was busy reading the report so maybe missed it dipping into double digit territory.

Parks were up slightly QoQ and way up YoY in terms of revenue, down a bit QoQ in terms of operating income but up YoY, the strong US dollar and having to shut WDW for a bit due to the hurricane hampered business, parks is still looking real good though above FY2019 in terms of revenue now. 

It was media segments that had the major losses with Linear Networks dropping nearly $900m QoQ and nearly $400m YoY, Content Sales and Licensing continues to lose a small amount, peak losses in streaming this quarter so was a bad look for all that to happen in unison. I'm still waiting for the 2022 full year report to see what we are looking at in terms of Pay TV subs but not a good story for legacy media companies that even Disney with ESPN is getting impacted negatively with lower affiliate fees and advertising, Linear Networks have been able to be steady for years for Disney but I worry FY23 will be fairly ugly. 

• Like 1

I was thinking about this and the worst part of this compared to Fox/Disney layoffs is that there really isn't a lot of places for any employees who are let go from Disney (or WBD, Netflix, NBCUniversal etc.) to go as compared to 2018/2019 when Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Warner etc. were all ramping up in terms of getting all sorts of media employees.

Also as I said in the Disney+ thread hopefully any layoffs are minimal. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Potiki said:

I was thinking about this and the worst part of this compared to Fox/Disney layoffs is that there really isn't a lot of places for any employees who are let go from Disney (or WBD, Netflix, NBCUniversal etc.) to go as compared to 2018/2019 when Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Warner etc. were all ramping up in terms of getting all sorts of media employees.

Also as I said in the Disney+ thread hopefully any layoffs are minimal. 

As do I. Hopefully, things don't get worse and lead to more layoffs. 

• Like 1