A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Deadpool just got beat to being Marvels first R rated release.

Huh, this actually looks great, unexpectedly good trailer.

Fun to see all YouTube comments saying similar things about it as well, not a bad start to marketing at all.

we can talk about how similar a lot of the character models for the female characters look these days but I caught the last few minutes of Bolt on TV and woof, the stylization on them was rough.

Also forgot it was part of the animated canon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Morieris said:

we can talk about how similar a lot of the character models for the female characters look these days but I caught the last few minutes of Bolt on TV and woof, the stylization on them was rough.

Also forgot it was part of the animated canon.

Bolt gives some major direct to video vibes. It’s better than the all time lows of Home on the Range and Chicken Little, but that’s not a compliment. 

The jump from that to Tangled for their CG animation was astounding. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Bolt gives some major direct to video vibes. It’s better than the all time lows of Home on the Range and Chicken Little, but that’s not a compliment. 

The jump from that to Tangled for their CG animation was astounding. 

So much of it had no detail or attempt at it. The Incredibles came out 4 years prior and at least had detail even if it looks dated today, it's actual 19th anniversary.

• Like 1

I get a feeling that Disney will start hunting for a long term CEO in the near future and Iger will exit before 2026. I dont think there is any short term magic pill to turn around Disney. It needs long term planning at the moment unless the rumor of Iger coming back only for it to be taken over by Apple or someone else. I consider that to be a remote possibility. Apple wont be interested in Linear TV or even run the Parks. 

So, my Hulu/D+ plan was gonna be a big hike on Black Friday, so I decided to spend this morning canceling the 2...and wouldn't you know.  Hulu gave me $2.99/month for 6 months and I can continue my D+ add at $2.99/month.  Yes, I'm a sucker - for those prices, I'm in for 6 more months (now to cancel next May before my vacation)...

Can't beat the price, although it goes to show only suckers pay full price for both (it's so funny to me that a company that won't discount theatrical tickets will totally discount streaming to the max)...and this is probably also a realization that the strike is gonna leave both services pretty sparse for the next 6 months (but I'm still catching up in both - just finished Murders in the Building and its after-show, which was spectacular AGAIN, and am now starting Loki)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

11 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I get a feeling that Disney will start hunting for a long term CEO in the near future and Iger will exit before 2026. I dont think there is any short term magic pill to turn around Disney. It needs long term planning at the moment unless the rumor of Iger coming back only for it to be taken over by Apple or someone else. I consider that to be a remote possibility. Apple wont be interested in Linear TV or even run the Parks. 

hey they just got another big corporate bigwig on board just today

Guess I'll make an updated Disney date prediction: 

Elio: Mar. 1 -> June 13 '25
Snow White: March 22 -> March 21 '25
Deadpool 3: May 3 -> November 8

The First Omen: Undated -> April 5
Planet of the Apes: May 24 -> May 3
Inside Out 2: June 14 -> Same
Mufasa: July 5 -> Dec. 20
Captain America 4: July 26 -> Same
Alien: Aug 16 -> Oct 11
The Amateur: Nov. 8 -> Mar 7 '25
Zootopia 2: Undated -> Nov. 27
Thunderbolts: Dec. 20 -> May 2 '25

At this rate, Disney will have 7 movies theatrically next year?  Goddamn.  If anything, could they bring Lilo & Stitch(when finished), Young Woman and the Sea, Nightbitch, And, In the Blink of an Eye from streaming to theaters?  Or any other streaming movie?

Edited by crazymoviekid

19 minutes ago, crazymoviekid said:

Guess I'll make an updated Disney date prediction: 

Elio: Mar. 1 -> June 13 '25
Snow White: March 22 -> March 21 '25
Deadpool 3: May 3 -> November 8

The First Omen: Undated -> April 5
Planet of the Apes: May 24 -> May 3
Inside Out 2: June 14 -> Same
Mufasa: July 5 -> Dec. 20
Captain America 4: July 26 -> Same
Alien: Aug 16 -> Oct 11
The Amateur: Nov. 8 -> Mar 7 '25
Zootopia 2: Undated -> Nov. 27
Thunderbolts: Dec. 20 -> May 2 '25

At this rate, Disney will have 7 movies theatrically next year?  Goddamn.  If anything, could they bring Lilo & Stitch(when finished), Young Woman and the Sea, Nightbitch, And, In the Blink of an Eye from streaming to theaters?  Or any other streaming movie?

Feel like Stitch will be bumped to theatrical (though I’m surprised they didn’t move it theatrically as it has nostalgia).

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/08/disney-dis-earnings-report-q4-2023.html

LOS ANGELES – Disney earnings topped expectations thanks in part to profit at ESPN+ and continued growth at theme parks, but a decline in ad revenue weighed on the top line.

After hours 86.25 +1.75 (2.07%)

• EPS: 82 cents per share vs. 70 cents per share expected, according to LSEG, formerly known as Refinitiv
  • Revenue: $21.24 billion vs. $21.33 billion expected, according to LSEG
  • Total Disney+ subscribers: 150.2 million vs. 148.15 million expected, according to StreetAccount.
Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/08/disney-dis-earnings-report-q4-2023.html

LOS ANGELES – Disney earnings topped expectations thanks in part to profit at ESPN+ and continued growth at theme parks, but a decline in ad revenue weighed on the top line.

After hours 86.25 +1.75 (2.07%)

• EPS: 82 cents per share vs. 70 cents per share expected, according to LSEG, formerly known as Refinitiv
  • Revenue: $21.24 billion vs. $21.33 billion expected, according to LSEG
  • Total Disney+ subscribers: 150.2 million vs. 148.15 million expected, according to StreetAccount.

Do the D+ subs include the 9M they got in that big cable deal?  If so, they had "true" negative subscriber overall growth in the quarter, and only grew at the expense of their cable channels (which got dropped in that deal)...

• Astonished 1

On 11/6/2023 at 9:37 AM, cannastop said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/disney-names-pepsicos-hugh-johnston-cfo-2023-11-06/

Disney taps PepsiCo veteran Hugh Johnston as CFO

Reuters

Kind of ironic considering the ride or die partnership Disney has long had with Coke products lol

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Do the D+ subs include the 9M they got in that big cable deal?  If so, they had "true" negative subscriber overall growth in the quarter, and only grew at the expense of their cable channels (which got dropped in that deal)...

Nah the big beat is International subs, Domestic only went up 0.5m, Hotstar lost 2.8m, International was up 6.4m. 

Screen-Shot-2023-11-09-at-10-15-01-AM.pn

This is the quote from the earnings release: "Disney+ added nearly 7 million core subscribers in the fourth quarter. Key streaming content in the quarter included theatrical titles Elemental, Little Mermaid and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3., original series Ahsoka and the Korean original series Moving." 

As I have been saying for years these services having big international hits like Moving is very important. 

Also other notable news is ESPN+ was profitable bringing in $33m for the quarter and streaming losses narrowed in entertainment streaming* (Disney+ and Hulu) $420m vs. $1.4B for the same quarter last year. 

*Entertainment and Sports are now their own reported parts of the company rather than Linear Networks and DTC. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1