A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

5 hours ago, froztking said:

what kinda freshness u think flash have ? they r literally pushing 80s batman to bring audience ! nd flashpoint story which is same as time travel 

80s batman = fresh to gen z 

11 hours ago, exomassey said:

One thing I would do is scrap this Kang stuff and start again, Quantumania killed all the hype for this saga or whatever they call it.

Give us DOCTOR DOOM!

The problem with stopping a moving train is that it takes time to restart it all again.

Can't just stop on a dime and reconstruct a major product line at the snap of a finger.  Concepts need time to be worked on.  Scripts need time to be written.  Talent (above and below the line/in front of and behind the camera) needs to be secured.

And with something like this, gotta bring all the pieces together.

"Scraping the Kang stuff and starting again" is basically calling for a two or three or more year hiatus of nothing.  And once the train stops there's no guarantee it starts again when you want it to, as seen be movies on the SW side of things.

(and before anyone says "But Gunn...", I would wait and see just how successful the DC soft reboot is and how much they stick to their schedule [never mind how well it is received])

IMO the best thing Marvel can do is course correct as best they can but stick to the plan.  It's been said time and time again, but only because it's true: 

Release good films.

That's really it.  Everything else follows from it.  Of course, this is easier said than done.  But one of the last things things that Marvel outta do right now is panic/overreact, even if GOTG3 underperforms.

The one main place I would make an allowance is the Jonathan Majors situation.  At the same time, just recast the character should the charges against him be substantiated/his situation becomes too toxic.  Not like they don't have a perfect in-universe concept in hand should they need to.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The idea that Disney will release no Marvel films for 5-10 years is the dumbest thing I've heard in a very long time. Even WB doesn't wait that long for new Batman movies or Sony with Spider-Man. 

Keep in mind, Marvel Studios has yet to release a X-Men film and that franchise has been resting for long enough that there will be excitement for a new take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The idea that Disney will release no Marvel films for 5-10 years is the dumbest thing I've heard in a very long time. Even WB doesn't wait that long for new Batman movies or Sony with Spider-Man. 

Keep in mind, Marvel Studios has yet to release a X-Men film and that franchise has been resting for long enough that there will be excitement for a new take. 

we have an x-men film coming next year

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

😊

Bigger name filmmakers will demand bigger budget and bigger stars to work with, at a time when Marvel absolutely should be trying to keep their budgets under check..' Good luck with that cause that's a big step towards turning the MCU into the DCEU.

1 minute ago, scytheavatar said:

Bigger name filmmakers will demand bigger budget and bigger stars to work with, at a time when Marvel absolutely should be trying to keep their budgets under check..' Good luck with that cause that's a big step towards turning the MCU into the DCEU.

the article says not bigger it says experienced there is a big difference ! instead of rick and Morty writers nd 1 or 2 small movies directed directors they r going for directors with good experience on handling these projects 

1 hour ago, froztking said:

the article says not bigger it says experienced there is a big difference ! instead of rick and Morty writers nd 1 or 2 small movies directed directors they r going for directors with good experience on handling these projects 

The talent pool in Hollywood is so shallow right now that I am not sure how you can have experience in making successful big budget films and not be a big name...... just look at that Shang Chi director, he makes a mildly successful Shang Chi and already he's directing an Avengers movie. And reportedly has the powers to demand characters for that movie. 

I am of the opinion that you can have  Spielberg direct Ant Man 3 and the movie would still suck if it is going to be about the next Thanos getting into a fist fight with the weakest hero in the MCU. Experience means nothing if you are constantly asking these experience directors and writers to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. 

Edited by scytheavatar

11 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Wouldn't be anywhere near as big a PR nightmare when Kang Dynasty ends up being a box office flop, if not a box office bomb. Now is the time for Feige to throw away egos and admit he fucked up. Trying to pretend the MCU is all fine and no course correction is needed is going to make things worse.

What course correction do you want other than quality? You want Marvel to not release Daredevil and the Vision quest project because you think that D+ hurts the MCU? Or do you want marvel to sideline some characters that you don't like?

