A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

5 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Weird, MCU cultists keep screaming there is no fatigue and the TV shows are awesome and everything is perfect. Maybe Iger should discuss with them first before giving statements like this.

You don;'t have to be a MCU cultist to think this Marvel is on it;d death bed crap is just that:Crap.

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Because DC just cranks out an annual DTV animated movie, and outside of a couple exceptions the vast majority range from okay to absolutely terrible garbage like Injustice and Killing Joke

DC animaton is not what it used to be.

Even Bruce Timm, who at his height  in the 1990's and early 2000'si  produced the best animated versions of Comic Book Charecter ever, has been very mediocre in his work lately.

More interesting to me that Linear has reached the point in that they are looking to get out of the business, still bullish about ESPN (Live Sports) but even there they are looking at strategic partnerships. It is possible they sell (either fully or a part of) ABC or close certain cable channels, probably FXX, Nat Geo Wild, Disney XD etc. that are more duplicate channels, and save money although Iger didn't go into great detail. 

Streaming will eventually turn a profit but Linear is on a steep decline for the last 18 months or so and given Iger's comment it has probably gotten worse recently, quite the turn round from 6 months or so ago when they were planning on riding Linear out for it's profits but then again a lot of things have turned more negative in the media landscape this year. 

5 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I disagree with that but they were both fine and enjoyable as fluff.

Ms. Marvel would have been better if it just focused on teenage superhero in Jersey balancing life and heroics instead of all that low-rent stuff about the Noor and the alternate dimension morons.

And I could have done without brining the whole sereis to a halt for a 90 minute history lesson. Not that the history is not important, but is was presented so clumsily.

And I don't get the Willow love  at all, It was borderline OK. To say it was better then the Mandolorain or Andor is , well, I cou;ld not disagree more strongly.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Having "cheap" easy access to the Disney vault is still worth the money for a lot of families and honestly that's what it probably should have always just been.

A supplemental income stream.

A lot of people have never seen what Disney Plus has to offer outsdie the hottest new shows.

I think the Classic Disney stuff alone is worth the fee. Also watch the NatGeo stuff a lot.

17 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Just catching up on the CNBC interview now and this is wrong, the increase in movie and introduction of TV was diluting the focus and attention of the people in the studio (not audience), thus why they have pulled back and partially why they slowed down releases from Marvel, Lucas (and more quietly WDAS and Pixar) but also to slow spending as well. 

From the 41 second mark:

"we ended up taxing our people way beyond, in terms of their time and focus way beyond where they had been. Marvel is a great example of that, they had not been in the TV business in any significant level, not only did they increase their movie output but they ended up making a number of Television series and frankly it diluted focus and attention"

If he saying the Marvel might have flooded the market to an extent that the General Audeince, as opposed to the fanboy audience, simply got tired of it he has a point.  You need proper spacing to keep people from getting overhwelmed. I think there is little debate th the first two years, Disney Plus bunched the Marvel shows too closley together.

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A lot of people have never seen what Disney Plus has to offer outsdie the hottest new shows.

I think the Classic Disney stuff alone is worth the fee. Also watch the NatGeo stuff a lot.

I think classic Disney and perhaps Pixar on Disney+ should have a vault style system where titles rotate and return to increase their value. It would make it more of an event as well. Live action Disney with a couple of exception can stay up and not to rotated although I'd put Mary Poppins in with the classic vault system.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If he saying the Marvel might have flooded the market to an extent that the General Audeince, as opposed to the fanboy audience, simply got tired of it he has a point.  You need proper spacing to keep people from getting overhwelmed. I think there is little debate th the first two years, Disney Plus bunched the Marvel shows too closley together.

I think the implication is that working on that much influenced quality as people in the studio were stretched thin, rather than a flooding the market take. Which I think most would agree MCU and Star Wars have been hit or miss in terms of audience reception to the shows/movies with some being well received whilst others are more mixed. If quality was high people would probably still be more accepting of a larger amount of shows/movies. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think classic Disney and perhaps Pixar on Disney+ should have a vault style system where titles rotate and return to increase their value. It would make it more of an event as well. Live action Disney with a couple of exception can stay up and not to rotated although I'd put Mary Poppins in with the classic vault system.

Nah. The Disney Vault was a trash system and those artificial scarcity tactics were the worst as a kid. We don't need this back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

DC animaton is not what it used to be.

Even Bruce Timm, who at his height  in the 1990's and early 2000'si  produced the best animated versions of Comic Book Charecter ever, has been very mediocre in his work lately.

Bruce Timm burned off any remaining goodwill left with Killing Joke.

12 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

Nah. The Disney Vault was a trash system and those artificial scarcity tactics were the worst as a kid. We don't need this back.

It clearly worked though because it drove demand. For Disney it does make sense to go back to that system for streaming because it means people don't expect the titles to be there forever. It wouldn't work for all titles like Marvel or Star Wars but for the classics, the limited availability increases their value. 

• Disbelief 1

They let WB and Universal get all the prime ingredients while they made themselves into McDonalds. Yes, they still own the premiere real estate (on release schedule) but if they think STAR WARS 10 will compete against BARBIE 2 in Christmas 2025...they cray.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Maybe dedicated classic section for Disney Plus wuld be a good idea. One problem is that the classic stuff is mixed in with a lot of other stuff in the selection menus.

And Give Fox it's own section why we are at it. Love to see the classic 20th Century fox movies on Disney Plus.

But then I wathc the NatGeo section a lot, so I am wierd.

Edited by dudalb

6 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I could've told them that before they even started this, but what are they gonna do now? Just start scrapping stuff that's already been planned out?

What I would do is not greenlight anything for a while or be more selective with it. Anything in production/active development can be worked on for sure (especially if there are already people hired) but I'd say slow down on the actual greenlighting.

9 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

For those watching, Marvel has actually been initiating a lot of behind the scenes changes since Iger came back. The release schedule for the shows has slowed down. Victoria Alonso was shown the door. Almost every movie they’re prepping has changed writers, notably pivoting away from TV comedy writers. The two big Avengers films got pushed back. The Marvels got a public test screening instead of keeping everything internal. They know MoM and L&T disappointed their audience and that Ant 3 was a disaster. They’re changing things up but that’s a slow process for projects of these sizes. 

I remember a case study in biz management where Disney internally didn't let people say negative things or criticisms during meetings. They were only allowed to say a current good thing then propose a good thing to work towards or do. So if your burgers were dry hockey pucks you weren't supposed to acknowledge that, you would have to say our burgers have excellent toppings, and I think it would be great if the patties were juicy to match!

It's good for them to make changes, but they need to assure audiences they heard their critiques, they have taken to heart what was wrong, and that they don't want to mess up like that again or the audiences are just not coming back. There are so many SW fans that are lost unless Disney can say TLJ was a mistake and Luke story should have been better.

Edited by rebelscum86