A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

14 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Something small or well run and doesn’t overlap with Disney too much, such as a video game developer, could be done without issue . Something bigger he would likely have to extend his contract ( which I personally think will happen anyway, the contract extension not necessarily the big deal) as part of that deal, similar to what happened with 20th Century/the launch of Disney+.

I say there's a 50/50 chance he stays on longer than 2 years. 

• Like 1

Like, I thought one of the reasons they brought Iger back was to resuscitate the stock price so they weren't in danger of being bought!

There's a real difference between being bought in a hostile takeover and selling on your own terms, sure.  But this smack of either wishful thinking or trying desperately to look for an angle.

As for "multiple people believe", as Morieris noted, this rumor has been going around for literally a half a decade, if not longer, so of course there's people who think that's the endgame here.   But I wasn't particularly inclined to believe it a few months ago and I'm even less inclined to believe it now.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Apple buying Disney has been a rumor for an incredibly long time and honestly is just gossip and deluded thinking. I could see Disney making a smaller purchase, Hasbro perhaps. Their stock price is pretty low right now due to them diluting the Magic game and selling $1000 packs of reprints that aren't even tournament legal.

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Apple buying Disney has been a rumor for an incredibly long time and honestly is just gossip and deluded thinking. I could see Disney making a smaller purchase, Hasbro perhaps. Their stock price is pretty low right now due to them diluting the Magic game and selling $1000 packs of reprints that aren't even tournament legal.

People might forget, but the reason why there was rumormongering for such a long time is because there was rumormongering for a very long time that Apple wanted to get into the entertainment biz after their smashing success with the iTunes Music Store and the iPod/iPhone/iPad trifecta. 

Entertainment was seen as the next big conquest for Apple (as a side point it's also the same reason why there are never ending discussions about Apple and self-driving cars)

Finally came to a head when AppleTV+ was announced.  When it became clear that Apple was going to try to go it alone, then the main raison d'etre for the purchase went away.  Well that and Disney became too big for a straight cash purchase, even for Apple.

Now Apple is finding itself in the position where its content library hasn't competed with the big boys yet.  But that's a slightly different argument (and indeed why Apple's name comes up frequently in regards to smaller acquisitions).

But so far at least Apple hasn't shown any interest in a super big purchase and Disney hasn't shown any interest in selling itself to someone else.  Could that change?  Of course!   At the same time, Disney jealously guards its name brand independence and corporate history something fierce and I tend to think it'll only sell itself to someone else if it really has to.

After all, unlike the example of say WB, Disney bought ABC and not the other way around.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Like, I thought one of the reasons they brought Iger back was to resuscitate the stock price so they weren't in danger of being bought!

There's a real difference between being bought in a hostile takeover and selling on your own terms, sure.  But this smack of either wishful thinking or trying desperately to look for an angle.

As for "multiple people believe", as Morieris noted, this rumor has been going around for literally a half a decade, if not longer, so of course there's people who think that's the endgame here.   But I wasn't particularly inclined to believe it a few months ago and I'm even less inclined to believe it now.

Yeah, this rumor about Apple buying Disney has been rumor for a long time and I don't see it happening now, either. I do however think getting Chapek out of there was important for not having the company look like a target for a buyout.

• Like 1

Supposedly Iger and co. handpicked Chapel back in 2018 and told him so. What the hell were they thinking? Or is this a classic case of Chapek taking on the role and thinking he needs to charge part of who he is while the board expected him to be the same?

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Supposedly Iger and co. handpicked Chapel back in 2018 and told him so. What the hell were they thinking? Or is this a classic case of Chapek taking on the role and thinking he needs to charge part of who he is while the board expected him to be the same?

I think all of the people Iger wanted to succeed him left overtime. He handpicked Chapek and tried to show him the ropes, but Chapek didn't like the idea of Iger holding his hand and set out to so it his way.

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

People might forget, but the reason why there was rumormongering for such a long time is because there was rumormongering for a very long time that Apple wanted to get into the entertainment biz after their smashing success with the iTunes Music Store and the iPod/iPhone/iPad trifecta. 

Entertainment was seen as the next big conquest for Apple (as a side point it's also the same reason why there are never ending discussions about Apple and self-driving cars)

Finally came to a head when AppleTV+ was announced.  When it became clear that Apple was going to try to go it alone, then the main raison d'etre for the purchase went away.  Well that and Disney became too big for a straight cash purchase, even for Apple.

Now Apple is finding itself in the position where its content library hasn't competed with the big boys yet.  But that's a slightly different argument (and indeed why Apple's name comes up frequently in regards to smaller acquisitions).

But so far at least Apple hasn't shown any interest in a super big purchase and Disney hasn't shown any interest in selling itself to someone else.  Could that change?  Of course!   At the same time, Disney jealously guards its name brand independence and corporate history something fierce and I tend to think it'll only sell itself to someone else if it really has to.

After all, unlike the example of say WB, Disney bought ABC and not the other way around.

Apple buying WB or Paramount makes more sense than buying Disney. I doubt Apple want to be saddled with a Theme Park and Cruise line.

I honestly don't think we'll be seeing another big acquisition from Disney fro a very long time. The company is $45 billion in debt, both from the pandemic and from the Fox purchase, and it's going to take years for them to be in pure profit mode again to the point where they can even think about buying another big company.

I saw one guy on another forum speculate that their next big acquisition would be Sony Pictures. Given Disney's present state, I'd sooner believe the rumors of them being bought out by Apple. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

1 minute ago, El Squibbonator said:

I saw someone on another forum mention the possibility of Disney buying Sony Pictures. What do you think the odds of that are? 

Never happening.

I can see Iger finally getting one his fear of gaming and get EA or Take2. There's been rumours about both before.

13 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I saw someone on another forum mention the possibility of Disney buying Sony Pictures. What do you think the odds of that are? 

Tom Rothman must annoyed AF how "certain people" keep devaluing SONY and rumor-mongering its sale.  But he's cool, calm, collected about it in interviews, too.  He knows how to control a company.  Yes, they didn't have a great 2022 so far, but overall Rothman was credited for righting the ship for them in a big way over the past few years...and they survived the pandemic by not adhering to the default-streaming model that most other studios kowtowed to... Sure, a lot of his big balloons are Spider-Man related...but hey, so what?  They all help the bottom line...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/tom-rothman-sony-pictures-extends-contract-1234989473/

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1