20 minutes ago, Willowra said:

What course correction do you want other than quality? You want Marvel to not release Daredevil and the Vision quest project because you think that D+ hurts the MCU? Or do you want marvel to sideline some characters that you don't like?

I am of the opinion that the Daredevil Disney+ show makes sense but a series of Daredevil movies make even more sense and Disney would have made much more money going down the latter route. The question of Disney+ is a frustrating one cause for too long it seems Disney+ is being held up by Marvel/Star Wars shows and yet those shows are getting less and less hype overtime. With their high budgets it is inevitable that Disney has to ask if it continues to make financial sense to make Marvel/Star Wars shows for Disney+, but then without them what does Disney+ have? 

Back to the question of Marvel I really don't have a good answer for what course correction is necessary. But my feeling is that the delay of Fantastic 4 really screwed up Marvel's plans and it is kind of ridiculous why Kang didn't debut in that Fantastic 4 movie when he is a Fantastic 4 villain. Right now the fate of the MCU really lies on that movie cause if it fails then I am not sure how they can move forward with the Kang Dynasty. But Feige's seemingly nonchalant attitude towards that movie (wants an experienced director so that he doesn't need to spend much time in it) makes me think the movie is in trouble. 

37 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Back to the question of Marvel I really don't have a good answer for what course correction is necessary. But my feeling is that the delay of Fantastic 4 really screwed up Marvel's plans and it is kind of ridiculous why Kang didn't debut in that Fantastic 4 movie when he is a Fantastic 4 villain. Right now the fate of the MCU really lies on that movie cause if it fails then I am not sure how they can move forward with the Kang Dynasty. But Feige's seemingly nonchalant attitude towards that movie (wants an experienced director so that he doesn't need to spend much time in it) makes me think the movie is in trouble. 

Kang is an Avengers villain too. In Kang Dynasty comics, the main protagonists were Captain Marvel (Warbird) and Captain America, not the Fantastic Four. In the Avengers Forever storyline (this is also being rumoured by some scoopers), in which the main antagonist is Immortus (teased in Ant-Man 3), the Avengers are the main protagonists, not the Fantastic Four. So this is a misconception that Kang is only the Fantastic Four's villain. In fact, Kang Dynasty writer has already made it clear that Fantastic Four and X-Men won't appear in Kang Dynasty.

On 4/16/2023 at 2:16 AM, scytheavatar said:

Fix what? How can Marvel fix Secret Wars? Cause ultimately there's nothing Marvel can do to change the fact that they got rid of the A tier characters and they are trying to make 2 Avengers movies centered around B/C tier characters that not many care about.

The fact this was said with a straight face as a fault in Marvel's plans is really telling.

• Thanks 1

MCU being reliant on a Fantastic Four movie always strikes me as pure hardcore comic fan logic. Marvel has a range of franchises it can use, the choice of franchise isn’t the issue but the content and direction of the overall universe.

Fantastic Four is going to have some heavy baggage with audiences and critics, it needs to knock it out of the park to get even considered by a lot of people.

12 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

More experienced directors doesn’t equal bigger budgets. Director inexperience is actually often a leading cause behind budget overruns on big productions.

2 hours ago, JWR said:

Hm...he's not really thinking through what shutting down Disney World will do to Florida and his election chances.

Like what's the end game? Hurt Disney? Yeah, he might be able to do that. But anything done to Disney World hurts Florida more.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Hm...he's not really thinking through what shutting down Disney World will do to Florida and his election chances.

Like what's the end game? Hurt Disney? Yeah, he might be able to do that. But anything done to Disney World hurts Florida more.

First hes playing to the national crowd but secondly Florida is changing, people are literally migrating for political reasons. 

In both cases he wants to be seen having a fight and winning. Personally I think hes going to get bogged down in a state issue whilst trying to run a national campaign but I can see why hes trying it.

22 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

He's a petty man child who can't let things go. 

5 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

First hes playing to the national crowd but secondly Florida is changing, people are literally migrating for political reasons. 

In both cases he wants to be seen having a fight and winning. Personally I think hes going to get bogged down in a state issue whilst trying to run a national campaign but I can see why hes trying it.

He's also falling behind in the polls against Trump, so this could all be a play to try and keep his name in the spotlight.

• Like 1