A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

And in news which might impact Disney and other studios, The head of the GOP state legislature wants to abolish all incentives for filmmakers n Georgia. From what I have read, he is stealing from the De Santis playbook and wants to be seen as standing up to evil "Woke" studios.

IMHO this cuttion off you nose to spite your face ..Disney and the other studios bring far more money into the state then they get in benefits...but then stupid pandering politicians will be stupid pandering politicians.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

I don't think so, as that infographic was when The Marvels was slotted for a July release.  So it shifting to November would be part of the meme-ed "Spring cleaning".

(this is part of the problem with pithy photoshopped art on the web — people can read too much into it)

Everything that graphic suggests will be delayed has already been delayed 😛 

4 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Everything that graphic suggests will be delayed has already been delayed 😛 

By "delay," this scooper means KD and SW delays; we don't see him saying that DP3 is getting pushed to 2025 or that any other non-Avengers movie is getting pushed. I don't understand why these people want only the Avengers movies to get delayed.

Hi, kinda new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to make this question but I wonder: Will any MCU film be top 3 for Disney highest grossing next year? I mean there's still Deadpool 3 ( or at least for the moment) but even if it stays, Avatar 3 is the sequel to a $2 Billion grosser, Mufasa is a sequel/prequel to a movie that made more than $1.6 billion and Inside Out 2 has a good possibility of breaking out considering the first made $857M in 2015, won't be surprise if it surprasses $1 billion.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

And in news which might impact Disney and other studios, The head of the GOP state legislature wants to abolish all incentives for filmmakers n Georgia. From what I have read, he is stealing from the De Santis playbook and wants to be seen as standing up to evil "Woke" studios.

IMHO this cuttion off you nose to spite your face ..Disney and the other studios bring far more money into the state then they get in benefits...but then stupid pandering politicians will be stupid pandering politicians.

The best thing to do is not give these "pro-business" hypocrites the time of day and let them find out the hard way when the money starts to slow down (I'm certainly not going to hear it when they come back crying about it).

Wasn't it originally the studios who were looking to leave Georgia because of voting rights or something? This is a lot of hot air, ultimately money talks.

I personally am bearish on IO2 myself given Docter's not directing and a lot of the supporting VAs aren't returning. I hate using this word but it very much looks like a "cashgrab" production based on everything divulged about it so far.

Edited by AniNate

4 hours ago, Mickiland16 said:

Hi, kinda new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to make this question but I wonder: Will any MCU film be top 3 for Disney highest grossing next year? I mean there's still Deadpool 3 ( or at least for the moment) but even if it stays, Avatar 3 is the sequel to a $2 Billion grosser, Mufasa is a sequel/prequel to a movie that made more than $1.6 billion and Inside Out 2 has a good possibility of breaking out considering the first made $857M in 2015, won't be surprise if it surprasses $1 billion.

Yes. Both Inside Out 2 and that Lion King prequel look like they'll be financial duds, especially the latter.

• Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

Yes. Both Inside Out 2 and that Lion King prequel look like they'll be financial duds, especially the latter.

I could see Mufasa striking the right chords. Combine an original story featuring those legendary characters with the technology already developed, and if Barry Jenkins is allowed to bring his vision and bring the animalistic character drama, this could be a legit critical hit, and I'd imagine a great commercial success. Maybe not cross $1b, but that shouldn't be off the table if it's the truly great film it's capable of being.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I could see Mufasa striking the right chords. Combine an original story featuring those legendary characters with the technology already developed, and if Barry Jenkins is allowed to bring his vision and bring the animalistic character drama, this could be a legit critical hit, and I'd imagine a great commercial success. Maybe not cross $1b, but that shouldn't be off the table if it's the truly great film it's capable of being.

My issue here is that these remakes just don't have much longevity when it comes to franchise continuations. The typical life of these remakes is that they come out, people talk about them for nine months, and then never talk about them again. They all coast on the novelty of seeing the scenes and songs and aesthetics you remember from the movie you watched as a kid and nothing else. That works for one movie, and obviously works from different movie to different movie. But it doesn't really get audiences invested in the characters enough to see them in a follow-up adventure. Both Alice 2 and Maleficent 2 suffered this fate. People liked the remakes okay, but it wasn't enough to get you excited to see them again. Why would a prequel to what many consider one of the worst remakes hold any better than those films?

Really the only financially viable way if you want a franchise continuation is to do what they were going to do with Beauty and the Beast and do a Disney+ show. You still get big headlines and people are more willing to have it on as something in the background rather than pay money to see it in theaters.

I would definitely be much quicker to write Mufasa off if it were being directed by Jon Turteltaub or something (and I suspect Disney is aware of that which is why they hire these more reputable directors to give them some cinephile cred)

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

Kathleen Kennedy is a legendary producer no doubt but...not a good fit for running SW! This gets more ridiculous by the day, how many announced never to be seen movies have there been now? like 10-12?

Decided to look back at Disney Investor Day 2020 and the movies and TV shows they announced there to see what was the result from one of the most hyped presentations of all time. A good 75% of the things announced to huge hype either didn't get made, got cancelled in pre-production, were reviewed awfully, and/or got horrible box office and viewership on Disney+

Feels like it was a moment in time during the pandemic when people were looking for things to look forward to.

• Like 1