A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

Disney is about to absolutely slaughter  Desantis, it is absolutely a open and shut case of targeting. 

Desantis fucked around, and now he's gonna find out you don't fuck with one of the most powerful companies in the entire world. Has hands in so many pockets, he is going to be embarrassed nationwide for this.

If we had a non-partisan, or hell even moderately partisan, Supreme Court, I might agree with you.  But the current court has basically declared Open Season for many (right wing) laws that even if it expressly is discriminatory in intent is still okay if a legal justification can be constructed after the fact.

I mean, it's always possible that Florida's lawmakers and DeSantis were so brazenly stupid that even this Supreme Court might have to balk at it:

But, then again, Trump was caught on tape numerous times about his rationale for his "Muslim Travel Ban" and that was still upheld, as have quite a few other right wing laws enacted by state legislatures.

We'll see, but the actions of this current court don't give me any real confidence that Disney will ultimately win this one.  The only saving grace for Disney might be if enough of the Supreme Court are still business-friendly enough to think this was a line too far.   

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If we had a non-partisan, or hell even moderately partisan, Supreme Court, I might agree with you.  But the current court has basically declared Open Season for many (right wing) laws that even if it expressly is discriminatory in intent is still okay if a legal justification can be constructed after the fact.

I mean, it's always possible that Florida's lawmakers and DeSantis were so brazenly stupid that even this Supreme Court might have to balk at it:

But, then again, Trump was caught on tape numerous times about his rationale for his "Muslim Travel Ban" and that was still upheld, as have quite a few other right wing laws enacted by state legislatures.

We'll see, but the actions of this current court don't give me any real confidence that Disney will ultimately win this one.  The only saving grace for Disney might be if enough of the Supreme Court are still business-friendly enough to think this was a line too far.   

Disney drags this out costs a lot of people a lot of money, and this just increases the odds of Republican Big Business types to separate from the Trump wing because now its them in the cross hairs. 

Because fighting this could have disastrous affects for them in regards to Citizens United.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Disney drags this out costs a lot of people a lot of money, and this just increases the odds of Republican Big Business types to separate from the Trump wing because now its them in the cross hairs. 

Because fighting this could have disastrous affects for them in regards to Citizens United.

Maybe.  I try not to be too cynical on this board, but in this case I dunno.  Might all depend on Gorsuch as he isn't the culture warrior that Alito has evolved into.  Don't have enough of a read on Barnett to say one way or the other. 

I guess, my real stance is: We'll see.

It's just... I don't have much confidence when it comes to hot button MAGA cultural issues before this current court. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I don't think it's pretty hart to think of other prominent candidates whose campaigns were completely kneecapped from the start after monkeying around instead of focusing on business. 

De Santis made a bad mistake in running on the "culture issues" which even a great many normally GOP voters don't give a damn about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

De Santis made a bad mistake in running on the "culture issues" which even a great many normally GOP voters don't give a damn about.

Culture war stuff seems really high variance and I just don't have a read on how this ultimately shakes out. I was really just making a Gary Hart shitpost. In less than a month, Hart went from announcing his campaign, leading at ~35% in the polls, to  dropping out of the race (before reentering 7 months later). I don't think anyone can/will top that.

monkey-business-the-yacht-that-ruined-th

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

This SC is shady as fuck but unless this SC is ready to overturn or gut their recent Citizen's United ruling DeSantis is toast.  All those Corps giving them money would not be pleased.    DeSantis is already losing big donor money over this stance.

25 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Ron kicking open for the door for Chris Christie. 

Still not wide enough for Christie.

• Like 5

Disney going after this MoRon clearly attempting to violate their First Amendments rights as a company is something you gotta appreciate to see. It really is hilarious how the power-desperate GOP sees themselves as so untouchable and above the law that they can infringe upon the rights of others without having to face *gasp* consequences for their actions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney going after this MoRon clearly attempting to violate their First Amendments rights as a company is something you gotta appreciate to see. It really is hilarious how the power-desperate GOP sees themselves as so untouchable and above the law that they can infringe upon the rights of others without having to face *gasp* consequences for their actions.

And that is not the only card Disney has to play legally. De Santis cannot single out a single company by name and use taxation agains them, clear vioilation of the equal protection clause of the Constituion. You think he would have learned somethng at Harvard Law School, probably the best Law School in the country, but I guess not...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

It really is hilarious how the power-desperate GOP sees themselves as so untouchable and above the law that they can infringe upon the rights of others without having to face *gasp* consequences for their actions.

It's more that DeSantis is soo incredibly desperate now that he's trying to shoot for the moon. He knows Trump will eviscerate him in the Republican primary debates over 'loooosing/being a big loooooser' to Disney if he leaves the fight after realizing that the previous Disney-allied board had limited his oversight capabilities. He's under the impression that his presidential chances are toast if he doesn't get a certified win here and he's not wrong. 😂

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

I think now is as good a time as any to also mention that real life Ron's Gone Wrong had his wedding at Disney World in 2009. There's apparently a whole chapter in that stupid book of his where he claims that he didn't have a clue until his wife mentioned the idea to get married at Disney World that you could, even though it's been a popular destination for couples from all over since forever (you better have very deep pockets if you want to get married on Disney property). No one should be shocked that he didn't do his legal homework about them 14 years later knowing that lmao.

• Haha 1