A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

18 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wall Street just saw Deadline’s Biggest Bombs of 2023 report which 4 of 5 films on it were Disney.

It's more the parks but that didn't help matters either 

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The Hulu integration must be going amazingly if they're already going to add ESPN too. My guess is the future "Disney Bundle" is gonna be a combined Disney+ and whatever that joint sports streamer winds up being called

No one is going to click on it, whatever this sports streaming thing is 

12 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

It's more the parks but that didn't help matters either 

Well investors already know these movies are flops. Deadline's reports don't move the needle 

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No one is going to click on it, whatever this sports streaming thing is 

I dunno it sounds big with all the people invovled. Its basically how Hulu was initially formed but with sports content instead of general entertainment stuff.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Tracking thread finally getting something interesting once Inside Out 2 tickets go on sale

But let's think, if you include THURS previews, Inside Out 2 comes out on June 13th. That is only 37 days away, meaning we are closer to Inside Out 2 than. . .GxK The New Empire

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric the Ape said:

You don’t have to buy it lol

I don't but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel some FOMO with how much goods there are on max 

Hate what he did to acme but Warner does work with a lot of interesting properties and directors

The streaming wars are done and now WB and Disney are cementing their place as the victors.

Paramount and Peacock didn’t have the juice. Their libraries were filled with catalogue content that would far too quickly rotate onto Netflix and Amazon, and their originals never popped. RIP in peace to them.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

The streaming wars are done and now WB and Disney are cementing their place as the victors.

Paramount and Peacock didn’t have the juice. Their libraries were filled with catalogue content that would far too quickly rotate onto Netflix and Amazon, and their originals never popped. RIP in peace to them.

Is Peacock going somewhere? 

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Not sure about Wb being a winner, globally it is still the big 3 of Netflix, Disney and Amazon that are assured to continue.

Comcast as a company is in a much better position than WBD and Paramount due to the diversified nature of being a cable/internet company and operating some major theme parks, that may be enough for Peacock to stick around as a niche player (niche mostly in the sense it is US only) I'm sure the new Office show that was announced will get a International buyer or buyers for non-US rights for instance that will fund most of the budget. Comcast also had a big pay day from Hulu and may get more money from that in the future as well, could be used to fund losses for a while or acquire a company to help them become more appealing etc. I'm getting a little more bullish on Peacock just because of their situation with their parent company compared to those that are still relying very heavily on cable/broadcast. 

One could argue Disney is still relying heavily on cable and broadcast, and for sports that is the case, but in terms of entertainment the revenue they are making off DTC from entertainment is more than cable/broadcast ever bought in. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

More supplemental info from Disney's quarterly results. 

Upcoming Theatrical releases: 

Screen-Shot-2024-05-09-at-11-03-23-AM.pn

Upcoming DTC releases:

Screen-Shot-2024-05-09-at-2-43-35-PM.png

Upcoming DTC roadmap of how they look to supercharge Disney+ via ESPN, Hulu and Star+ integrations: 

Screen-Shot-2024-05-09-at-11-04-51-AM.pn

Programming expense through the first 6 months of the fiscal year for Hulu and Disney+ were pretty flat at just over $7B or around 3.5B a quarter. Other expenses were slightly higher by roughly $200m or $100m by quarter. But revenue was up $1.4B or $700m per quarter for a swing into profit this quarter and that very small loss last quarter.

Pretty clear that Disney will be turning this around and should have a small but nice profit next fiscal year and I personally think by FY27 they should have some good 15-20% margins from the business which at say $25-30B in revenue would be around $4-6B in profits a year. 

Edit: posted theatrical releases twice instead of theatrical and DTC, have fixed it now. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AJG said:

Don't underestimate the power of MountCock

• Haha 1