CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

I would probably call it more of a "retelling" of the character more than anything... It's mainly so it can fit within the world of Godzilla, so the two can battle eventually... which is totally fine. We've had 3 King Kong stories essentially the same, so good for WB and LP/Wanda for doing something DIFFERENT. Never in a million years did I think a Godzilla vs. Kong movie would happen again... it's kind of crazy thinking it's coming to life.. and I'm excited!

• Like 3

KONG SKULL ISLAND(2017) is Not A Sequel or Remake of Any Previous King Kong film. It's A Installment Within The New Trilogy.

From the latest article coverage of the upcoming Kong film.
February 22nd, in Vietnam, Kong Skull Island will be filming its first scene in Ninh Binh and Quang Ninh, followed with filming in Quang Binh.

Media representative of the Skull Island crew, Gregg Brilliant(Unit publicist for Kong Skull Island), brushed away confusion surrounding the film. Confirming that KONG Skull Island is not a sequel of any kind, nor a remake of any kind, to any previous King Kong movie. It's its own unique Kong movie.

Gregg Brilliant later informs that Kong Skull Island is the next installment of the new kaiju trilogy. With the film being the stepping stone that bridges into GODZILLA 2(2018), and later into the finale of GODZILLA vs. KONG(2020).

http://www.sggp.org.vn/dienanh/2016/2/411878/#sthash.j2uco2jq.uxfs&st_refdomain=t.co&st_refquery=/iuxqstcsda

To help with the confusion this movie has.....

On 1/22/2016 at 6:43 PM, kayumanggi said:

The KING KONG vs THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE thread at BOM back in 2005 was fun. ^^

Disney gloated about beating Potter. The 1st Narnia movie was checked out by many folks, just like the 1st Potter. The real questions is, how many of those folks do you retain and for how long. Narnia 2 below 150m was fun.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Disney gloated about beating Potter. The 1st Narnia movie was checked out by many folks, just like the 1st Potter. The real questions is, how many of those folks do you retain and for how long. Narnia 2 below 150m was fun.

It was a huge surprise and disappointment. The opening weekend predictions for CASPIAN were in the 70 M - 85 M range. Then boom! 55 M.

• Like 1

Possibly, but don't forget Godzilla still did 200M in spite of the mixed reviews, and there's still a sequel w/Mothra, Ghidorah and Rodan coming which could do quite a bit more than the 2014 film.

Plus, Godzilla is the creature whose movie that kickstarted this giant monster cinematic universe thing, so I believe it makes sense to give it at the very least equal focus to King Kong.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

The marketing for Godzilla vs. Kong is going to be great. Just picturing the possibilities is simply amazing. They'll focus on both Godzilla and Kong equally. Most likely have them team up to fight something much more dangerous(hoping King Ghidorah). These films WW total should be much higher than G14.. remember, LP merged with Wanda pictures and Wanda owns the majority of theaters in China, so they'll be giving the LP films more theaters etc... The China grosses for these films should be great.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cookson said:

The marketing for Godzilla vs. Kong is going to be great. Just picturing the possibilities is simply amazing. They'll focus on both Godzilla and Kong equally. Most likely have them team up to fight something much more dangerous(hoping King Ghidorah). These films WW total should be much higher than G14.. remember, LP merged with Wanda pictures and Wanda owns the majority of theaters in China, so they'll be giving the LP films more theaters etc... The China grosses for these films should be great.

Godzilla V. Kong: Dawn Of Monstruous Justice. I'd buy a ticket for that. Hell, it's got WB backing and everything.

But in all seriousness, yeah, Godzilla did over 500M WW, and I believe the 2005 King Kong movie also crossed the 500M mark, and both of those movies suffered from mixed WOM - if everybody had agreed that they were legit good (I personally enjoyed both of them), they would've done much higher numbers. Now you put them together, though, and it doesn't even matter for shit if the movie's good or not: billion dollars WW is a fucking lock.

Though personally, I hope that GVK is essentially a set up for a Destroy All Monsters remake (similar to how BVS sets up for JLA). Bring in Gamera, bring in a few more monsters in Godzilla 3/Kong 2, survive a few from Godzilla 2 (at least Mothra has to survive), hell, create a new monster if you want, and put them all together in an epic battle of awesomeness. GET MY MONEY RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Godzilla V. Kong: Dawn Of Monstruous Justice. I'd buy a ticket for that. Hell, it's got WB backing and everything.

But in all seriousness, yeah, Godzilla did over 500M WW, and I believe the 2005 King Kong movie also crossed the 500M mark, and both of those movies suffered from mixed WOM - if everybody had agreed that they were legit good (I personally enjoyed both of them), they would've done much higher numbers. Now you put them together, though, and it doesn't even matter for shit if the movie's good or not: billion dollars WW is a fucking lock.

Though personally, I hope that GVK is essentially a set up for a Destroy All Monsters remake (similar to how BVS sets up for JLA). Bring in Gamera, bring in a few more monsters in Godzilla 3/Kong 2, survive a few from Godzilla 2 (at least Mothra has to survive), hell, create a new monster if you want, and put them all together in an epic battle of awesomeness. GET MY MONEY RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

Yeah, I know, it'll be similar to BvS... but it's what you gotta do. I don't think you can actually give a winner in this, unless they just beat each other till they both pass out... the end.

Yeah, GvsKong is going to easily be the biggest creature feature film at the BO(other than Jurassic Park).. if it doesn't hit 1billion then something like 700-900 should easily happen. I just hope Skull Island and Godzilla 2 sets everything up pretty well.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2016 at 4:28 PM, Cookson said:

Yeah, I know, it'll be similar to BvS... but it's what you gotta do. I don't think you can actually give a winner in this, unless they just beat each other till they both pass out... the end.

Yeah, GvsKong is going to easily be the biggest creature feature film at the BO(other than Jurassic Park).. if it doesn't hit 1billion then something like 700-900 should easily happen. I just hope Skull Island and Godzilla 2 sets everything up pretty well.

Could set world records in Japan  

LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Could set world records in Japan  

LOL

Godzilla vs. Kong could possibly do that. King Kong vs Godzilla in 1962 had a attendance of 12,550,000... the highest attendance for any Godzilla film in Japan.