A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

13 hours ago, That One Guy said:

this … isn’t how gender dysphoria works. could do a lot of good to educate yourself before talking and not fall for the most blatantly moronic anti-trans rhetoric

What I said is the guidance given to UK teachers by our government, its definitely not anti trans, its a very fair point. Basically teachers are to teach these things but they are advised never to suggest to a pupil that they may personally be in the wrong body. 

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

You do know that "Queer" is derogatory?

If that was the case it wouldnt be one of the words used in LGBTQ

3 hours ago, Tarintino said:

What I said is the guidance given to UK teachers by our government, its definitely not anti trans, its a very fair point. Basically teachers are to teach these things but they are advised never to suggest to a pupil that they may personally be in the wrong body. 

Do you believe teachers are doing this en masse in the U.S.?  Or even slightly?  I guess DeSantis does.  Or maybe he doesn't -- but he's sure dug himself in on it just to appeal to an ignorant base.  This is not how such a class discussion would usually go...if the teacher has any talent whatsoever -- there would be no "suggestions" to anyone personally.  And the perception that teachers forcibly "teach" these things directly in classrooms is of course also hyper-exaggerated rhetoric, similar to the "critical race theory" debate.  But banning any discussion of the issue outright is surely a problem, right?  And re: government "guidance": do you believe everything your government tells you?  We should apply the same critical standards to what our national governments are "prescribing" as we do to local/state governments.  

I also think everyone should consider that while Disney brings major moolah to the state of Florida, the unfortunate reality is that probably half or more of their local employees might share DeSantis' view, as well as many park visitors...so the issue will remain contentious for Disney corporately, whether Chapek stays or goes.  But if The Eternals can do it, Disney can change, too...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Real challenge is going to come in Georgia, where the legislature is onthe verge of passing a similiar law.

CHapek is going to be under major pressure to stop making Disney movies in Georgia.

He'll fold and donate to them, too. Well, unless Susan Arnold has some say here...

Edited by JWR

6 hours ago, Macleod said:

Do you believe teachers are doing this en masse in the U.S.?  Or even slightly?  I guess DeSantis does.  Or maybe he doesn't -- but he's sure dug himself in on it just to appeal to an ignorant base.

He doesn't. All these awful bills he's signing into law are merely for show to appease his followers, or at least whatever's left of them (he barely won by a 0.4% difference in 2018 and that was before a global pandemic that almost certainly took out a portion of his voters through his own stupidity). That's why he and his crew are going after Disney using the "yeah, I showed them, look at what a tough guy I am" mentality. Meanwhile:

• Like 4

This isn't the US General Politics thread, but I do want to make one point concerning DeSantis for our own General Audience when it comes to politics.

Pointing out, quite rightly, that he barely won election in 2018 in a year where the background national mood was very very very favorable to Democrats and expecting that to transition over into 2022 where it... isn't might be setting one's self up for disappointment.

Pond scum is offended when they get compared to DeSantis and I personally hope he loses by 25 points.  But... just pointing out that right now, emphasis on Right    Now, DeSantis might win re-election by double digits.  I personally would probably put the over/under at around an 8 point win without looking too deeply into it.

Now I personally would hope that be tacking far right, even for him, that would hurt him politically.  But appealing to anti-establishment voters in extremely bigoted and corse ways is not exactly surprising given how genuinely unhappy much of the electorate is right now.

Demagogues gonna demagogue.  But sometimes that works.

Mind, I do trust @filmlover's take on Florida more than my own simply coz they're closer to the situation than I am.  But even so, I think if the election was today (and thankfully it isn't) he'd win easily. 

Edited by Porthos

All of this bending over and ass-kissing for nothing. Chapek's pissed off the LGBTQ community and ended up getting clowned by the right, anyways. This won't automatically torpedo his career, but I have to imagine that the BoD is getting increasingly impatient.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This isn't the US General Politics thread, but I do want to make one point concerning DeSantis for our own General Audience when it comes to politics.

Pointing out, quite rightly, that he barely won election in 2018 in a year where the background national mood was very very very favorable to Democrats and expecting that to transition over into 2022 where it... isn't might be setting one's self up for disappointment.

Pond scum is offended when they get compared to DeSantis and I personally hope he loses by 25 points.  But... just pointing out that right now, emphasis on Right    Now, DeSantis might win re-election by double digits.  I personally would probably put the over/under at around an 8 point win without looking too deeply into it.

Now I personally would hope that be tacking far right, even for him, that would hurt him politically.  But appealing to anti-establishment voters in extremely bigoted and corse ways is not exactly surprising given how genuinely unhappy much of the electorate is right now.

Mind, I do trust @filmlover's take on Florida more than my own simply coz they're closer to the situation than I am.  But even so, I think if the election was today (and thankfully it isn't) he'd win easily. 

I've written off Florida for at least the next 10 years. Between the Florida Dems being incompetent, and every close election going the way of the GOP, it's too far gone to get back anytime soon. DeSantis will win by like 6 points, Rubio will coast and then DeSantis will run in 2024, win the nomination by tacking to the right of Orange Mussolini and be clobbered bigly.

We need @Cmasterclayto win the Dem nomination for Governor in 2026. 

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I've written off Florida for at least the next 10 years. Between the Florida Dems being incompetent, and every close election going the way of the GOP, it's too far gone to get back anytime soon. DeSantis will win by like 6 points, Rubio will coast and then DeSantis will run in 2024, win the nomination by tacking to the right of Orange Mussolini and be clobbered bigly.

We need @Cmasterclayto win the Dem nomination for Governor in 2026. 

Working on it! clayforflorida.com

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh, I also believe if the election were held today and not 8 months from now, he would win. However, 8 months is well...8 months...and as someone who lives in this state, I can confirm that he is a very unpopular governor among a not insignificant portion of the state's population that want him out. Especially now that he's becoming known as the governor who put in an active effort in making an enemy out of King Mickey. You don't fuck with The Mouse. And he knows it too. What do you think this election police force that he's signing into legislation to "track voter fraud" is for? Pure intimidation techniques and nothing more. A lot can happen between now and November.

As an aside, friends and family and I all joke that the law is really called "Don't Say (Matt) Gaetz." Now that would be a law that would actually be protecting children.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I'm not American, but how is Matt Gaetz walking free and still has a political career after having sex with underage girls? What?

To paraphrase an iconic Disney attraction, it's a fucked up world after all.

He's under investigation. His buddy closely tied to him, Joel Greenberg, pled guilty last year for child sex trafficking (and other crimes) and has been cooperating with the feds in the investigation in an attempt to reduce his sentence. Buckle up (and bring the popcorn), everyone.

Rule of thumb with the current state of the Republican party: they are masters of projection. Everything they accuse their opponents of doing, is more often than not a confession of the crimes they are actually committing themselves. 

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To paraphrase an iconic Disney attraction, it's a fucked up world after all.

He's under investigation. His buddy closely tied to him, Joel Greenberg, pled guilty last year for child sex trafficking (and other crimes) and has been cooperating with the feds in the investigation in an attempt to reduce his sentence. Buckle up (and bring the popcorn), everyone.

Rule of thumb with the current state of the Republican party: they are masters of projection. Everything they accuse their opponents of doing, is more often than not a confession of the crimes they are actually committing themselves. 

Conservatives, in every culture, project the most.